Required staffing per ISO

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Required staffing per ISO

Okay, this I've heard that to get credit from ISO for a volunteer engine company on scene, you must have 8 firefighters on scene. Is that true?

If it is, does any one know what the requirement is on a truck company?

I mean we are sometime lucky to have 4 firefighters from our department show up. Would you receive credit for mutual aid companies and firefighters?

I just don't know about this
    LT/EMT Wright
    I A C O J
    LOXLEY WARRIORS
    All opinions expressed are solely of my personal opinion and in no way reflect those of my department. This is for those of you who use a large stick to stir excrement.

The ISO minimum response to a fire is listed as 4 in the FSRS. There is no maximum.

I believe you are limited to a max. of 12 per company, but don't hold me to that (too much manpower has never been an issue for us, either). Volunteer and off-duty career manpower is calculated at 1/3 the rate of on-duty firefighters, career or volunteer.
    ullrichk
    a.k.a.
    perfesser

a ship in a harbor is safe. . . but that's not what ships are for

Comment

It's all here

Click here ISO Mitigation

All the rules are there.

Don't believe everything you hear. It's not supposed to be a secret. Call the mitigation line and get the answer straight from ISO. They have been a big help to me.

Stay Safe
      Last edited by TriTownship600; 09-06-2005, 06:58 PM. Reason: spellin, speling, spelling ...... fat fingers

Comment

4 Cert'd FF's on first truck out the door. 3 packed up, one in passenger seat ( Officer/IC ) , and MPO driving

Comment

Hmmm.
          My chief should know this one.
          We just had our ISO audit today.
          We have an outside shot of going to a 5 from a 6.
          Worst case is that we will stay the same.
          CR
          Visit www.iacoj.com
          Remember Bradley Golden (9/25/01)
          RIP HOF Robert J. Compton(ENG6511)

Comment

We just went through the ISO experience, we went from a 6 to a 4. It took alot of work and equiptment upgrade but it was all worth it

Comment

Originally posted by efd824
              We just went through the ISO experience, we went from a 6 to a 4. It took alot of work and equiptment upgrade but it was all worth it
              Man; that's fantastic.
              You should all be proud.
              Obviously, the hard work paid off.
              Your community is lucky to have you and it is THEY who needs to know what it took to get them a better rate on their insurance.
              Congratulations.
              CR
              Visit www.iacoj.com
              Remember Bradley Golden (9/25/01)
              RIP HOF Robert J. Compton(ENG6511)

Comment

Well I work full time for an ISO Class 1 department and we run with 3 man Engine Companys and our Rescue and Trucks are supposed to have 3 but get dropped to 2 on a regular basis.

Comment

While staffing is a part of the ISO equation, I just talked with some guys from Plano, TX about their ISO Class 1 rating, and the overall consensus was that it was simply a matter of jumping through the right hoops, keeping things documented, etc. Sure, certain water flow and staffing minimums must be met, and certain limitations exist with regards to road miles to an address, etc. - but I'd be willing to bet a lot of departments aren't at a rating level that they could be due to paperwork and record-keeping snafus.

I'm not taking away from those that have achieved success with their ISO ratings (we're a 4 and 100% volunteer, and we're about due for another audit). We could probably do better with regards to some of the record keeping requirements.

I've heard some of the EMS accreditations involve even more hoop jumping and juggling to do well.
                  "Share your knowledge - it's a way to achieve immortality." - Stolen from Chase Sargent's Buddy to Boss program

Comment

keeping things documented
                    The true secret to ISO success.
                    "This thread is being closed as it is off-topic and not related to the fire industry." - Isn't that what the Off Duty forum was for?

Comment

Thanks for the input folks
                      LT/EMT Wright
                      I A C O J
                      LOXLEY WARRIORS
                      All opinions expressed are solely of my personal opinion and in no way reflect those of my department. This is for those of you who use a large stick to stir excrement.

Comment

300x600 Ad Unit (In-View)

Collapse

Upper 300x250

Collapse

Taboola

Collapse

Leader

Collapse
                      Working...
                      X