Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

nomex hood tucked above the straps in my helmet
    structure gloves on the velcro loop sewn into my coat
    20 feet of webbing and a caribeaner (use this more than I ever could have imagined)
    Little ed LED reciol light on the snap hook on my coat (nice flashlight)
    pair of nitrile gloves in every pocket(hate wasting time looking for them)
    some strong mint gum for stinky situations ever smell a lower GI bleed

other than that I keep them empy so I can load up what I need for the call. I keep snips, gloves and window punch etc. on the rescue. Similar on my engine for fire calls.

Comment

Structure gloves
      Extrication gloves
      Gerber tool
      medical gloves (2 pair)
      Nomex hoods (2, cold weather one stays warm)
      combination tool, window punch/seatbelt cutter/hydrant wrench
      3M tape

I have never felt like I needed anything else that would fit in my pockets.
      The tools are essential. Many times I have been asked because guys know I carry them. Use them for access (screwdriver), removing battery cables, door hinges, gas shut offs, and seatbelts.
      Tape has more uses than just medical. When power is cut, I have used it to collect wiring and tie it off to keep guys from getting entangled.
      We don't always get proper rehab, so in the winter, I thaw icy gloves under the engine's exhaust, and throw on a warm nomex hood.

Comment

I'm pretty simple.

Structure gloves in one leg.
        Hood in the other leg.
        Extrication and medical gloves in one coat pocket.
        Window punch, pen-light, electrical tape, etc, in the other coat pocket.
        Radio in the radio pocket if it isn't in the cupholder of my truck.
        Even the burger-flippers at McDonald's probably have some McWackers.

Comment

electrical tape

Haven't seen this mentioned yet. When I joined up an older and wiser member gave me a roll of electrical tape and told me to keeep it in my gear. I keep it in the bottom of my radio pocket and have used it on several occasions -- it's never in the tool bag or easy to find on the rig when you need it.
          -ww

Comment

Interesting idea. I will be condensing and posting those results soon so we can try to get an idea of what "we" really need. It will be neat to see if it works. I know all of us have our thing, but if we could get it down to a few basic items, I think that would say a lot for the unity of firefighters nationwide. I hope to post those results shortly. Thanks.

Comment

helmet: 4-aa fllash light, ear plugs on string tied to inside of helmet and hoodie
              left jacket upper: hard eye glsass case, cable cutters 10" , 4 rubber home made door latch covers .
              rght jacket upper: Streamlight Survior smoke cutter , empty for now soon to be cheap utility knife.
              left right lower jacket leather overhaul glove.
              right pants: 6' webb-hose strap -yellow,
              left pants: 20' web orange. with aluminum biner.
              Fire innovation Colorado belt sr3: chain saw/ flash light strap left.
              50' 8mm escape rope in bag cliped to tag ring.
              - firehooks unlimited-Hammermax in axe holder.
              large binner steel on holders
              CMC aluminum ladder hook on M.U.S.
              radio sling out of jacket between scott pack belt

Comment

Right Coat: EMS gloves
                Left Coat: Spanner
                Right Pant: Structure Gloves
                Left Pant: 2nd set of structure gloves, 20' 1" webbing, with 2 locking beeners.
                "The uniform you wear was given to you. The respect that comes with it must be earned."

Heretic
                Lieutenant
                Vermont

Comment

rescue84,
                  You almost confused me. I thought I'd seen your list before. Double-duty FF like me, huh?

Comment

Ok...Here goes my first post...

Radio in the radio pocket.
                    Streamlight smoke cutter in front loop.
                    2-pair latex in a pouch in my suspenders.
                    Rescue gloves and safety glasses in my left cargo.
                    Firefighting gloves and nomex in right cargo.
                    Cable Cutter,notepad and pen in left jacket pocket.
                    Seatbelt cutter and glass punch in my right pocket.
                    And my favorite, a small pair of Vise-Grips clipped onto the inside of my jacket where hidden from prying eyes.(sad but true)

There...my cherry is popped....

Comment

Radio in Radio Pocket
                      Safety Glasses
                      Flashlight
                      Biner
                      Tubular Webbing
                      Short Length of Rope
                      Extrication Gloves
                      Structure Gloves
                      Window Punch
                      Extra Medical Gloves
                      Soapstone for SAR

Seperate Fanny Pack for med calls and MVAs (w/ airways, BP cuff, etc)

Comment

i have a foldable spanner with a seatbelt cutter in the one end, nomex, and in my other pocket i have 10' of rescue rope
                        " IF GUNS KILL PEOPLE THEN I CAN BLAME MY MISSPELLINGS ON MY PENCIL" -Larry The Cable Guy-

Comment

Originally posted by jdlowndes
                          HAHAHAHA, now that is funny! I need to get me a deck of those to!

Well,as I tell the kiddies at school visits,it's because I've found that if you are on a deserted and uncharted island,you can deal out a hand of solitaire and ten minutes later,some wise acre will be tapping your shoulder saying"Hey,man,I'm not sayin' nothin'but if you put that red 8 on the black nine,you can play out that game."
                          If trapped,I intend to deal a hand and just wait.

Comment

lets see,
                            in my coat pockets...
                            -I have structural gloves (left glove in the left pocket right in the right pocket),
                            -a res q wrench,
                            - a leatherman.

I have my face mask in my mask pouch on my coat.

a responder RA division 1 flashlight clipped to a loop on my coat.

I have an extra pair of gloves in a pouch on my suspenders

In my bunker pans pockets, I have...
                            -25 ft of webbing with loops on each end and a beiner on one end,
                            -a pocket knife,
                            -some wood wedges, a pelican s
                            -uper saber light 3c,
                            -safty glasses
                            -and a pen. I think thats it

and I'm adding a deck of cards after reading that last post.

Comment

In or on my coat:
                              - A Streamlight Survivor flashlight
                              - Shove knife for doors
                              - Safety glasses (wrapped in a triangular bandage to keep from getting scratched up)
                              - Notebook & pen
                              - Small tool roll with a cheap 4-in-1 screwdriver, pliers, folding knife, glass punch, AC electric test light, and a couple small hex keys for resetting pull stations
                              - Portable radio, with a Fox 40 whistle hanging on the speaker-mic (much better than yelling to get someone's attention when things are about to go bad)
                              - Pair of ear plugs

In my pants pockets:
                              - One pair firefighting gloves, one pair for extrication
                              - 3 or 4 small door/sprinkler chocks
                              - folding spanner
                              - Rope-hose tool (a 4 foot webbing loop with an extra-large carabiner on it
                              - C-cell Pelican flashlight (for when the rechargeable Streamlight craps out, or when you need to look someplace you can't easily point the one on your coat
                              - Pair of heavy-duty diagonal cutters with a lanyard attached (a must-have to free yourself from wire entaglements!)

On a structure fire call, I also wear a gut belt with a 50' bailout rope, 16" "Truckie Tool" (a mini-halligan without the pike - amazing what you can get in to or out of with it), and a Streamlight Vulcan (lighter and just as bright as a Lightbox)

I know it's a lot of stuff, but all of it gets used on a regular basis. I'd rather have it on the first trip, than have to go back to the engine to get it! If I was to consider pairing it down, the "must-haves" would be the firefighting gloves (duh), diagonal cutters, C-cell flashlight, door wedges, and portable radio. These will either keep you out of trouble, or give you a way to get out or get help if tings set ugly.
                              R.A. Ricciuti
                              Mt. Lebanon Fire Department

Comment

Coat: FF gloves in my coat pockets, along with a small multi tool, and a pair of safety glasses in my radio pocket.
                                Pants: mechanics gloves and thats it, I also keep my smokes in there when I'm drving the meatbox

hood is attached to my coat
                                on my helmet i have a Garritty light, and 2 chocks

Comment

300x600 Ad Unit (In-View)

Collapse

Upper 300x250

Collapse

Taboola

Collapse

Leader

Collapse
                                Working...
                                X