Why do you Volunteer

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Why do you Volunteer

I am attending college to obtain a degree in Physiology. I need to do a research paper and plan to do it on why people volunteer to be firefighter and/or EMTs. And compare them to the studies of why people fail to act in an emergency.

1. Age ?
    2. Length in the service?
    3. Why I volunteer?
    4. What need(s) I think it fills in me?

Thank you for the help. This paper s due in 5 weeks I take accelerated course work.
    Just past the questions in your reply.
    personal experance
    13.24%
    close family member experance
    11.76%
    other family member expernce
    1.47%
    TV or other media influance
    7.35%
    never need the services of EMS system
    11.76%
    witnessed emergency where no one could give aid
    2.94%
    other
    51.47%

The poll is expired.

1. Age ... 56 (on most days )

2. Length of service ... 37 years

3. Why I volunteer ... family tradition.

4. What need I think it fills in me ... for my life to be more then the average schmuck on the street.
    Last edited by Driver76; 12-03-2006, 05:34 PM.

Comment

1. Age ? 48

2. Length in the service? as a volunteer 28 years

3. Why I volunteer? Following in my father's footsteps. I love the fire service and it is my way of helping my friends and neighbors.

4. What need(s) I think it fills in me? A step outside of the sit on the sidelines and complain type of citizenship that is common in today's society. It is my way to make a difference in my little village.

FyredUp
      Crazy, but that's how it goes
      Millions of people living as foes
      Maybe it's not too late
      To learn how to love, and forget how to hate

Comment

1. age: 25
        2.years of service: 2
        3.why: the drive to help others
        4.need: know that i might make my community just a little bit better

Comment

thank you for help.

Comment

19+
            Would have loved to have done this Ft .......just didnt get around to it for a couple of reasons.

Cant do it all the time so I have strived to be the best I can be for my community.
            IACOJ both divisions and PROUD OF IT !
            Pardon me sir.. .....but I believe we are all over here !
            ATTENTION ALL SHOPPERS: Will the dead horse please report to the forums.(thanks Motown)
            RAY WAS HERE 08/28/05
            LETHA' FOREVA' ! 010607
            I'm sorry, I haven't been paying much attention for the last 3 hours.....what were we discussing?
            "but I guarentee you I will FF your arse off" from>
            http://www.firehouse.com/forums/show...60#post1137060post 115

Comment

Thankyou all again for the help

Comment

Jim Hawryliw, Fire Chief
                Fairfield Hose Co.
                www.fairfieldfiredept.8m.com

1. Age - 26

2. Length in the service - 13 years (stared as a junior firefighter)

3. Why I volunteer - That is a good question..... hmmm maybe it is the endless lack of sleep, or the problem of finishing a great meal that your spouse has been slaving over the stove for hours, or maybe it is standing outside for hours after hours at a ems / fire / rescue call and knowing that you will not be getting a pay check anytime soon, or maybe it is the warm feeling you feel inside when you do a good job and somebody gives you a "Thank You". For me it is family tradtion. My great grandfather, my grandfather, my father, my mother, my brother, my sister, my aunts and uncles, and just about everybody else i know have volunteered. Its kinda in my blood!!!

4. What need(s) I think it fills in me - The need to help people no matter what the problem is. Meaning on holidays, summertime, or whatever they hand to us.

Comment

Age-now 41

Length of service 2 1/2 years-I had to leave my department for family reasons but intend on returning next year,maybe January or February.

Why?-At the time,I thought it was paid on call and figured it would be a stop gap until I found full time work.When I handed the application in,I was told about the only money being a gas stipend but figured I was in too far already to back out,not that I do anyway.
                  As I learned more about the how and why we do the things on a fireground,I found that I do enjoy knowing more than what is reported on the news,even if I cannot discuss it outside of the station.I like having people to count on and knowing that they count on me as well,which is a big motivator.

What needs are fulfilled:having something to do besides sit around,learning new things,being part of something that adds to my community.I don't think it's hokey,corny or out of date to want to help people.It's one way of doing so in a much needed way.

Comment

1. Age 22

2. Length in the service? Year and a half

3. Why I volunteer? Helping others, being a part of a team, and eventually going for that paid status

4. What need(s) I think it fills in me? That need to fight fire..

Comment

1. Age ? 23

2. Length in the service? EMS - 6 Fire - 5

3. Why I volunteer? Well, at the time, I wanted something to do between school and bedtime so I didn't have to be at home. But I loved it and continue to do it today.

4. What need(s) I think it fills in me? Though it is not always the case, the satisfaction I get in helping others. There is no better feeling than the one you get when you get a thank you card or letter.
                      Lieutenant/EMT-B

VSFFA Member

"I'm a CCEMT-B."

"Remember, if the world didn't suck, we'd all fall off."

"A lack of effort will always lead to failure."

Comment

1. Age ? 23

2. Length in the service? EMS 3 Fire - 5

3. Why I volunteer? Why do I sleep, eat and breathe? It feels like this is something I've always done. I don't have a specific reason why. I just do what I do and I love what I do. It's a part of my life.

4. What need(s) I think it fills in me? I volunteer selflessley (sp?) Although I do have a sense of pride and passion for what I do. I don't feel that my service fills any needs I have. I'm always helping others when I have an opportunity to.

NJ
                        "You see things and you ask, 'Why'? I dream of things that never were and I say, 'Why not'?

"I used to work in a fire hydrant factory. You couldn't park anywhere near the place."

"When you are kind to someone in trouble, you hope they'll remember and be kind to someone else. And it'll become like a wildfire."

Comment

thank you for thoses who respond

This is really helping. If you know anyone else let them know also answer the poll. It is a question that I forgot to add to the orginal post.

Comment

Age - 45
                            Length of Service - Firefighter - 29 years (started as a Jr. FF at age 16, officially); Haz Mat Tech - 4 years
                            Why? - Third generation Vollie. Father, Maternal Grandfather and several uncles and cousins were FF's. Until I got to the central high school, I thought any one that wasn't a FF was weird.
                            What need I think it fulfills - Protecting the community I live in from some very bad things in a constantly changing field, so I have to try to keep up to date with my training.
                            "Your spill is our thrill."

Comment

Originally posted by justme0203
                              I am attending college to obtain a degree in Physiology. I need to do a research paper and plan to do it on why people volunteer to be firefighter and/or EMTs. And compare them to the studies of why people fail to act in an emergency.

1. Age ?
                              2. Length in the service?
                              3. Why I volunteer?
                              4. What need(s) I think it fills in me?

Thank you for the help. This paper s due in 5 weeks I take accelerated course work.
                              Just past the questions in your reply.
                              1. 22
                              2. 4 years certified Firefighter/ 6 years explorer status
                              3. Being called upon in people's time of need, when time is of the essence. Facing the beast eye to eye and defeating it. The look on someones face when you hand them their prized possesions recently saved from the fire. Not to mention the Brotherhood. NOTHING COMPARES.
                              4. Not sure what needs it fills in me. I don't think I could do anything else. All my skills/abilities (no matter how few there may be) are in Firefighting/ems. Carrying on the family tradition is important too me as well. (3rd generation)

Comment

300x600 Ad Unit (In-View)

Collapse

Upper 300x250

Collapse

Taboola

Collapse

Leader

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X