Money or MY DREAM??

Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • fspencer12

Money or MY DREAM??

I am in the process of trying to get hired at a local FD. I don't have the job yet, but I know I'll start out making 30K a year. Not bad, but I have a job now that will be paying me around 50K in the next couple years. I love the fire service, and being a career FF would be the greatest, but wouldn't I be silly to leave. I'll have to move if I get the job, and 30K in a large city is hard to live on. I'm only 26 with a long life ahead of me, but what is a person to do?? Money, or My dream??
  • woody1973

follow your dream, i went the money road and you'll just be wondering the rest of your life. I'm about the same age you are but now i have a family and cant afford to take the pay cut. Follow your heart and you cant go wrong

Comment

• Capt68

Go for the Fire Service. I was pursuing my Degree at Purdue University and was everything but happy. Now I'm in the running for a couple of real good Fire Departments. Do what makes you happier, It's the biggest pay-off in the end. I couldn't be happier now myself.

Comment

• FireRebel

I would agree with everyone, you will be more satisfied later in life if you follow your heart, the money will be there eventually..
        remember money is not the only thing in life..sometimes you only get one shot and fulfilling your life's goals, do not waste it! stay safe and good luck!

Comment

• fspencer12

Thanks for the advice. This is the hardest decision I have ever made in my 26 years. I can always stay at my current job and be a volunteer, but after 7 years of that, I'm ready to do this for real. Waking up each morning and being thrilled that you have to go to work has got to be a good feeling. Where I work now is okay, but its not fun, and I sometimes wonder if it worth the money. It's like you all said, this is my only chance to follow my dream, and it's now, or never. I'll let you guys know what happens, and hopefully I'll know something in a couple weeks.

Comment

• E229Lt

18 years ago I took a 50% pay cut. This was the greatest demotion I ever had.

Comment

• abnfftr

Wow!! I am in the same situation. I am in my late 30's. I have been involved in EMS and Firefighting for 12 years. I have an opportunity to join a full time department in 6 months. I will be giving up a senior level sales postition paying silly money!! But, I love the fire service. My family is the most important thing in my life. My issue is that I feel that I will place them in finacial jeopardy by taking this postion. Is it selfish!!! I belive that our quality of life will be better, even though the quantity will be less.

Comment

• FireRebel

one great thing with the fire service is that most cities, departments work such flexible hrs. like 24 on 48 off, plenty of extra time to work that part time job to help supplement the income....

Comment

• LCFD411

I agree with the other posts here -- Follow your dream! I recently was faced with the same decision. I have worked as a financial analyst for 9 years, but decided to take a shot at getting a full-time job as a firefighter even though it would be a substantial cut in pay. I made it through the application process and start the fire academy on Monday.
                  Good Luck!

Comment

300x600 Ad Unit (In-View)

Collapse

Upper 300x250

Collapse

Taboola

Collapse

Leader

Collapse
                  Working...