Leader

Collapse

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Does your FD have a Bd of Commissioners !

Collapse
X
 
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • Does your FD have a Bd of Commissioners !

    Any Vol fire departments run by a Board Of Fire Commissioners,if so do you have to be a part of a " CLICK " to get new equipment, higher ranking, or to become a driver ? Please feel free to voice your option.

  • #2
    Yep we have a Board of Commissioners. At the moment I am having my doubts about their usefulness. Instead of representing the volunteers they seem to let the county run right over us without saying a word.

    Comment


    • #3
      We're not all like that

      in Missouri we're called Directors rather than commissioners, I am the one the guys come to when they need or want something, in fact I just got off the phone with 2 of my FF's who are at winter fire school, they found a great deal on some demo bunker gear, I made a couple calls and called them back and gave them the OK to but 3 set's.

      I took 3 days off work to fly to Dallas to attend one of Kurt's seminars so maybe I can get them some of Uncle Sugar's money this year too.

      Comment


      • #4
        5 Member Board

        The Board Of Fire Commissioners that run departments in New Jersey are made up of five members who are elected by the voters of the town they live in.They are paid about $ 3,500 - $ 5,000 per year for there services such as meetings, purchasing, acounting, staffing, etc. The election this year is on Feb 17,2007 from 2pm-9pm not many people go out to vote for fire department budgets. If you are not happy with your present board members this is the time to voice your option and " remove them from office ".

        Comment


        • #5
          Here in southern MO, we have a board of directors, made up of boardmembers.

          My department has 7, I am one.

          I am also the Chief. I can honestly say that my board has NEVER gone
          against one of my decisions - maybe some heated discussion now and then,
          but down to the wire, they have agreed. Great board.

          Unpaid board.

          Do you have to be part of a "clique" to be promoted, get new gear, etc on our department? Nope. You just have to show to the Chief desire to be a good firefighter, show up for training, make calls, have a good attitude. (NO DRAMA)

          My board has no impact on any of the items you mentioned.

          Comment


          • #6
            New to the boards here so bare with me here. I am a Vol. FF and I am also on our local board. No one is on a paid position and we all represent our respective stations. We take concerns from our stations to the board meetings which are held twice a month and depending on the budget and needs of our parish, we get what we need, not neccesarily what want! Its a good system for what we are....small and relaint on each other......Dave

            Comment


            • #7
              Originally posted by NewJerseyFFII View Post
              The Board Of Fire Commissioners that run departments in New Jersey are made up of five members who are elected by the voters of the town they live in.They are paid about $ 3,500 - $ 5,000 per year for there services such as meetings, purchasing, acounting, staffing, etc. The election this year is on Feb 17,2007 from 2pm-9pm not many people go out to vote for fire department budgets. If you are not happy with your present board members this is the time to voice your option and " remove them from office ".
              *nods* That's just about everything I was gonna say.
              Janvier Volunteer Fire Company
              Station 43-2
              ~~~
              New Jersey Forest Fire Service
              South Jersey
              Division C Section 9
              C25

              Comment


              • #8
                No districts/board of commissioners here.

                Our Board of Fire Officers runs the department.
                "This thread is being closed as it is off-topic and not related to the fire industry." - Isn't that what the Off Duty forum was for?

                Comment


                • #9
                  Originally posted by Bones42 View Post
                  No districts/board of commissioners here.

                  Our Board of Fire Officers runs the department.
                  Is the Point Pleasant Fire Department operated by a budget from the town, and who funds any new apparatus purchases ?

                  Comment


                  • #10
                    As far as I know, the Point Pleasant Fire Department is funded by their town and the town purchases their trucks most of the time. They have, once in a while, purchased/leased their own. But I'm not positive as I am not a member there.

                    The Point Pleasant Beach Fire Department is funded as a line item in the town's overall budget. No fire tax, we're just a little piece of the big pie. Way too little. Our Board of Officers submit a budget request each year and as long as we only go for a 3% increase, there is no problem getting it. We (the town) bond a new truck every 5 years and keep them running for 20. There is no approval process or request process for items to purchase, that is left up to us as they are politicians and don't know much about firefighting.

                    There's good and bad to what we have compared to nearby towns that have districts and fire taxes and commissioners and such.
                    "This thread is being closed as it is off-topic and not related to the fire industry." - Isn't that what the Off Duty forum was for?

                    Comment


                    • #11
                      Originally posted by Bones42 View Post
                      As far as I know, the Point Pleasant Fire Department is funded by their town and the town purchases their trucks most of the time. They have, once in a while, purchased/leased their own. But I'm not positive as I am not a member there.

                      The Point Pleasant Beach Fire Department is funded as a line item in the town's overall budget. No fire tax, we're just a little piece of the big pie. Way too little. Our Board of Officers submit a budget request each year and as long as we only go for a 3% increase, there is no problem getting it. We (the town) bond a new truck every 5 years and keep them running for 20. There is no approval process or request process for items to purchase, that is left up to us as they are politicians and don't know much about firefighting.

                      There's good and bad to what we have compared to nearby towns that have districts and fire taxes and commissioners and such.
                      Here in Woodbridge Township we have a total of nine fire districts with different fire taxes for each town, a new fire truck must be placed on the ballet for voter approval with capital funds. Any new apparatus can be purchased with a bond or outright capital money saved by the fire department !

                      Comment


                      • #12
                        Nope

                        All we have is the officer board that makes dissions and then Takes it to the Town Board <.< >.> who has no clue what to do with a fire department.

                        Comment


                        • #13
                          Fire District Board here. 5 members. They basically oversee the finances of the department and approve purchases over $5,000. Appoint Fire Chief. Approve appointment of Deputy and Asst. Chief. Approve appointment of full-time personnel (we have a career Asst. Chief and 3 career firefighters). Other than that they have no say in officer selection.

                          They basically stay out of the fire side. All decisions tregarding operations are made by the chief. Drivers approved through the training officer. They know that they do not know about the fire business, but they are all businessmen and understand how to handle money.
                          Train to fight the fires you fight.

                          Comment


                          • #14
                            Originally posted by LaFireEducator View Post
                            Fire District Board here. 5 members. They basically oversee the finances of the department and approve purchases over $5,000. Appoint Fire Chief. Approve appointment of Deputy and Asst. Chief. Approve appointment of full-time personnel (we have a career Asst. Chief and 3 career firefighters). Other than that they have no say in officer selection.

                            They basically stay out of the fire side. All decisions tregarding operations are made by the chief. Drivers approved through the training officer. They know that they do not know about the fire business, but they are all businessmen and understand how to handle money.
                            The board of fire commissoiners here in N.J. oversee the finances, approve purchases , appoint career firefighters. The volly firefighters pick there own chief, asst chief, capt. etc. To become a commissioner you must live in the fire district and be elected by the voters !..

                            Comment


                            • #15
                              Voting

                              Did anyone go out to vote on Feb 17,2007 for the fire district elections in N.J. Most years there is a very low turnout of voters, unless they have to approve or disapprove the purchase of a 0ne millon dollar fire apparatus and there property taxes go up !....

                              Comment

                              300x600 Ad Unit (In-View)

                              Collapse

                              Upper 300x250

                              Collapse

                              Taboola

                              Collapse

                              Leader

                              Collapse
                              Working...
                              X