No announcement yet.

Pagers & Radios in Church?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

When my family and I attend church. I put my pager on alert so it will only go off when my dept gets a call. I agree with most answers. I will only go if it something i can help with.
    Gary Newcomb
    FireFighter
    Mt.Pleasant Vol Fire Co.

Comment

I don't take my fire pager with me to church, however I do take my fire walkie and EMS pager (has vibrate) and leave both on low volume (walkie on pager setting most times) and only leave if it is a worker (14 member dept. and church is out of response area). I have been needed at my church before for a elderly member passing out during or directly after the sermon. The pastor is a family friend and understands if I leave in the middle of his sermon because I am doing a good deed for God and the community. My girlfriend isn't too hip on me leaving church for a fire / ems call.

Comment

i bring my pager into church with me, but i have it on vibrate and as low volume as i possibly can so i don't disturb anyone. i haven't had a call in church yet, so God is watching out over my town while i go to church. but if i did, i would just get up silently and walk out as quietly as possible.

the only times in church my pager is off is for Christmas and Easter masses.

Comment

I don't go to church.

Lol.

Seriously...nothing ticks me off more than some yippie in a restaraunt or public place, with his/her pager on max volume, tones sounding, dispatch speaking, etc without at least turning the darn thing down.

If you are a FF / Medic and you recieve a callout on your pager. The callout is for you to respond to, not the whole restaraunt, so why have it cranked for them to hear? It's none of their business. They'll read it in the news or the gossip later on.

Not to mention, you give them the location, and next thing you know bob that was sitting at the other table across from you beats you to the scene and starts barking orders !

It's not difficult to reach over and turn down the volume knob, even as your running out the door. It's called multi-tasking...and if you can't multi-task, why are you a firefighter.
          "You see things and you ask, 'Why'? I dream of things that never were and I say, 'Why not'?

"I used to work in a fire hydrant factory. You couldn't park anywhere near the place."

"When you are kind to someone in trouble, you hope they'll remember and be kind to someone else. And it'll become like a wildfire."

Comment

There is no need for anyone to leave their fire pager turned on during church. They should be turned off in church, plain and simple. There is no need to distract and disrespect the congregation because you're that much of a buff. Nobody expects a volunteer firefighter to be available to respond to calls 24/7. Your family, your health, your career, and God all come before volunteer firefighting. And if your fire department really relies on one or two people having to leave church to repond to an emergency, then I think it's time to hire some career staff.

Comment

Unless, of course, your department is composed of 100% church goers. Who all love to attend Sunday mass.

....Now what ironmint?

One of the reasons why firefighters are firefighters (and I'm sure you can relate) is to attend to help a person in need when they are in a situation where their life is at risk and they can no longer help themselves.

Unfortunately, emergencies happen when they happen, not when we would like them to (which I hope the majority votes never!). So if it happens in church, and members there have the common sense to put their pagers on vibrate and excuse themselves when they feel the pager go off, and turn it down or off immediately so as not to disrupt the mass. There is nothing wrong with that. (I'm sure your dispatch sends more than one page alert? so you won't miss anything by turning off the pager until you get outside).

Unless the unruly sonofagun is stomping his/her feet as hard as they can while they are walking out the door, I can't see how this can disrupt anything.

Again...common sense overrules.
              "You see things and you ask, 'Why'? I dream of things that never were and I say, 'Why not'?

"I used to work in a fire hydrant factory. You couldn't park anywhere near the place."

"When you are kind to someone in trouble, you hope they'll remember and be kind to someone else. And it'll become like a wildfire."

Comment

When I was growing up, our priest had a brother on the job in Boston. When pagers went off, and volunteers jumped up and ran toward the exists, he would pause until they had left the building. Then he would offer a prayer to St. Florian, and continue with the service.

Comment

Originally posted by ChiefDog View Post
                  Every incident you respond to is "HIS TIME." You are doing what he wants you to do. He is responding to others needs through your actions. If you don't act on his behalf, who will.
                  Wow. That's a powerful message ChiefDog. I don't usually read this area of the forums, but I'm sure glad I did tonight. There's much food for thought in what you say. Thanks for posting it.

Comment

Wwjd

If someone is in need and you could make a difference doing so is living the word of our Lord. We can have a tone alert pager and be respectful.
                    Last edited by KEN7606; 03-11-2007, 08:26 AM.

Comment

I have always carried my pager (Vibrate,volume low) in church, restauraunt, store, etc.. You have to almost program your mind to get in the habit of doing this. We even have made this part of a class with the new recruits. We tell them it is only being respectfull for others around them. And as far as their church they should talk to their minister/priest and see what THEY want for that member to do as far as the pager during services.

Comment

Get a Minitor V, set it to privacy vibrate and there's no reason to turn it down, it's silent; nothing comes out of the speaker on this setting. The page is saved and you can play it all you want after you leave.

BTW, the only thing I'll be in church for without a pager is my funeral. Even that's not certain yet, maybe I'll take one with me
                        Nobody ever called the fire department for doing something smart.

Comment

Originally posted by jeriaemt View Post
                          Recruit your clergy member and they will better understand you sitting in the back and leaving in the middle of the sermon.
                          How many volly squads have a chaplin?
                          In my three man in-house basic class,we had two guys that took over the pastoral duty for our department.One is Pentecostal and the other is either Methodist or Unitarian,I can't recall at this time.It didn't matter to me.If I needed someone to vouch for me to God,I wasn't going to be concerned as to how they prayed.I know He will hear the prayers.
                          One of them keeps getting pulled over for speeding when he responds even though he has a "Ky Vol. Firefighter" license plate.
                          Another church going member used to have a pager that didn't have the vibrate function but his fellow parishioners had a sense of humor.We'd get tapped out and someone would be sure to ask them later if "We weren't sure,Mike,were we ALL supposed to go with you?".

Comment

In my church the priest stops anyway , as we are only half a block from the siren and a block form the firehouse. My new pager is on vibrate anyway my old one the vibrate didnt work, yet no one ever seemed to care. I guess its a good thing that so many of us go to church.

Comment

Originally posted by doughesson View Post
                              One of them keeps getting pulled over for speeding when he responds even though he has a "Ky Vol. Firefighter" license plate.
                              O.T.: "even though"? What does having a KVF license plate got to do with being pulled over for speeding? License plates don't provide immunity from speed limits in KY, do they?
                              "Nemo Plus Voluptatis Quam Nos Habant"
                              sigpic
                              The Code is more what you'd call "guidelines" than actual rules.

Comment

No,he swears he doesn't exceed 10 over the limit.It might be true,but then he'd come down through a residential part of our district that is limited at 35 mph so that might have something to do with it.
                                Most jurisdictions seemed to have winked at people with Vol FF plates on their cars.I am sure that they do stop people hurrying to fire calls,the aformentioned friend is a case in point.
                                Another possibility is that the deputies doing the stops simply didn't know he was on the department and since at the time there was no ID card issued,he'd really have no way to prove it outside of going to court.

Originally posted by DeputyMarshal View Post
                                O.T.: "even though"? What does having a KVF license plate got to do with being pulled over for speeding? License plates don't provide immunity from speed limits in KY, do they?

Comment

300x600 Ad Unit (In-View)

Collapse

Upper 300x250

Collapse

Taboola

Collapse

Leader

Collapse
                                Working...
                                X