What's In Your Pocket?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• What's In Your Pocket?

I know this has probably been covered before, but I have a purpose behind it.

I want to know:
    1.) What tools do you think are ABSOLUTELY NECESSARY to carry in your fire gear pockets (taking into account size and weight) such as wire snips, screw and nut driver , pliars, center-punch, etc.?

2.) And of those items, which ones do you SPECIFICALLY RECOMMEND for any firefighter (i.e. Craftsman Mini-Ratchet 2000 (ficticious)) that have worked well for you and held up through the years.

I want to make kind of a "Master List" and condense it to the most highly recommended items that can fit into hopefully one pocket of your gear, but just about cover it all. Please take into consideration size, weight, and durability. I hope to offer a kit with these specific items in it and have it created by firefighters, known as the lightest, yet most durable set of tools available. I know there are multi-tools (Leatherman, Gerber, etc.) out there, but I am not a big fan of those personally, and they can not do even some of the basics very well. So, give me your thoughts.

Thanks for your help in advance. I'll do comparative updates as we go so you don't have to read all the posts if I get a lot of responses, like a poll.

Being in the fire service for over 30 years I may be one of the few who would know what this is but along with the "normal" stuff in my pocket I carry a Jones Snap Pick. Great for busting or prying windows.
    Steve Dragon
    FFII, Fire Instructor II, Fire Officer I, Fire Appartus Driver Operator Certified
    Volunteers are never "off duty".
    http://www.bufd7.org

Comment

Lets see:
      Flashlight (never use it)
      Structure Gloves
      Vehicle rescue Gloves
      Seatbelt cutter (i know its in there somewhere but i can never seem to find it)
      Nomex Hood

Used to have a knife but it fell out at somepoint.
      Do a little dance, make a little rum, Italian Ice! Italian Ice!

Actual lyric: Do a little dance, make a little love, get down tonight, get down tonight.
      (KC & The Sunshine Band "Do A Little Dance")

My thoughts are mine alone and do not represent the thoughts of any Organization to which I am affiliated.

Comment

What I got is Note Pad and Paper,Medical Gloves and A Knife
        If someone with multiple personalities threatens to kill himself, is it considered a hostage situation?

Ryan

Comment

I carry lots of crap in my pockets so I'll let you know what I actually use on a consistent basis:

Two 20ft. sections of webbing with a couple 'beaners on 'em,
          One handed-yet heavy duty wire cutters (the spring-loaded ones are great),
          Some smaller wire nips,
          A good gravity knife,
          A miniature crow bar (10 inches),
          A gerber multipurpose tool,
          A poket spanner,
          Channel Locks,
          A pair of trauma shears,
          A CPR glove and barrier pack,
          A couple pairs of extra medical gloves,
          A pair of "Roper" gloves for overhaul, general stuff
          A pair of extrication gloves

and finally...

a spring-loaded window punch.

Your best bet man, is NOT to get expensive tools... YOU ARE GOING TO LOSE THEM! I'm talking from experience. Go to a place like Harbor Freight tools or a similiar place and buy them. Cheap, so you won't be hating life when you lose you $3 channel locks, instead of your $15 "Craftsman" channel locks.
          Last edited by thefightn13th; 08-14-2006, 12:34 AM.
          Standing at the edge of the gene pool, with a gallon of Chlorox...

Comment

Structure coat:
            Res-Q-Rench (or however they spell that)
            Leatherman "Wave" pocket multi-tool (not new, fresh out of the box! *LOL*)
            1 12' length of tubular nylon webbing
            Structure Gloves

Extra med gloves I keep in my structure pants, opposite my hood (hood in right cargo pocket, extra med gloves in left). Everything else, I have a fanny pack for. I generally take the POV that I'm either there to be an EMT, or there to fight fire. I try not to mix and match missions if at all possible.

That's it. KISS principle works fine for me.
            My opinions might coincide with someone of importance's POV... I wouldn't know, since I never bothered to ask. My policy is: "Don't ask, don't care."

IACOJ--West Coast PITA

Comment

I try to keep it simple since everything you need should be on the engine, but:

- Med gloves.
              - a 2000 lb rated Carbiner
              - 25 feet of utility rope (admittedly a carryover habit from fire one)

I've been thinking of carrying my Gerber multipurpose tool, but knowing how chaotic fire calls can be, I'd probably lose it....

Comment

Mine is very simple...

Structure gloves
                Extrication gloves
                Extra pair EMS gloves (in small plastic container to keep sterile)
                Knife
                Pencil
                Paper
                Nomex hood

Comment

Excellent work. Keep'em rollin' in. I'm keeping a tally. Thanks!

Comment

When I was on my old department,I carried:
                    two Res-q Renches for when I needed an "opposite lead"on unhooking a hose,
                    a 20 foot length of tubular webbing tied for self rescue,etc,
                    one of several flashlights with the newest batteries,
                    my radio,
                    a crescent wrench/hammer,
                    a deck of Bicycles in case I ever got trapped beyond reach of my RIT crew.

Comment

Originally posted by doughesson
                      a deck of Bicycles in case I ever got trapped beyond reach of my RIT crew.
                      HAHAHAHA, now that is funny! I need to get me a deck of those to!

I carry:
                      Gloves (Structural)
                      Gloves (Extrication)
                      Gloves (EMS)
                      20' of rope
                      2 Folding spanners

I consider my rope to be my MIO!
                      BTW, my Flashlight is secured to my helmet.
                      Last edited by jdlowndes; 08-15-2006, 02:12 PM.

Comment

23 years.

Coat pockets - my gloves.
                        Left pants pocket - extrication gloves and safety glasses.
                        Right pants pocket - 30' roll webbing, nomex hood, pliers.

Have seen guys with lots more stuff in their pockets and found they never use the stuff. I'm in the K.I.S.S. school.
                        "This thread is being closed as it is off-topic and not related to the fire industry." - Isn't that what the Off Duty forum was for?

Comment

Coat Pockets- Utility Knife,Wire Cutter,10' Webbing,Flashlight
                          Pant Pockets- Gloves, Hood, Wedge-IT
                          KISS
                          Good Idea to take the most common and make a multi-purpose tool.
                          I have to agree, a leatherman or gerber is to hard to open with fire gloves.
                          Do not equate money with success. There are many successful moneymakers who are miserable failures as human beings.
                          What counts most about success is how a person achieves it.

Nordy

Comment

Structure gloves
                            Nomex hood
                            Occasionally a Portable radio
                            Blistex for long calls outside in winter.
                            IACOJ
                            If you are willing to teach;
                            I am willing to learn.

Comment

Wire Nippes (VERY HANDY)
                              Door chock
                              LED flashlight
                              extra Garity light
                              folding spanner
                              nomex hood

another Garity light on my helmet
                              "You choose to go voluntarily into the fire. The blaze might well destroy you. But if you survive, every blow of the hammer will serve to shape your being. Every drop of water wrung from you will temper and strengthen your soul." Margaret Weis

Paul Richardson
                              Firefighter/EMT-B
                              OVFD unit# 343/SLVFD unit# 610

Comment

300x600 Ad Unit (In-View)

Collapse

Upper 300x250

Collapse

Taboola

Collapse

Leader

Collapse