No announcement yet.

New Members Age?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Plus add the highest property taxes in the nation!.....

Comment

Noew I have heard everything ....

What is the logic of having a maximum age for initial membership on a volunteer fire department?
      Train to fight the fires you fight.

Comment

Most of the time the first FF to arrive at the station is 79.He lives close by and will have the doors up and the trucks running when the rest show up.He also drives and fights fire.There was a time when our day time Ff's were all over 65 and sometimes still are.Some depts. have alot to choose from and can be real picky.There were times when we had to just find someone to go with us.Those days are long gone thank God.

Comment

Originally posted by LaFireEducator
          What is the logic of having a maximum age for initial membership on a volunteer fire department?
          I don't really see one at all. I firmly believe the decision to take in a member should be based on the potential member's fitness level and health (as determined by a qualified physician during an examination specifically addressing a high stress job like firefighting), their moral character (as determined by a background check and character references) and by their desire to join for good reasons. Also, there are plenty of administrative and non-interior jobs that need to be done in a volunteer company that can be filled by someone who might not be healthy or fit enough for interior work. Our dept has a member with a partial disability who so happens to be one of the most active guys around and is a tremendous assest both on the fireground as an Accountability Officer as well as off it as a company Trustee and Fire Prevention Officer.

Age means nothing. We had a 16 year old kid join just over a month ago who was a very active and fit athlete and passed his dept physical with flying colors. He died in his sleep a few weeks ago of an apparent undetected heart condition. While obviously tragic, it illustrates the sobering reality that even those we consider the most youthful and fit among us can succumb to injury or disease at any time.

Comment

Exactly my point Chauffer.

To exclude folks over the age of 45 is excluding a HUGE pool of talent, life and work experiences. The physical condition of the person shoul be the determining factor. The skills and knowledge base that someone over 45 brings to the table is enormous. I would be interested in seeing the history as to why this law was passed in NJ and find out the motivation(s) behind it.
            Train to fight the fires you fight.

Comment

In are county you must be 18 to join. There is no cap on age, but there has been talk of making firefighters over 50 to get a physical and eye exam. Some vfd's have all ready started this. My vfd is doing whatever we can to get younger firefighters onboard. There are only 5 out of 35 members on are vfd that are under 30.

www.pineblufffire.com

Comment

I'm not sure why the State of NJ picked 45 as it's max age, although I believe it had something to do with unions and paid FF's and mandatory retirement ages. The State Association is for paid/poc/volunteer so it's rules apply to all FF's. I know it has not stopped anyone from becoming a member of a vol fd, it just stops them from being a member of the State Association...(which most people don't really care about anyways).

There is no law in NJ that says you can't be over age ## and join a vol fd.
                Last edited by Bones42; 09-11-2006, 12:35 PM.
                "This thread is being closed as it is off-topic and not related to the fire industry." - Isn't that what the Off Duty forum was for?

Comment

300x600 Ad Unit (In-View)

Collapse

Upper 300x250

Collapse

Taboola

Collapse

Leader

Collapse
                Working...
                X