How to go full time?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• How to go full time?

Greetings. Currently my Part Paid Department is looking to go combination by adding a few full time Firefighters. Anyone out there experienced this on their Department, and have any guides, SOP's, or any materials that could possibly help us out? Thanks in advance!!

If your department is looking at adding full time personnel for the first time, I would reccomend hiring internally. Bringing in outside people to work full time over those that have been there will only divide the department. I reccomend giving a written exam. There are several companies that you can buy tests from or write your own. If you write your own, make questions from textbooks such as IFSTA Essentials, & your own SOP's. Give candidates enough notice of the exam and tell them what to study ahead. Set a minimum passing score prior to the exam, 70% is pretty common. You may want to consider giving bonus points. A certain percentage extra added to a passing raw score for Paramedic training, level 2 fire training, etc. Some departments around here give 1 bonus point for each full year as a part time FF, up to 5 points max. Some type of physical ability test is good too. After these 2 steps, establish an eligibility list in order of top rank. Most departments keep their lists active for 2 years. A 2 step interview process is also pretty common. Usually an officer interview w/ 3-4 Lts. or Capts. And a chief's interview is usually last. If your municipality has a civil service commission, check with them first. They may have guidelines that they have to follow in accordance with your local or state law.

Comment

300x600 Ad Unit (In-View)

Collapse

Upper 300x250

Collapse

Taboola

Collapse

Leader

Collapse
    Working...
    X