Leader

Collapse

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Dealing with useless members

Collapse
X
 
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • #46
    Sounds like a damn good idea!

    Ive pmed my e-mail, I would be intrested in that procedure. How long has your dept been doing that? Only problem is here in up-state NY its so damn cold most of the year, that washing off with more water is a chilling thought. The part about taking vitals is important though,Ive read alot of stories about guys getting sick hours after returning.

    Comment


    • #47
      Originally posted by xcable View Post
      Ive pmed my e-mail, I would be intrested in that procedure. How long has your dept been doing that? Only problem is here in up-state NY its so damn cold most of the year, that washing off with more water is a chilling thought. The part about taking vitals is important though,Ive read alot of stories about guys getting sick hours after returning.
      We've been doing it for a few years now. As far as the winter goes we have large tents or canopies with sides on them whatever you want to call it with heaters in them. It's surprising how warm it gets in there. I'll give you or send you or sogs for rehab.

      Comment


      • #48
        Originally posted by Haweater View Post
        As much as everyone is saying that there is a place for everyone on a department, I must disagree. We've had more than one person like the one described in the first post; and it was a happy day when each one of them was gone. Some people have learning disabilities and will just never catch on. They're dangerous. Had one guy that was with another department for EIGHT years who, when doing his first truck check on training night, couldn't identify a combination nozzle - had a siamese in his hand.
        The big question is, is he trying to learn on his own? If he's trying to learn and can't, best to say good-bye. If he's just not trying to learn, it should be made clear that he's expected to improve or find something that doesn't require the ability to learn a great deal in limited time. Let's face it, on a volunteer department, there isn't a lot of training, you're expected to learn on your own to a certain degree. If you don't get what was covered in training, make it up on your own time. There are lots of areas you can learn - this site and forum is an excellent one. Grab the IFSTA manual, read. Can he read? That's not a smartass question, maybe he can't.
        Just my $0.02
        G
        100% agreed. Voliies are vollies for a reason..Not to be rude, there isnt a need for alot of training to do a surround and drown..I actually know a few good vollies, They are older and do a good job. BUT, On the issue of rehab..Get the job done then rehab. You really dont need much more than water and krispy kremes for a good rehab!!
        Last edited by profire1; 05-18-2007, 03:28 PM.

        Comment


        • #49
          When I've come out of a structure and into rehab, all we ever have is water and Paramedics awaiting those who have used two bottles of air.
          If someone with multiple personalities threatens to kill himself, is it considered a hostage situation?

          Ryan

          Comment


          • #50
            Originally posted by profire1 View Post
            100% agreed. Voliies are vollies for a reason..Not to be rude, there isnt a need for alot of training to do a surround and drown..I actually know a few good vollies, They are older and do a good job. BUT, On the issue of rehab..Get the job done then rehab. You really dont need much more than water and krispy kremes for a good rehab!!
            I have been firefighting for almost 10 years, and not a single VOLUNTEER dept that I have ever been on has ever done a surround and drown on a viable structure.

            Comment


            • #51
              Originally posted by FireDawgEMT22 View Post
              I have been firefighting for almost 10 years, and not a single VOLUNTEER dept that I have ever been on has ever done a surround and drown on a viable structure.
              Pure Drivel...100% not true.

              Comment


              • #52
                I'd also like to know how you can fail FF2 if you didnt pass FF1. Isnt passing 1 a prerequiste for taking ff2?

                Comment


                • #53
                  I'm not going to say we have never done a surround and drown because some fires are just too out of hand when you arrive. But we always at least make an attempt to get in.


                  I have however heard of depts around my dept that refuse to do any interior and count on their mutual aid to do so. Thankfully they have mutual aid within 5 minutes on either side of them
                  If someone with multiple personalities threatens to kill himself, is it considered a hostage situation?

                  Ryan

                  Comment


                  • #54
                    profire1:

                    100% agreed. Voliies are vollies for a reason..Not to be rude, there isnt a need for alot of training to do a surround and drown..I actually know a few good vollies, They are older and do a good job. BUT, On the issue of rehab..Get the job done then rehab. You really dont need much more than water and krispy kremes for a good rehab!!
                    Right, and YOU are an expert on EVERY volunteer fire department in the country. Comments like this are posted for one of two reasons. To stir the pot and **** people off, or more often by ignorant people shooting their mouths off about something they know absolutely nothing about.

                    profire1:

                    Originally Posted by FireDawgEMT22
                    I have been firefighting for almost 10 years, and not a single VOLUNTEER dept that I have ever been on has ever done a surround and drown on a viable structure.
                    Pure Drivel...100% not true.

                    Every fire department everywhere has done surround and drowns, whether it is the largest paid FD or the smallest volly FD. So to say an FD has never done one is probably not true. But to imply that that is ALL volunteer FD's do is just as unbelievable.
                    Hey profire1 how about you add something to any topic that is of value instead of spouting this nonsense. Or is this the best you can do? Are you a one trick pony? Becaue it sure seems that way.

                    Just to let you know, before you fire your shots at me, I am a career firefighter as well as a volunteer firefighter. Pay status has little to do with whether someone is a good firefighter or a huge slug and if you are honest even you would admit that.

                    FyredUp
                    Crazy, but that's how it goes
                    Millions of people living as foes
                    Maybe it's not too late
                    To learn how to love, and forget how to hate

                    Comment


                    • #55
                      Originally posted by FyredUp View Post
                      Right, and YOU are an expert on EVERY volunteer fire department in the country. Comments like this are posted for one of two reasons. To stir the pot and **** people off, or more often by ignorant people shooting their mouths off about something they know absolutely nothing about.



                      Hey profire1 how about you add something to any topic that is of value instead of spouting this nonsense. Or is this the best you can do? Are you a one trick pony? Becaue it sure seems that way.

                      Just to let you know, before you fire your shots at me, I am a career firefighter as well as a volunteer firefighter. Pay status has little to do with whether someone is a good firefighter or a huge slug and if you are honest even you would admit that.

                      FyredUp
                      Our firefighters that ar eboth professional and volunteer..Are mostly single guys with no life...just sayin. You must be an exception.
                      Last edited by profire1; 05-19-2007, 12:43 AM.

                      Comment


                      • #56
                        Originally posted by profire1 View Post
                        Our firefighters that ar eboth professional and volunteer..Are mostly single guys with no life...just sayin. You must be an exception.
                        Oh my God!! That's the best you could do? What a freaking joke you are.

                        Please try harder with your next post because the quality of your posts so far are lacking in content, value, and even humor.

                        FyredUp
                        Crazy, but that's how it goes
                        Millions of people living as foes
                        Maybe it's not too late
                        To learn how to love, and forget how to hate

                        Comment


                        • #57
                          Originally posted by FyredUp View Post
                          Oh my God!! That's the best you could do? What a freaking joke you are.

                          Please try harder with your next post because the quality of your posts so far are lacking in content, value, and even humor.

                          FyredUp
                          you repsond to them so they must be down to your level.
                          Last edited by profire1; 05-19-2007, 01:03 AM.

                          Comment


                          • #58
                            I didnt say we have never done a surround and drown. I said we have never done a surround and drown on a viable structure. Meaning, a structure we can save, that we can gain entry into and make an offensive attack on the fire. Yes every dept has done a surround and drown, and I was not saying we had not.

                            Comment


                            • #59
                              Originally posted by profire1 View Post
                              you repsond to them so they must be down to your level.
                              Not really. I had to look down to see where the annoying noise that was your post came from.

                              How about just once you actually add something of value to a post here instead of your volly hatred and your self loathing for being a firefighter. You must be a sad, angry, pitiful man that is a real treat to work with.

                              But even still, Have a nice day.

                              FyredUp
                              Crazy, but that's how it goes
                              Millions of people living as foes
                              Maybe it's not too late
                              To learn how to love, and forget how to hate

                              Comment


                              • #60
                                I guess to add something usefull you need at Least some Understanding of the subject so my guess is he is NOT Pro so if he fills out an application maybe he can start with handing out the ham sandwichs and work his way up. and by all those post in a "shift" he cant be in a busy Place maybe home from Jr High?

                                Comment

                                300x600 Ad Unit (In-View)

                                Collapse

                                Upper 300x250

                                Collapse

                                Taboola

                                Collapse

                                Leader

                                Collapse
                                Working...
                                X