• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• NJ Guy Seeks Dream Job

Here's a story about a guy and his DREAM JOB:
    http://www.bergenrecord.com/daurizio...0120001001.htm

Wow, what a moving story! So unique!!
    I'll bet there's no one else in a similar situation!!!

Gimmee a break!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
    Who wrote that, his Mom???

Comment

just because there are many other people out there going through the same stuff to become a firefighter does not mean he needs to be beat up about it, it was a good article, with that attitude you will probably be trying to get hired for quite some time....take the attitude somewhere else!

[This message has been edited by FireRebel (edited October 05, 2000).]

Comment

Been hired for "quite some time". He probably could be too if he concentrated more on convincing an interview panel why they should hire him instead of basically wondering aloud how such an outstanding volly can't get a paid job. He's no different than thousands of others!

Comment

once again just because he is no different from the thousands of other men and women seeking a career in the fire service does not mean he should be bad mouthed and ridiculed...this is not what these forums are about... once again if you do not like it, find another place to whine and criticize..

Comment

Seems to me you're mixed up about who's whining. He's whining to a newspaper, and you're sympathizing w/ him-still trying and trying to get hired yourself, I'll bet!

Me? I've got a paid job! No whining here!
            Keep trying though!!! Someday maybe .....

Comment

you guessed it, I am trying to get hired, At one point in time I imagine you also were trying to get hired, I am not even going to bother making this into an arguement, Like I said before your attitude wont cut it here, so take it somewhere else buddy!

Comment

Absolutely right-no argument here! I've got no beef w/ you. It's certainly not that important to me. But you've missed my point.
                Bottom line-What was the purpose of putting the article in here? Everyone reading this is more than familiar w/ the struggles of getting hired! What is he doing but stepping up onto his soapbox to tell us how deserving he is. What makes him special?-aren't you trying just as hard??? I thought the purpose of this forum was to kinda help give guys a leg up somehow to get hired. I don't see how his article does that.
                Good luck to you in your efforts! I'm not so certain our friend will be successful-he seems to be looking for someone to hand him a job!

Comment

Hey...I'm from Jersey, and we're all in the same boat. I am not going to move out of my home town to be a firefighter in the city. Residency requirements keep many excellent firefighters from getting a decent paying position in the big cities. wrongWAY is taking the step to let people know what is going on. If no one gets on the "soap box" and makes noise, nothing would be done. He should be thanked for getting the word out....not knocked on. Just my oppinion as a VOLUNTEER...we do it for free!

------------------
                  Be safe everyone!

Comment

I'm originally from NJ too, so I know a bit about the system! It's been that way for years-won't change no matter how loud y'all cry and scream. All due to the state governing by the "home rule" system. If you want a job bad enough, you'll do what you have to-including moving! I did-with no regrets! Otherwise, be satisfied being a volly. The system isn't about to change! All the newspaper articles in the world won't do any good!
                    You all will need to set your priorities as to how much you want a job.
                    Good luck!

Comment

Stop crying we all have got problems. If you really want it go get it. I'm from Jersey to lived there for 27 yrs. Finally got the dream job, it is hard at first being away from family and friends. If you want go get it.

Comment

I will have to agree with everyone else who says that whining will not get you a FF job. If anyone has been in the search for getting a FF job, they know that the jobs are SCARCE, no one is going to personally hand you one (they have to be earned through competition, which is fierce!), and waiting for one where there aren't any isn't going to get you hired!

If you aren't willing to move out of your home town to get your dream job, then you really don't want the job! Writing to newspapers, complaining, or whining will not get you any closer! FF apply from all different parts of the country just to get their dream jobs. Every department receives about 1000-1500 applications for every 40 positions available. The competition for those 40 positions are FIERCE and extremely
                        competitive.

I have lived in NJ for 25 years and have worked in the volly system for the last 10 years. If you have been a volly in NJ then you also know that an increase in career FF jobs aren't going to happen anytime soon.
                        With the volly orginizations, strong in tradition, unwilling to admit personnel problems, and municipalities unwilling to do something about the problems, nothing is going to change.

Getting a career as a FF means moving to where the jobs are. Face the facts. I have longed for becoming a career FF. I had to go to Montgomery County MD to earn my position. I commuted 2 hours to work to be able to fullfill my dream career. I know of many FF where I worked that commuted 3 to 4 hours to work! Why? Because they wanted the job! There were also two other volly FF from my station in NJ that had to go to VA to get a FF job (one in Fairfax Co and one in Loudoun Co). It took them and myself over 2 years of applying, competing and going through the process to attain one of these precious positions. No one handed them to us just because we were a volly. The DC metro area has had hirings in 9 different counties over the past 2 years! Where were you? The process is still going on!

The question is: How bad do you want it????

Comment

Preach, Brother, preach!!!!!!!!
                          The last 2 replies have hit it right on the head!! They know the deal. There's a big difference between wanting a job and getting a job.

Comment

to put this issue to rest...as what has been read in this thread, everyone knows I am one of a million people trying to become employed as a FF....when I read this story I sympathized with this individual, I do not believe he was so called " whining"...all you out there know the frustrations that go along with the process of being hired as a FF...so he was just probably "venting". So I do not expect people to judge me or anyone as someone who is just whining, I have tested from the midwest to the west coast, down south trying to get that dream job, as everyone has stated sometimes it is not just that easy getting hired....it takes much more than experience, as I have, more than just schooling, which I have, it takes LUCK, sometimes I question if I have luck on my side....so everyone out there that has gotten " LUCKY" enough to get hired, I applaud you but lets not critcize someone else for trying....

[This message has been edited by FireRebel (edited October 31, 2000).]

Comment

The article and person in question, created what could only be called "hysterical laughter" among those who know the individual. The article should have been put in the "fiction" section of the library. I am one of the people trying to get hired to a paid dept. The difference is that I'm not about to go whining to the local rag about my life story. Half of the information provided in that article was at BEST, a web of lies. I know the reporter's reputation, as well as the individual involved. The bottom line, is that if a person wants to get hired, they will do what is necessary. It's true, the residency requirements need to be addressed, but not by grandstanding in the local paper about one's abilities. That's just my opinion, based on the people and circumstances involved.

Comment

300x600 Ad Unit (In-View)

Collapse

Upper 300x250

Collapse

Taboola

Collapse

Leader

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X