No announcement yet.

Any un-paid volunteers here?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Who cares if you get paid or not, hell, the people who get paid are probably smarter by getting a pay check for the exact same thing that those who volunteer do..... I am a volunteer, I live at a firehouse, and no, I don't get paid.

Comment

Here in Monkey County (aka Montgomery Co., MD) the volunteers just signed an agreement which, among other things, will provide a $300 annual stipend for active volunteers. I'm not really crazy about that, because I don't do this for money - I have a career for that. I don't think I'm superior for not getting paid or any such nonsense. It's just that I didn't get into this for the $4 meal reimbursement for 4 hours of standby, or the state tax deduction I started getting after 3 years, or the LOSAP "retirement" benefit I'll get if I keep this up another 20 years, and I certainly didn't get into this for a $300 attaboy yearly.

So, does that stuff make me a paid firefighter? I say no - I don't get paid per call, I pull a regular standby, and the time I spend (~100 hours/month) on standbys, training, and ancillary activities is worth a lot more than the financial benefits noted above. And I would keep right on doing it if said benefits disappeared.

Does not refusing those things make me a hypocrite? I hope not! Maybe if I was bragging about how pure of heart I was for volunteering, or some other such idiocy. But I certainly don't think that way, and have no tolerance for those who do.

Comment

vols and pay

Bit of a hot topic downunder with alot of misinformation by the United fire fighters union who are pushing their own wheel barrow as usual.

Recently had big forest fires in Victoria and New South Wales requiring several weeks work to control.
        Victoria has MFB - Melbourne fire Bigade - which is Melbourne city and fully permanent and CFA which has permanent core of officers, paid day firefighters in busy stations and 30,000 or so unpaid vols.
        NSW is a little different having a state based NSW fire brigades consisting of
        permanent officers and firefighters and "retained" part time fire fighters. They also have another service called the Rural Fire Service consisting of a small number of paid senior officers and 50,000 unpaid volunteers. I have served as a vol in the NSW RFS and the CFA so I have seen it in both states.
        Most of the work at these big fires in both states has been done by the Vols.

The Union is unhappy in Victoria that Remote Area Ffirefighting Teams and ICS personnel were brought in from overseas and paid for their effort whilst their members were not used. They have suggested that a system of retained fire fighters should be introduced in Victoria like NSW. However this advice is wrong as retained firefighters were not used in any numbers at any of the big fires in NSW recently. I would be nice if the union researched the subject properly before issuing misleading advice. UFU members generally do not have experience in large bushfire IMT or RAFT.
        Disclaimer
        These views are my own and not of either my brigade or any other organisation.

Comment

one third volunteer

Anyone qualified to and does fight fire is a volunteer.(kinda like volunteering to get married,it is gonna cost you). The rest is semantics. Our Department is a "Combo". A Chief and three paid men. The rest of us are "Volunteers". Our District happens to pay per call,tax credit,occasional meals,Christmas party, a t-shirt or two,all the training we can stand, the adoration of our fellow townfolk,(well,maybe a couple). I didn't know any of this when I raised my hand to volunteer. That is the district I happen to live in. Next door the district is 100% volunteer. Completely unpaid.So if I join up with them along with the two districts I cover now,(we now contract cover a neighboring district-add three more paid guys),does that make me one third of a volunteer in the purest sense?

Comment

We get paid $11/hour for calls and $11 for trainings.....didn't know that when I joined though, thought that volunteer meant volunteer...oh well, I'm not complaining

Comment

300x600 Ad Unit (In-View)

Collapse

Upper 300x250

Collapse

Taboola

Collapse

Leader

Collapse
            Working...
            X