help finding jobs

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• help finding jobs

Any thoughts that will get me started in firefighting. Where should I get started?

I am going to assume you are interested in career opportunities. First and formost you should get an education. In this business the more you know, the further hyou go. Check out your local community college, an associate degree will give you an excellent base to work from. There are also good online college programs too. Secondly, get some experience with your volunteer department (if your not already). You can get an idea if you like the work and how it suits you, caution; dont expect the career dept to be like the volunteer dept, there are many differences.
    Thirdly, research where you would like to work. Compare several departments with regards to pay, benefits,work enviornment, commute etc. Be honest, if you want to work in a large city, dont look at small towns- you wont be happy. Finally develop a short list of the places you would be willing to work and apply to them.
    Best Wishes in your search

Comment

In my never to be humble opinion I would get my emt all the way to paramedic while I took Fire science classes. I have been a paid member of 3 depts. and they would have all hired a paramedic before anyone with a fire science degree.

Comment

cpthunt has it about right. Get your classes/ degree first. I'd like to finish mine but work and family won't allow it right now. I wanted in to 'run the calls' too bad. Take your time, get your education and research where you want to be in 5, 10, 20 years. This profession is a career of a lifetime, not just a job.

Comment

Hi fellow brothers.
          I'm looking for a firefighting postion is Pennsylvania, New York, Massacheuetts or Connecicut. Anyone with information or help let me know.
          Thank-you and see you and be safe

Comment

Cicero,

Just to let you know i am also looking for A career opportunity. i am 18 going to be 19 in june. why don't we communicate better and find out what's happening and go through this process together. I live in ohio, about 30 minutes from Pennsylvania and i will be glad to give you any information as it comes to me if you will do the same for me.

Thanks
            Chris Medley
            [email protected]

------------------
            Its About "Team work"

Comment

300x600 Ad Unit (In-View)

Collapse

Upper 300x250

Collapse

Taboola

Collapse