X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • KC8OIG
    Forum Member
    • May 2005

Ohio Volunteer trainging

Hello I need help with finding out how many hours of training Ohio Volunteers need for Training. I know the Basic is 36 hours but how much follow-up training do we need each year? I can not find it anywhere. The Chief keeps saying we need more trainging. we train 2.5 hours each month. I think the training is fine as long as it it good. I am just trying to find out what we really need. Thanks Tim
  • kadempc
    Forum Member
    • Mar 2005

In the past there has not been a state mandate that requires how much training you do. To my knowledge it has always been left up to each dept. I believe Ohio just recently past a new law (401??), that will have a minimum number of CE's that need to be met. Not sure if these will be needed in certain disciplines or if it's just certain number of hours. Regardless, it's a step in the right direction. My depts have training weekly. What ever training you can get is better than nothing. In my opinion, a good goal is try and get 8-10 hours of training per month. This would give you 100-120 hrs/yr. Having said that, don't forget about classes that you could take at the academy.

No matter how much training you get thru your dept you can always self teach yourself. Pick up a magazine, a book, or sit and watch a video. The other big thing that many forget about- the thing you are mashing on now- the internet. There are so many different ways to develop yourself, it just takes the effort.
    The only person who does not screw up, is the person who does not do anything.

Comment

• firenresq77
      Forum Member
      • Oct 2000

I believe the new law in OH will require very few training hours (compared to what it should be). For some reason I'm thinking it was around 20 hours. The way I understand it is the fire chief just basically has to sign off that you attended the required amount of training. I don't believe there will be "CE's" required per se, unlike the EMT.
      The comments made by me are my opinions only. They DO NOT reflect the opinions of my employer(s). If you have an issue with something I may say, take it up with me, either by posting in the forums, emailing me through my profile, or PMing me through my profile.
      We are all adults so there is no need to act like a child........
      IACOJ

Comment

• dday05
        MembersZone Subscriber
        • Aug 2005

Originally posted by KC8OIG
        Hello I need help with finding out how many hours of training Ohio Volunteers need for Training. I know the Basic is 36 hours but how much follow-up training do we need each year? I can not find it anywhere. The Chief keeps saying we need more trainging. we train 2.5 hours each month. I think the training is fine as long as it it good. I am just trying to find out what we really need. Thanks Tim
        I feel 2.5 hours a month is'nt enough training hours as well.Will your fellow firefighters be in favor of more hours a month? What kind of training does your dept do? The training should be and can be interesting as training should keep you up on your skills and what not. From knowing alot of people who want to join a fd, all they think it consists of is going down to the station once a week for 2-4 hours and have a big bs session.The days of the fd being a social club are or should be over. I'm not saying your fd is a social club by any means but ,training should be a #1 priority for any fd, and I agree with your chief.

Comment

• KC8OIG
          Forum Member
          • May 2005

Hello I think training is great as long as it is good and is interesting to keep you thinking about what the training is. Many times the training is boring and you don't get anything out of it. I try and get something out of every training i go to, but it very hard sometimes. I think the 2.5 hours we get now is ok. Our Fd covers about 100 square miles and we have 42 volunteers. Sometimes in the day time we have trouble getting a full crew to man the 4 trucks we have. I am afraid that asking more out a Volunteer will even cut that down more. I aslo work for a company that has a Fire Bridge and i get 104 hours of trainging plus the 30 hours at teh Fd. Thats alot to ask a person to do just for Volunteering. My concern would be that the Fd's in the area would start to go the way of the EMS in the area and start to be paid. (some of the FD and EMS are not toghether) Away i think training is good as long as there is something there otherwise it is just a time waster. I had been of the department for 22 years and some of the younger memeber ask me what the training requirments where and i was just trying to find out. The chief has pulled some things in the past that the members have question and they have question with no answers. I know bill 401 passed but i can not find anything of training in it. Thansk for the help

Comment

• fire0099881
            MembersZone Subscriber
            • Feb 2006

not sure if this is much help or if it has changed, it states in this article 18 hrs. a yr. or 1 1/2 per month

Comment

• thomas15
              Forum Member
              • Feb 2005

I think the amount of training a fire company has depends on how professional and safe the fire company wants to be. Thant's my opinion but I dont know nothin about fighting actual fires or performing rescue operations so take my opinions with a grain of salt.
              FF/EMT

Comment

• dday05
                MembersZone Subscriber
                • Aug 2005

Hello I think training is great as long as it is good and is interesting to keep you thinking about what the training is. Many times the training is boring and you don't get anything out of it. I try and get something out of every training i go to, but it very hard sometimes. I think the 2.5 hours we get now is ok. Our Fd covers about 100 square miles and we have 42 volunteers. Sometimes in the day time we have trouble getting a full crew to man the 4 trucks we have. I am afraid that asking more out a Volunteer will even cut that down more.
                Well what kind of training do you do at your fd? Do you do much hands on or is it lecture most of the time?

Comment

• bfranse
                  Forum Member
                  • Oct 2005

Go back to your Chief and ask him if there is area he would like you to focus on first. Do not confuse what your FD needs vs. what the state may require. IMHO I would out your first efforts into what you need and then start working the state wants into your training scedule. Increasing the amount of training time per month is JOB 1.
                  We're not spliting rocket hairs here people!

Training is like building a pyramid, if you want it to last, you don't built it pointy side down!

Comment

• kadempc
                    Forum Member
                    • Mar 2005

I think the 2.5 hours we get now is ok. Our Fd covers about 100 square miles and we have 42 volunteers. Sometimes in the day time we have trouble getting a full crew to man the 4 trucks we have. I am afraid that asking more out a Volunteer will even cut that down more.

This could get off into a totally different subject, but Volunteer, POC, Full Time, whatever your status is the following applies: The fire service is a profession. Which means if you are a firefighter, you are a professional.
                    Which means the public perception is highly trained individuals that are able to help you in a time of need. If people are not willing to make the commitment, they don't need to be there. I am not saying get in there and train 8-10 hours a week, never home with family, etc. , but at least put in an effort. Don't be the " T-Shirt FF" (carries the pager, has the lights, and wears the t-shirt and says "yea I'm a FF" ) I would rather have a roster of 15 dedicated people on my department, rather 60 people and only 15 show up for calls, trainings, etc.
                    The only person who does not screw up, is the person who does not do anything.

Comment

300x600 Ad Unit (In-View)

Collapse

Upper 300x250

Collapse

Taboola

Collapse

Leader

Collapse
                    Working...