No announcement yet.

MAN, this is SWEET!!!!!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Well, I sure didn't mean for this thread to be a 'FF T-shirt bashfest'.

We have guys on the department
    that wear 'those' t-shirts and
    they are standup guys and
    great firefighters.

Still, last night the pager went off at 1 in the morning. Pretty early. It was 10 degrees outside on top of that. It was a barn fire. It was totally involved when we got there. I got quite a bit of experience running the hose and holding it for other guys. I already love doing this. I still have alot to learn but, I'm learning quickly.
    sigpic

Comment

I've been giving some additional thought to details regarding the T Shirt Firefighter in its natural habitat, and some variations on its markings and accessories.

Juvenile T Shirt Firefighters may attempt to mimic older, experienced Real Firefighters in ways similar to certain insects that have evolved markings to resemble something different and generally more dangerous in order to ward off enemies. One such method is to repeatedly wash and wear their shirts so that they look well worn. This leaves the impression that their coat has naturally faded due to exposure to The Job. This actually is quite easy to accomplish, since they wear the T Shirt almost every day anyway. It is easiest to distinguish the T Shirt Firefighter from the Real Firefighter by comparing the relative age of the wearer with the apparent age of the T Shirt. When the T Shirt appears older, you have found an imposter. Real Firefighters use old shirts for painting, working out or sleeping, but never on duty or in public.

Mature T Shirt Firefighters which desire something more to display to other potential alpha males than their shirt alone have adapted accessories to this purpose. The preferred accessory is a portable radio, expecially when a simple pager would otherwise be adequate. Newer modern compact designs are beginning to gain popularity but there is still no substitute for the unmistakable bulk of the Motorola HT600. Additional radio size can be gained by wearing this radio using a leather wraparound holster hanging off of a belt, and additional flair can be added by labeling the radio or holster with "METRO FIRE UNIT 565" etc, using reflective or high contrast materials in the largest size possible. This is as close as a pedestrian can come to resembling a BRT.

Juvenile T Shirt Firefighters can compensate for their lack of radio by obtaining a hand-held scanner from Radio Shack and affixing similar labels to disguise their decoy scanner as a real radio. In all cases, the radio accessory can be enhanced by insisting on wearing two or three pagers and a cell phone alongside it. Seasoned accessorized T Shirt firefighters usually are unable to wear their pants level due to the resultant drag on one side, and the many accessories may even cause a slight limp over time that can conveniently be implied as an old firefighting injury.

T Shirt Firefighters not satisfied with the radio accessory alone have adopted some behaviors exhibited by T Shirt Medics, namely equipping themselves with pocket CPR masks which are replaced as soon as the printed "CPR MASK" wears off the carrying case. The second most favored borrowed accessory is the glove pack, rendered most effective if the ends of two gloves are visibly hanging out of the pack. Other variants on this behavior include shears, seatbelt cutters, first aid tape, penlights, etc. One cannot help but wonder when the T Shirt Medics will evolve to carry a small six-minute O2 canister strapped to their leg, an ability which will no doubt soon cross over to the most advanced T Shirt Firefighters.

Late Edit/Addition: The mating call of T Shirt Firefighters - which they may continue to broadcast despite its dubious effectiveness - is the sound of a pager or radio dispatching a job at the loudest possible volume in any part of their natural environment, which includes worship services, weddings, funerals, movie theaters, formal dining establishments, etc. A determined T Shirt Firefighter also uses the mating call of competing T Shirt Firefighters as well as Real Firefighters by emitting the mating call of every agency within a 50 mile radious as if it were its own, and showing grave concern over "white smoke seen coming from a chimney" for an agency three districts away. When actual mating possibilities seem dubious despite the mating call, the T Shirt Firefighter may attempt grab at dignity by hurrying away as if off on an important mission regardless of whose mating call it actually used.
      -------------------

clipse, keep up the good work, man. Sounds like you're doing fine. My poking fun is in no way directed at you. In fact, you are getting great training in what NOT to do.
      Last edited by ElectricHoser; 02-05-2007, 07:14 PM.
      You only have to be stupid once to be dead permanently
      IACOJ Power Company Liason
      When trouble arises and things look bad, there is always one individual who perceives a solution
      and is willing to take command. Very often, that individual is crazy. - Dave Barry.

Comment

Better

Electric--you have it entirely wrong---"T" shirts? Nah--full fire fighting kit at all times!!

No confusion that way. Mention "Towering Inferno" "Backdraft" "Ladder 49"
        if a bit older chuck in "IRA Bombings-London" or even older "The Blitz" goes down even better.

Comment

LOL yeah. The Uber T Shirt Firefighter carries that big red bag everywhere, just in case.
          When trouble arises and things look bad, there is always one individual who perceives a solution
          and is willing to take command. Very often, that individual is crazy. - Dave Barry.

Comment

American thing?

Originally posted by ElectricHoser View Post
            LOL yeah. The Uber T Shirt Firefighter carries that big red bag everywhere, just in case.
            Pardon my ignorance"Big red bag"? What is that?

Comment

Originally posted by 2andfrom View Post
              Pardon my ignorance"Big red bag"? What is that?
              In much of North America, firefighters often transport their turnout gear in large red duffel bags designed for the purpose. I am not sure how widespread that particular practice is. I guess I left out in your example they should be dragging ladders, hose, axes, etc as well.

Comment

The BIG RED BAG is also useful when picking up hitchhikers, in which case it must be displayed on the passenger seat, thus requiring removal before occupancy of the shotgun seat. This is a mainstay of most volly services, as not all are allowed to keep gear at the station or they are required to respond to the scene.

Comment

Nearly the same language

Thank you Electric and FireDawg--for some reason I thought the Big Red Bag was associated with a medical aspect, theorizing your emergency services do medical emergencies along with firefighting.

The nearest thing to the BRB in the London Fire Brigade was a black kit bag issued to all firemen(modeled on the British Armed Forces issue)--this usually lived in the depths of your locker and was dragged out when you went on "Standby" somewhere--like all issue equipment this item just barely contained your firegear(which normally lived on a peg or on the big red lorry) and if you were doing a nightshift no way could you get bedding stuffed in it too!
                  If you were traveling by bus or train/underground it could take several hours to get to your designated fire station--all the while the poor sod you are relieving is on overtime--and depending if he is on a hot date or going home to a nagging wife--was indicated by a few choice expletives Anglo Saxon style or a big grin!

Comment

here's a twist...

I've been with our dept for 6 years now and make plenty of the runs.
                    I am also the Public Educator and Secretary. In addition to that I am on the Provincial educational planning committee for Public Education.

I have a t-shirt that reads:

Firefighting: Invented by Men
                    Perfected by WOMEN

I saw it on the net and ordered it. YES... I ordered it for myself!

The groans coming out of the guys at the hall the night I first wore it was worth every penny.
                    IACOJ
                    If you are willing to teach;
                    I am willing to learn.

Comment

Originally posted by Haweater View Post
                      Do they find it sweet? - No.
                      Do we find it sweet? - usually. . . And if you've experienced a fire and can't appreciate that firefighters think this job is sweet, you're on the wrong forum.
                      Cheers
                      Gord
                      AMEN!!! WELL SAID!!
                      Mark Zanghetti
                      FF-EMT
                      Goshen Fire Dept.
                      Waterford, CT

Comment

So,if I wear my "Mythbusters" t-shirt that says"I do all my own stunts"to a call and end up dangling from a window ledge does that make me a whacker?

Comment

In response to clipses' signature - COME AND GET THEM.
                          JLS
                          MFC
                          51 Pride - R.I.P. Sandy
                          Alarm 200644004, I won't ever forget.

Remember you only have 1*.

IACOJ

Comment

Originally posted by doughesson View Post
                            So,if I wear my "Mythbusters" t-shirt that says"I do all my own stunts"to a call and end up dangling from a window ledge does that make me a whacker?
                            LOL no, because it is not a firefighting shirt.

Besides, I think in the Man Rules it is stated that the MythBusters are worthy (many of us wish we had their job on the side, right?), so full exemptions for wearing MythBusters paraphernalia ought to be allowed.

Comment

Keep learning

Clipse keep staying involved and learn as much as you can. Being a firefighter is a very satisfying oppurtunity. I have been in my department for 15 yrs. It has been alot of fun. You'll definintely want to weed through the T-shirt firefighters. You guys are hilarious. Check out Bladensburgh, MD website. There is a section called Proffessionalism. Read it. I htink you'll like it. I had it put on signs and they hang in the apparatus bay for the guys to read. Be safe and have fun!!

Comment

Originally posted by FiftyOnePride View Post
                                In response to clipses' signature - COME AND GET THEM.
                                Darn right. Have you seen the previews to '300'? That movie is about the battle that my signature came from. Awesome story.

Originally posted by brian441 View Post
                                Clipse keep staying involved and learn as much as you can. Being a firefighter is a very satisfying oppurtunity. I have been in my department for 15 yrs. It has been alot of fun. You'll definintely want to weed through the T-shirt firefighters. You guys are hilarious. Check out Bladensburgh, MD website. There is a section called Proffessionalism. Read it. I htink you'll like it. I had it put on signs and they hang in the apparatus bay for the guys to read. Be safe and have fun!!
                                Thanks I'll have to check thier site out.
                                sigpic

Comment

300x600 Ad Unit (In-View)

Collapse

Upper 300x250

Collapse

Taboola

Collapse

Leader

Collapse
                                Working...
                                X