Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Radio

Hello,

I am new to EMS and firefighting, and I am wondering what kind of scanners you all use. I am about to join a volunteer fire department in my town and was looking at scanners, but wanted to take a poll and see what kind of scanners people use and what they think of them.

Do people even use scanners anymore or are we on pagers now?

In My Opinion The Bearcat 350a Is The Best Scanner. Also Depending On The Dept You Join They May Issue A Pager, But I Know Some Dept Make You Purchase Your Own.
    Good Luck
    YOU ONLY NEED TO BE STUPID ONCE TO BE DEAD FOREVER!

Comment

Originally posted by RAMFIRE42 View Post
      In My Opinion The Bearcat 350a Is The Best Scanner.
      I agree, good scanner but most departments should issue pagers.
      "In general terms, firefighting isn't always about putting the fire out; its about making sure anything else doesn't catch on fire. What's burned is burned. Once you understand this, your tunnel vision is replaced by effective strategy."

Comment

that's what I have also, the only thing I don't like is it don't have the priority function otherwise it's a good scanner

Comment

It depends on what you need out of the scanner. I use a Radio Shack Pro-96. It all depends on what type of radio system your department has also.
          Marshall Griffiss EMT/FF
          Chaires Capitola Fire Rescue
          Tallahassee, Fl.
          www.stitchingbydesign.net
          Washington Lodge #2 F&AM
          Past Master
          Ham Radio: N4DOG General Class
          IACOJ

Comment

First you need to find out what type of radio system your department uses. If it is a trunked system you will need a trunking scanner. Some still use VHF radios. Careful about carrying a mobile scanner in the car; some states require an amateur license to carry one.

Comment

I have a Radio Shack Pro-97. It is alot more than I need. I got it for my wife so she could listen while I was out on a call.
              sigpic

Comment

My dept. issues a radio and pager. Scanners are perfect for loved ones to use to know what is going on at the scene.
                FF/Paramedic

Comment

I have an older Uniden scanner that works good.I also carry a hand held radio that scans and works better than my pager.The Minitor 2 pager is smaller than the radio but doesn't work as well in my opinion and it cost alot more.

Comment

The Scanner I use is called Search..Try it..Works well.
                    If someone with multiple personalities threatens to kill himself, is it considered a hostage situation?

Ryan

Comment

As others have said, it depends on the radio system used by your Department. Depending on the system you shell out between $10 and $500 on a scanner.
                      If you're new to the Department, I'd wait before spending any money on a scanner. The Department should issue you a pager which at a minimum will tell you when to go to the station. That may be good enough and you wouldn't have to pay anything.
                      Join the Department, learn how they use their pagers and radios, then decide what, if anything, you need to purchase.

Congrats on joining your department!
                      So you call this your free country
                      Tell me why it costs so much to live
                      -3dd

Comment

I have an old Uniden that I use to Monitor the surounding Dept. ( I am on the south east Corner of my County) But I do have My pager as well

Comment

300x600 Ad Unit (In-View)

Collapse

Upper 300x250

Collapse

Taboola

Collapse

Leader

Collapse
                        Working...
                        X