can they do it??

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• can they do it??

I am a volunteer firefighter and I am having problems with my "other" job, they tell me that if I answer the page I will be fired for job abondonment, can they do this?? I live in Texas. Any thoughts or knowledge on this would be helpful , you can Email me at [email protected]

Yes they can. Just do your job when you are supposed to be at work and in your time off from work run VFD calls.
    Steve
    EMT/Security Officer

Comment

YES, YES, YES!!!

The best thing that you can do is turn your pager off when you are at work. Some jobs do let volunteers leave, but it is up to the employer.

I live in Texas also, and there are no "right to volunteer" laws that I know of

Take care and stay safe!!!
      Just someone trying to help! (And by the way....Thanks for YOUR help!)

Aggressive does not have to equal stupid.

** "The comments made here are this person's views and possibly that of the organizations to which I am affiliated" **

Comment

Tell your bosses if they won't support your community efforts, you won't support their's.
        Better yet; tell them if you can't use company time to go on calls, they can't play golf on company time.
        Still, a better idea would be to either turn off your pager, do your job, go on calls on YOUR time or find a company who is willing to let you do that.
        I could leave work to attend calls. I was on SALARY.
        Good luck.
        CR
        Visit www.iacoj.com
        Remember Bradley Golden (9/25/01)
        RIP HOF Robert J. Compton(ENG6511)

Comment

Check with your legislation because here is CT there is a bill that passed that states that you can not be fired for responding to a call that either causes you to be late and also if a serious incident is to occur they need to let us leave and respond to the call.

Comment

Of course they can...

...why the hell shouldn't they be able to?

There are a dozen or so states that protect volunteer firefighters from termination if the miss a day or or late as a result of being at a emergency call, but I am not aware of any state law that requires employers to allow employees to respond FROM work.

Comment

CF, harsh words from a practical guy.

I guess if the volunteer doesn't like his paying job and or could live without it you advice would work well.

Originally posted by ChiefReason
              Tell your bosses if they won't support your community efforts, you won't support their's.
              Better yet; tell them if you can't use company time to go on calls, they can't play golf on company time.
              Still, a better idea would be to either turn off your pager, do your job, go on calls on YOUR time or find a company who is willing to let you do that.
              Good luck.
              CR
              FF/EMT

Comment

Here in MI there is some protection from being late or missing a day. In order to have this protection leaving your job in the middle of the day to answer a call, you must be specifically requested or an 'all call' must be sent out.
                Reality is, if this becomes an occasional thing your employer will find a way to resolve the issue. This usually takes the form of hiring your replacement.
                Best bet - talk with your employer, come to a mutually agreeable resolution.
                Safest bet - turn off your pager

Comment

Originally posted by nadeau526
                  Check with your legislation because here is CT there is a bill that passed that states that you can not be fired for responding to a call that either causes you to be late and also if a serious incident is to occur they need to let us leave and respond to the call.
                  I'm sure the employer could just find another reason/way to get rid of some one.

Comment

Yeppers they can...I know my old employer would allow me to leave for structure fires only and when I did I had to punch out for the time I was gone
                    If someone with multiple personalities threatens to kill himself, is it considered a hostage situation?

Ryan

Comment

As others said they can't fire you for being late because of being at a fire call, but they don't have to pay you for not being there. Nor do they have to let you leave. When I was in college (PA) I worked in the district but I didn't leave for call unless it was a confirmed fire already, and work was covered. When I was the one closing the store, obviously I couldn't go.

If you want to hammer out an agreement that they'll let you leave only if it's a confirmed fire, then that's one thing. But I wouldn't expect payment unless you make up the time. Depends on the job. If you don't work in your district, I wouldn't even be carrying the pager. Finding another job depends on how well you can pay the bills in the meantime. And I doubt in this economy you'll find many employers willing to let you leave once you're at work.
                      Brian P. Vickers
                      www.vickersconsultingservices.com
                      Emergency Services Consulting
                      Westlake VFD - Houston, TX
                      Proud Member IACOJ - Redneck Division

Comment

Just to be clear...

Originally posted by BC79er
                        As others said they can't fire you for being late because of being at a fire call, but they don't have to pay you for not being there. Nor do they have to let you leave. .
                        ...even this is not a sure thing. It depends on the law in the state. I took a quick look and was not able to find a statute in Texas that gives even this level of protection.

Comment

Even if the state doesn't have one the feds do. Employers don't have to pay for time not at the job, but it's an option to use sick or vacation time to cover it also instead of taking a pay cut for that time. The HR departments at both of the employers I have worked for in TX confirmed I'm covered either way. Had a crabby manager (not mine) that tried to bust stones on a few people for various reasons, other volunteers included. Funny how he's gone and we're all still here.
                          Brian P. Vickers
                          www.vickersconsultingservices.com
                          Emergency Services Consulting
                          Westlake VFD - Houston, TX
                          Proud Member IACOJ - Redneck Division

Comment

What federal law is that?

Originally posted by BC79er
                            Even if the state doesn't have one the feds do. Employers don't have to pay for time not at the job, but it's an option to use sick or vacation time to cover it also instead of taking a pay cut for that time. The HR departments at both of the employers I have worked for in TX confirmed I'm covered either way. Had a crabby manager (not mine) that tried to bust stones on a few people for various reasons, other volunteers included. Funny how he's gone and we're all still here.
                            I am not aware of any such federal statute. Could you provide a cite?
                            Thanks.

Comment

These are the parts that I was saying in jest and with some sarcasm.
                              Originally posted by ChiefReason
                              CR
                              Good luck.
                              That was the part I was serious about.

Look; it's simple here in Illinois.

We have a law that states that an employer cannot terminate you for calling off work due to an incident or for showing up late for work due to an incident. Of course, documentation may be required.

However; once you GET to work, they got you. If you leave, the company can do whatever is their policy.

I know it sucks, but not everybody has our lofty community spirit.
                              CR
                              Last edited by ChiefReason; 12-12-2006, 04:26 PM.
                              Visit www.iacoj.com
                              Remember Bradley Golden (9/25/01)
                              RIP HOF Robert J. Compton(ENG6511)

Comment

300x600 Ad Unit (In-View)

Collapse

Upper 300x250

Collapse

Taboola

Collapse

Leader

Collapse