Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Your "real job" resume

Hi everyone!

I have a question that is specific to volunteers.
    Do you think listing your Volunteer Fire Company affiliation is a good idea for your "civilian" resume?

I work in IT and am contemplating a new gig, my first job switch since joining the fire service (yeah I am still a probie, but pretty active in my company).

While most people would consider volunteer firefighting to be a noble undertaking, I am also aware that a prospective employer might consider it something that distracts from what they are looking for. Or worse, the image of the stereotypical gung ho yahoo might come to mind...

I tried searching the threads for a similar question and didn't see one. Thanks in advance for your input!
    Dan

I think it looks good on a resume. Shows you are interestetd in th ecommunity and you plan on staying around awhile.
    J.J. Bichard, Chief
    Devola Vol. Fire Co.
    Marietta, Ohio

"A few, serving many"

Comment

Definitely, and I would also use my chief and or officers as a reference. Your fellow firefighters know the true side of you better than any other employer's you could work for, in my opinion.

I give my all to my dept though, so I would feel very compfortable in doing so.

Comment

I always have, proud of it.
        Josh Ball
        FF/EMT - Zoneton Fire Protection District
        PSO II - Louisville International Airport
        Deputy - Bullitt County Sheriff's Office

Comment

Especially if you have administrative responsibilites with the FD can be related the real world job you are pursueing. It also shows the emplyer that have have a sense of dedication to what you do, volunteer or paid.
          Train to fight the fires you fight.

Comment

Since I am a Human Resources type person and I review resumes all the time my answer is:

YES, YES, YES!

Comment

I've never avoided adding my time as a volunteer to my applications.In some cases,it can mean another skill set that has application to what you are applying for,especially if you are licensed as an EMT at any level.
              More often than not,I'd be asked to tell war stories,which I minimized on grounds that "We can't really tell more than what's on the news.".

Comment

You should always list your membership in the fire department. It shows that you are committed to helping others, you work well under pressure, and that you are giving back to the community. I really can't see how it would hurt you. I have been in a few interviews over the past few weeks and it has helped me.

Comment

thanks for all the good advice!

Comment

Originally posted by danhawkeye
                    Hi everyone!

I have a question that is specific to volunteers.
                    Do you think listing your Volunteer Fire Company affiliation is a good idea for your "civilian" resume?

I work in IT and am contemplating a new gig, my first job switch since joining the fire service (yeah I am still a probie, but pretty active in my company).

While most people would consider volunteer firefighting to be a noble undertaking, I am also aware that a prospective employer might consider it something that distracts from what they are looking for. Or worse, the image of the stereotypical gung ho yahoo might come to mind...

I tried searching the threads for a similar question and didn't see one. Thanks in advance for your input!
                    Dan

You have something to hide?
                    Fortune does not change men; it unmasks them.

The grass ain't greener, the wine ain't sweeter!! Either side of the hill.

IACOJ PROUD

Comment

Depending on the job, being a FF and listing your certs could prove quite attractive to many employers. If you will be working in an environment that handles high combustables or chemicals, or the potential of big losses exists in the event that one day things start to unravil, your FD training becomes an automatic asset to the company.

Comment

If you have the opportunity, tell them

On the application for my current job, there was a place to list "volunteer or community service". I put down that I have been a vollie for over 25 years and on a county haz mat team.
                        On my second day of work, the safety manager was almost drooling when he came to see me. He needed some one to be the emergency response coordinator on my shift (evenings) and was almost begging me. How could I refuse? It's a little extra pay and a little extra paper work, but not bad and it looks good to the company brass.
                        We get first aid and CPR-D training, on the clock, and those of us that are vollies, either FD or Vol. Amb. Corps, get a donation check sent by the company every year.
                        So I would say yes, tell at least your immediate supervisor and if the opprtunity presents it self, put it on your application.
                        "Your spill is our thrill."

Comment

Yes, put it on your resume. I have it on my performance review here at work and my management know I can be counted on in a crunch.

Comment

Other than saying, yes put it on your resume I can't think of anything to add to the reasons that have already been stated. Good luck.
                            Vintage Firefighter: The older I get, the braver I was.

Comment

I don't think it's a bad idea to add it to your resume...especially if you're applying for an emergency services or related position, whether public or private.
                              I do have one piece of advice, however:
                              Unless you're applying for a job that requires specific certification that you have, don't go listing the alphabet soup of certs you hold! Civilian employers understand "Firefighter" and "EMT". They do not understand FF1, FF2, HAZMAT FRO, CSRO, SWRT, etc, etc. It's entirely unnecessary to list all that stuff if you're applying to be a barista at Starbucks or whatever.

I mention this solely because I know guys who do that--list every single cert they hold on every application they fill out. Keep it related to the job you're applying for (aka KISS principle).
                              Of course if you're applying for a Fire Service or EMS position, maybe even an LE one, by all means go right ahead and do the laundry list... but don't be "that guy", listing every Fire/EMS cert acronym known to man on a Pizza Hut application.
                              My opinions might coincide with someone of importance's POV... I wouldn't know, since I never bothered to ask. My policy is: "Don't ask, don't care."

IACOJ--West Coast PITA

Comment

300x600 Ad Unit (In-View)

Collapse

Upper 300x250

Collapse

Taboola

Collapse

Leader

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X