Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• osfd100
    replied
    If you are not in a critical position at work, sit down and talk with your boss.

Use a little common sense. Tell him, No ask him if it would be all right to respond to confirmed working structure fires, serious extrications or 2nd alarms. Tell him that you won't run out for Dumpster Fires and Garbage calls. Strike up a conversation with him and see where it goes. Act like a professional and see what happens.

If he agrees, Thank him AND DON"T TAKE ADVANTAGE OF IT, get back to work as soon as possible.

If he starts to let you leave, after a couple of calls have the Chief and Mayor send him a letter of thanks. The thanks and recognition he or she gets may hook you up for a long time.

Leave a comment:

• BrianB35
    replied
    utfd701, can you show me documentation on the protections in Michigan?

I've never had a problem being late to work with a call. I have my wife call my boss and let him know. That's the respect he deserves. He always said "no problem, be safe."

As for leaving work I would never do it. First, I work over 15 miles away from my response area. Even IF my pager picked up the signal, which it hasn't because of the distance, I wouldn't go because it would take me a 1/2 hour to show up with traffic. We can't run code untill 3 miles outside of area.
    Second, that's what mutal aids are for. We've gone on more for other departments than vice versa. Some things are automatic MA no mater what time of day.

My advice, stay at work.

Originally posted by utfd701
    Here in MI there is some protection from being late or missing a day. In order to have this protection leaving your job in the middle of the day to answer a call, you must be specifically requested or an 'all call' must be sent out.
    Reality is, if this becomes an occasional thing your employer will find a way to resolve the issue. This usually takes the form of hiring your replacement.
    Best bet - talk with your employer, come to a mutually agreeable resolution.
    Safest bet - turn off your pager

Leave a comment:

• WaterbryVTfire
    replied
    Originally posted by ChiefReason
    1933. Guys riding in the open cab were spitting tobacco and hitting the guys riding the tailboard.
    CR
    I thought it was because the Truck companies were using the Engine guys as speed bumps when they fell off?

Leave a comment:

• nadeau526
    replied
    My department outlawed riding on the beavertail in the late 70's.

Leave a comment:

• ChiefReason
    replied
    Originally posted by BDVFD784
    When did they outlaw riding the tailboard?
    1933. Guys riding in the open cab were spitting tobacco and hitting the guys riding the tailboard.
    CR

Leave a comment:

• STONEREMS
    replied
    Originally posted by AC1503
    We used to call the Tailboard the "Beavertail".
    Dont say that to a trucker....you might get an offer.

Leave a comment:

• BDVFD784
    replied
    When did they outlaw riding the tailboard?

Leave a comment:

• AC1503
    replied
    We used to call the Tailboard the "Beavertail".

Leave a comment:

• WMFF12
    replied
    Ahh.... I smell what your steppin in there CR.... My employer will pay me out of some special account should I get a call, that's if it should come in before work, and even then there's a limit to it... They are a pretty community oriented company, and I guess they write it off at the end of the year. When I am at work, there's no point in me going, my job covers 8 counties. So I am a ways out....

Umm..... tailboard? Missed out on that.... I guess I am kind of a pup....

Leave a comment:

• ChiefReason
    replied
    Originally posted by WMFF12
    Here's a different take.... Which one really pays the bills? Don' get me wrong fellas, I love doing what I do. But honestly, we ALL have bills to pay and mouths to feed... How many guys here have a job that will pay them to go on calls? I would bet not too many....
    The people who volunteer and are self-employed actually LOSE money to go on calls. I dig these types very much.
    When I was growing up, the community that I grew up in had such a strong sense of civic duty that, if you worked in any of the businesses in town, you were expected to join the fire department and leave work if there was a call.
    Ah, the good old days!
    Riding the tailboard...
    CR

Leave a comment:

• WMFF12
    replied
    Here's a different take.... Which one really pays the bills? Don' get me wrong fellas, I love doing what I do. But honestly, we ALL have bills to pay and mouths to feed... How many guys here have a job that will pay them to go on calls? I would bet not too many....

Leave a comment:

• fireman8611
    replied
    Here in Indiana the same thing goes, they can't fire you for being late or missing a day while on an emergency call but once at work you stay. Last year they passed a law that you have to get a paper signed by your employer stating you were not an essential employee. If they feel you are an essential employee they don't have to sign. There is a town of about 20,000 people in southwestern Indiana that has several factories and shops that WANT their firefighters to respond to emergencies. They are all volunteer with a paid Chief(this year is the first year the chief was paid).The town realizes their taxes would be higher if they went career. Letting them go during work keeps the taxes low and doesn't hurt the response time. Maybe your employer would understand why they should let you go.
    fm8611

Leave a comment:

• ChiefReason
    replied
    These are the parts that I was saying in jest and with some sarcasm.
    Originally posted by ChiefReason
    Tell your bosses if they won't support your community efforts, you won't support their's.
    Better yet; tell them if you can't use company time to go on calls, they can't play golf on company time.
    Still, a better idea would be to either turn off your pager, do your job, go on calls on YOUR time or find a company who is willing to let you do that.
    CR
    I could leave work to attend calls. I was on SALARY.
    Good luck.
    That was the part I was serious about.

Look; it's simple here in Illinois.

We have a law that states that an employer cannot terminate you for calling off work due to an incident or for showing up late for work due to an incident. Of course, documentation may be required.

However; once you GET to work, they got you. If you leave, the company can do whatever is their policy.

I know it sucks, but not everybody has our lofty community spirit.
    CR
    Last edited by ChiefReason; 12-12-2006, 03:26 PM.

Leave a comment:

• randsc
    replied
    What federal law is that?

Originally posted by BC79er
    Even if the state doesn't have one the feds do. Employers don't have to pay for time not at the job, but it's an option to use sick or vacation time to cover it also instead of taking a pay cut for that time. The HR departments at both of the employers I have worked for in TX confirmed I'm covered either way. Had a crabby manager (not mine) that tried to bust stones on a few people for various reasons, other volunteers included. Funny how he's gone and we're all still here.
    I am not aware of any such federal statute. Could you provide a cite?
    Thanks.

Leave a comment:

• BC79er
    replied
    Even if the state doesn't have one the feds do. Employers don't have to pay for time not at the job, but it's an option to use sick or vacation time to cover it also instead of taking a pay cut for that time. The HR departments at both of the employers I have worked for in TX confirmed I'm covered either way. Had a crabby manager (not mine) that tried to bust stones on a few people for various reasons, other volunteers included. Funny how he's gone and we're all still here.

Leave a comment:

300x600 Ad Unit (In-View)

Collapse

Upper 300x250

Collapse

Taboola

Collapse

Leader

Collapse
Working...
X