No announcement yet.

Pagers & Radios in Church?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Quite a while back there was a minister and a priest on the fire department. Story has it that if the fire siren would go off during church they would both leave their congragations and go on the call. The only time they wouldn't go was for a wedding or funeral because it was not fair to the families.

In the 90's the groom, best man, and 1 usher left a wedding after the minister presented the bride and groom as Mr. and Mrs. When they were asked about it they said the bride told them to go at least find out if they were needed. It was only a bale fire so they returned to the church. They got the best dressed firefighters award at the firefighter's annual appreciation supper.

Brad

Comment

Like the good churchgoer I am, always sit in the back and always on vibrate. One time during a service the priest was giving the blessing and somebody had their pager on alert. The house siren went off about the same time so the blessing came out "In the name of the father, the son and the holy smoke" as about 4 firefighters went to leave at the same time. Anyway, the priest was a good egg about it as the fire department had helped the church out with many small projects over the years. Sure as heck was interesting though.

Comment

pager in church

I am an assistant chief on my dept. but attend church out of the immediate area. When the chief or other officers are going to be out of town and I may be needed I leave it on vibrate but also wear an ear wig so nobody else can hear the voice message. Otherwise it's in the truck till after church.
        God bless and protect each and everyone of you.

Comment

Do yall carry your pager and or radio into church?
          Nope. Siren on top of building, which is 2 blocks away, is enough to let us know there is a call.
          "This thread is being closed as it is off-topic and not related to the fire industry." - Isn't that what the Off Duty forum was for?

Comment

i take mine and put it on vibrate, never had an issue with it going off. we actually got paged to my church once for a medical call so if i had been there i wouldnt of had to go far but i was out of town that weekend.
            "Let's Roll." Todd Beamer 9/11 first soldier in the war on terror

"I pledge allegiance to the flag of the United States of America. And to the republic for which it stands ONE NATION UNDER GOD indivisible,with liberty, and justice for all.

I.A.C.O.J. Probie and darn proud of it.

Comment

get the clergy involved!

Recruit your clergy member and they will better understand you sitting in the back and leaving in the middle of the sermon.

How many volly squads have a chaplin?

Comment

Originally posted by SWLAFireDawg View Post
                For me, church is "personal time". .
                For me, anytime that I am not at work is "personal time". Even when I am at the station for training/business meeting/maintenance. I consider this personal time. So, for ME, I would (and have) responded from church.

I too believe that one should have their pager on vibrate (or at least have an ear-bud) so as to not disrupt the service.
                Last edited by THEFIRENUT; 03-02-2007, 04:02 AM.
                Just someone trying to help! (And by the way....Thanks for YOUR help!)

Aggressive does not have to equal stupid.

** "The comments made here are this person's views and possibly that of the organizations to which I am affiliated" **

Comment

Originally posted by DeputyMarshal View Post
                  Basic Pager/Phone Etiquette

These should apply not just to church but to any other public space you happen to visit where people are trying to attend to something other than your pages and phone calls (lectures, meetings, shared offices, any restaurant fancier than McDonalds, etc.:

1) Pager/phone off unless you expect urgent calls that legitimately can't wait until afterwards when you're on your own time.

2) If your pager/phone is going to stay on, put it on vibrate.
                  2a) If your pager/phone doesn't have a vibrate setting, get one that does, turn it off, or stay out of public spaces with it altogether.

3) If you're going to answer the phone, take it outside the hall and far enough away from the door not to be a distraction to those inside.
                  3a) Everybody else in the room came to hear something else. Nobody wants to hear your phone call.

4) If you plan on taking calls (phone calls, emergency dispatches, etc.), sit near a door (preferrably in the back) and on an aisle so you can leave with the least disturbance to the rest of the audience/congregation/whatever.

5) If there's a sign posted with pager/phone rules on it, follow the rules, you're a guest. A "no pagers" policy means "no pagers".
                  I too believe in phone/pager etiquette, but I don't believe that this would include emergency pagers. For those departments that don't "man" their stations (like mine), this would mean that all members would have to give up having any kind of "life" outside the fire department for fearing they might offend someone when their "emergency" page went off. All I am trying to say is we need to be able to get our members to the station some how.
                  Just someone trying to help! (And by the way....Thanks for YOUR help!)

Aggressive does not have to equal stupid.

** "The comments made here are this person's views and possibly that of the organizations to which I am affiliated" **

Comment

For me, church is "personal time". The phone and pager stays in the truck. When I get back in the truck I check both.

I would never leave my wife and child at the church so I can make a call that may take who knows how long, and I won't take two vehicles for the slight chance of getting a page.

Church helps me cope with the bad things we see, and helps center my spirit enough so those bad things do not affect my personal life.

Just my opinion.

I agree Dawg.

I don't bring my phones or pager into the Church. I enjoy my time in the presence of the Lord. Although, I do understand that some departments could have staffing problems and all members are needed to respond to the to alarms.
                    Fortune does not change men; it unmasks them.

The grass ain't greener, the wine ain't sweeter!! Either side of the hill.

IACOJ PROUD

Comment

As the majority of those who've responded I have my pager on at church set to vibrate and low volume. I usually get called out once a month. No one has a problem with it at all.

Comment

Same here.Though some of the bros at my old department would take theirs in but on vibrate.I'm not sure how they squared things with God or their wives when they take off before Communion but evidently it's been worked out.They're still married and the church parking lot isn't potholed from warning shots from above.

For me, church is "personal time". The phone and pager stays in the truck. When I get back in the truck I check both.
                        I would never leave my wife and child at the church so I can make a call that may take who knows how long, and I won't take two vehicles for the slight chance of getting a page.
                        Church helps me cope with the bad things we see, and helps center my spirit enough so those bad things do not affect my personal life.
                        Just my opinion.

Comment

Divine Intervention

Some years ago our church was struck by lightning and set on fire. Volunteer companies from all over the county responded, and were instrumental in saving the structure. So no one has a problem with me carrying my pager, set on vibrate. In addition, I have been present at a couple of medical episodes for some of our older members.
                          Our pastor is former military, and we have several active duty/reserve members (some of whom are also volunteers), so our 9/11 memorial service is a fixture of the church calendar. All these factors together mean the volunteer fire service is an integral part of what we do and are in our community.

Comment

Originally posted by Catch22 View Post
                            Well said.

My personal outlook is this: God calls upon certain people to do the job that we do, and it is the christian thing to help others in their times of need. Who are we to defy God's calling. One pastor I talked with about the situation actually opened my eyes and mind to this idea.
                            I agree. If you have been listening during the services or read the good book(s) and you don't get that point you haven't been paying attention.

Can you honestly answer the following question? You're at the Pearly gates talking to the Almighty and he asks, "Did you do everything you could? "

I personally would not want to say, "[I]I ignored your teachings and sat through a sermon and allowed something bad to happen, I needed "My time[/I]." "

Guess what, you just ignored what you have been called to do for "HIS TIME." (Read the books.) Every incident you respond to is "HIS TIME." You are doing what he wants you to do. He is responding to others needs through your actions. If you don't act on his behalf, who will.

Obviously, you don't set through the services with tones and radio traffic blasting during church, but the pager on vibrate alert, turned down you you know when things are happening falls under the teachings you are listening to from the pastor, priest, rabbi or whomever is leading your services.

Comment

I do not carry my pager to church any more due to the fact my church is 15 miles from the station and another member will answer the call. (Our station is manned on Sat & Sun 8-4). But when I did go to church close to the station I always carried my pager. This was before vibrate was a feature on pagers. The pager was turned down to low. The pastor at that time was one of our volunteers. He did not carry his pager during the service.

One call I remember was a church member being in full cardiac arrest 20 minutes before Sunday School started at her residence. Several members answered the call and transported her to the hosiptol where unfortunatly she passed away. The pastor met us at the hosiptol and he kept saying I wish I knew about the call. He then went back to the church and we had one of the best services I had ever been in.

I can also say in the 25 years I have been in the fire service we do not have many calls for service on Sunday morning!

Comment

probably the only member of the department i used to be on that doesnt carry his pager to church is the pastor! most keep them on vibrate or very low volume

Comment

300x600 Ad Unit (In-View)

Collapse

Upper 300x250

Collapse

Taboola

Collapse

Leader

Collapse
                                Working...
                                X