Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• sklump
    replied
    We don't have to deal with prevailing wages. The idea of a module for part of a station is interesting will look into that.

Leave a comment:

• Catch22
    replied
    Originally posted by sklump
    Yes we plan on having aleast one extra bay, if not more and tall enough doors for and ariel. We cover 2 townships and a village. We are north of Portage off I 39. Our growth is steady and the board wants it built for the future. We would be shot if it was 2 mill. Probably looking at a combination cement and pole building construction.
    You might look into pre-engineered metal buildings, too. I don't know if it works the same way or not as far as prevailing wage, but an ambulance district I work for gets a pre-fabbed house and builds a bay on it. All they have to pay prevailing wage on is the bay, concrete/foundation work, and dirt work. Might be something to look into that could save a buck.

Leave a comment:

• sklump
    replied
    Yes we plan on having aleast one extra bay, if not more and tall enough doors for and ariel. We cover 2 townships and a village. We are north of Portage off I 39. Our growth is steady and the board wants it built for the future. We would be shot if it was 2 mill. Probably looking at a combination cement and pole building construction.

Leave a comment:

• firefighterox
    replied
    There is a volly dept in williamsburg, IA that put up a 2 MILLION dollar station. Each truck has a drive through bay and at one end there is a drive through wash bay. The pressure washer is mounted on the wall with two "guns" to cut the wash time in half. I have not personally seen this station but a guy on our dept works for ACE Hardware as a driver and has gone through it. He said it is more than they will ever need. I'm gonna butcher this name but Shipshwanna, IN also put up a new station and planned for the future because with the way the town is being a tourist area its only a matter of time before they become a paid dept so the basement is plumbed but not yet finished. Is Oxford somewhere north of Portage? I go up to northern wisconsin via I-39 and highway 51 and i think i always pass a sign for oxford. What kind of town are you covering? is it growing rapidly, is it shrinking or what. I personally think you should also take that into concern when you plan the new station. We are in the same boat because we just got rid of two trucks that were old but still in decent condition that if we had the space it would have been nice to keep but we have made as much room as we can in our station to house or 6 trucks plus a 6x6 polaris ranger on a trailer. I guess we should be happy we are in the situation we are, the only truck older than a '98 is a '64 chevy brush truck. Our '98 international tanker is going to be going in for a refurb at some point soon i think.

Leave a comment:

• Catch22
    replied
    we are in the next phase looking for plans for station to house 6 trucks and an ambulance for volunteers. Also what has worked and what would you do different?
    Two variances of the same idea I like to fill trucks. One is my vollie station's way. We have a 4" main running across ceiling above the trucks with good sized valves and hoses attached for quick top fills. I'd love to have drive through bays to go with it, maybe if we get to build another one some day.

The other way I've seen it done is to have a hydrant or standpipe between doors so they can stretch a hose to trucks on either bay and fill them.

I will recommend you look at a lot of designs, then look at some more. Then go and visit various stations, talk with the guys about what they like/dislike, and then visit some more. Talk with your guys and find out what they'd like to see (within reason). Make sure living/sleeping areas are close to bays to help expedite getting to the rigs. Little things make a world of difference. One other thing, make sure you plan for the future! It'll be a waste of time and tax-payers money if you outgrow the station in a few years due to the fact you didn't plan ahead (i.e., even if you don't have a aerial truck, figure you might have one some day. Same for personnel living in the station).

Leave a comment:

• sklump
    replied
    I am sorry I do apprciate you that have helped! This would be a replacement station there isn't enough room on the currant sight. Actualy we would trade places with our public works deparment.

Leave a comment:

• doublej986
    replied
    we are in the next phase looking for plans for station to house 6 trucks and an ambulance for volunteers. Also what has worked and what would you do different?
    sklump,
    There are a couple of websites for architects that specialize in fire dept. design. Go to www.ask.com and type in fire station design. You should get a couple of them. I checked it out, pretty neat designs. As for the justification part, The best way to get someone to believe something is to allow them to see it for themselves. Get the point? Invite everyone to your station and make them walk around it. If it is really bad then there should be no problem. You might have a hard time getting grants for new construction. Most only will do remodeling of current stations. Good luck though.

Leave a comment:

• WMFF12
    replied
    Not trying to be a jerk or anything, but how bout you acknowledge the bits of wisdom that these guys are trying to give you? Before you roll on to the next question?

Leave a comment:

• sklump
    replied
    plans for new station

Leave a comment:

• WCENG23
    replied
    Several years ago we contacted a third party consultant to prepare an unbiased needs assesment for our districts. Our consultant was from Univ. of TN. I would imagine many universities have similar departments or people that could do an assesment for your department.

Leave a comment:

• doughesson
    replied
    Explain at public meetings how a new station will reduce their insurance rates,lower the tax burden by reduced building maintenance(if the building job is done right the first time!)and reduce response times to areas farther away from the older or replaced station.
    My old vollie department kept getting asked "Whyfor is it taking so long to build?"and "Why is the station so big?You only have four trucks in it all the time."because the contractor was dragging his feet and cutting corners.The Chief started getting TV time whenever we were about to have a Trustees meeting to discuss construction progress and he'd invite the public,whether they lived in district or not,to come visit.
    People got the answers they'd wanted and we got a new station.There were bugs needing fixing when I left the department and the contractor didn't like the taste of the costs as the BOT made him eat them.People are noticing the reduced insurance and other bennies like how the Brownies,Rotary and other groups can rent a nice meeting area for less than it would elsewhere in town and they can see why we need a bigger station when the new trucks start coming in years down the line.
    Stick with how a new station will benefit the area and people will come around.
    Last edited by doughesson; 10-27-2006, 11:49 AM.

Leave a comment:

• mtnfireguy
    replied
    USDA Grant info

http://www.rurdev.usda.gov/rhs/cf/brief_cp_grant.htm

http://www.rurdev.usda.gov/rhs/cf/cp.htm

Leave a comment:

• Catch22
    replied
    One other thing you might look into is finding some sources to help the costs of building a new facility. Rural development grant/loans, CDBG, etc. Taxpayers like it when they're not flipping the entire bill. You may even find out you don't need a tax hike to get it done. There's a ton of ways to cut expenses out there, it's just finding them.

Leave a comment:

• lexfd5
    replied
    We have the reasons to build a new station, but that doesn't mean the plublic and all board members may understand our needs. You have to walk side ways to get between the trucks that is how tight it is. We share the building, bathroom, and meeting room with the village and library.There is no room on the lot to add on.
    I do that every third work day. Are sharing those facilities really a problem. Like I try to teach my kids is it a want or a need?

To get any funding you have to make them understand your needs.

Leave a comment:

• Catch22
    replied
    Numbers, numbers, numbers. You're going to have to justify to the voters why you need it. i.e., prolonged response times, ISO requires a station at this location, we're having a lot of calls in this area and need a closer station, etc. Voters want to know how much it's going to cost them and why you think you need it.

One thing I'd recommend is get up in the morning and join the coffee shop crowd. Ask them what they think, they'll be a pretty good measure of the community (assuming you're small town).

Leave a comment:

300x600 Ad Unit (In-View)

Collapse

Upper 300x250

Collapse

Taboola

Collapse

Leader

Collapse
Working...
X