Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• bobsnyder
    replied
    Re: Reports and Recordkeeping: Who Does It?

I'll hit these individually...

>> Who does it? Do you have a person in charge of different reports?

The general oversight and management of records, both for internal use and feeding the system used to report to NFIRS falls to the 2nd Asst. Chief. His efforts are fed by reports from a number of others, as below...

>> Do you have a person in charge of training records?

Lieutenant

>> Maintenance records?

Chief Engineer (Apparatus),
    Lieutenant (Loose Equipment/Turnouts/Radios)
    Trustees (Buildings, Grounds, General Office, etc.)

>> Hose-testing records?

Lieutenant

>> SCBA records?

Chief Engineer

>> Personnel records?

1st. Asst. Chief

I'll also add the following:

Incident Reports: OIC (time of incident),
    2nd. Asst. Chief (thereafter)

Financials: Treausurer (operations),
    Chief (budgets & municipal liaison)

Apparatus Ops. Records: Engineers (when apparatus is used)

There are probably more that I haven't thought of...hope this helps.

Leave a comment:

• July36
    replied
    I am Chief of a small Independent Company and I do MOST of the recordkeeping...what little recordkeeping we need to do.
    I do the reports for ALL incidents,my Asst Chief does the reports for weekly or monthly maintenance(ie,hose,SCBA,vehicles,etc),my Training Officer handles Training sessions and attendance and a meeting secretary handles the meeting minutes and our funding board handles everything having to do with funds going out or coming in(ie,donations,expenses for vehicle maintenance,fuel,etc).As for me,i review all of these and approve to my satisfaction.Every report or record is mandatory to be on my desk for my review.
    Were not really required to do all this paperwork BUT with us being Independent,we feel its neccessary due to problems that could arise later either by the public or by the County.

Donna C
    Fire Chief
    Bridge Canyon VFD
    http://cms.firehouse.com/dept/SeligmanAZ

Leave a comment:

• TLFD40
    replied
    Drivers do it

We have paid drivers that do the fire reports, and anything dealing with equipment. the training officer does all the training paperwork.

Leave a comment:

• 5pts384
    replied
    The secretary keeps all records and sends in the fire reports (she had the first computer). She grilllls me when I get back from a fire until she has the info she needs. Training reports for the Fl 160 hr. class are kept by the trainer with help from his mother (the secretary). We all get the same pay -- helping our neighbors.
    The paperwork is getting to be a real chore, Trying to keep ISO happy,they must have people that have nothing to do but come up new ideas for us to write about.

stay safe

Leave a comment:

• Flochief
    replied
    The chief does it all, with 14 volunteers call volume of 160. its amazing at the paperwork that a small dept. has. I would hate to see what a large dept. has to do.

Leave a comment:

• Weruj1
    replied
    CR .......the Records Lt gets paid at a Lt rate of pay when doing her payroll. All others can get thier rate of rank hourly pay if needed, if say hose testing is done on a drill night then only hte drill pay rate will apply ........K ? let me know if you need more

Leave a comment:

• jstafrftr
    replied
    We have a Chief, Deputy Chief, 2 Asst's, 2 Captains, & 2 Lt's. All are responsible for different record keeping, under the direction of the Chief. I seem to be involved in most, because I have the most knowledge of the computer system, and teach the other ones how to use them. I also am the secretary for the Chief and Trustees, and was recently named Lt. As officers, all are paid a salary, with the higher officers making more money. Our last payroll had like $6,000.00 in officers salary for 6 months. Salaries range from $3,000.00 per year to $1,000.00 per year for the officers. Hope this helps.

Leave a comment:

• Bones42
    replied
    CR, the "record keepers" get the same pay as all the rest....0. And I really mean 0. No clothing reimbursment, no uniform allowance, no "gas mileage" expenses, nothing, nada. Their duties are spelled out in our company By-Laws, so everyone knows what they are getting themselves into. For some reason, we keep on doing it...

Leave a comment:

• ff7134
    replied
    When I was a volunteer, the knowledge of a job well done and knowing the stuff was being done correctly. The secretary is their for the chief not us, she got taking care of the reports because she had the newest computer .

Leave a comment:

• 80FIRE
    replied
    Re: Reports and Recordkeeping: Who Does It?

[QUOTE]Originally posted by ChiefReason
    My question is: who does it? Do you have a person in charge of different reports? Do you have a person in charge of training records?
    The Chief

Maintenance records?

The Chief

Hose-testing records?

The Chief

SCBA records?

The Chief

Personnel records?

The Chief

Who is the person(s) doing it for your department?

The Chief

And if you have someone doing it, do they get some type of payment for it?

YES I recently got a 50% raise in salary

If so, how much?

Lets see, Nothing times 50% still equals Nothing

[QUOTE]

Leave a comment:

• RyanEMVFD
    replied
    like the one post we get paid with the pleasure of a larger headache.

Leave a comment:

• ChiefReason
    replied
    What's a secretary?

So, not just the chief does the reports or recordkeeping?
    How are the other people involved incentified to do this or was it a part of their job description to begin with?
    Is there some kind of added pay involved?
    You all did a great job of breaking it down for me, but you didn't mention pay, if any.
    I guess my question is: if I was going to make it the responsibility of two officers to do the reports and recordkeeping, should they receive additional compensation and if so, how much?
    There; that ought to do it.
    CR

Leave a comment:

• ff7134
    replied
    Fire/EMS Reports - Dept. Secretary
    Training Reports - Myself or the Bureau LT
    Maint Reports - Bureau Capt
    Personnel - Dept. Secretary
    Time Sheets/Payroll - Each person then turned in to the Twp clerk
    Equipment Inventory/Ordering - Myself or the Bureau LT

Leave a comment:

• FightingDevil
    replied
    We have a secretary who handles minutes for the trustees and other meetings.

Run logs are kept by the OIC or Lt. after the run is finished.

Training logs are kept by the training officer(s) (Deputy Chief & Lt.)

Inventory (gear) is kept by the Lt.

Truck inventory is kept by the Chief Engineers & engineers.

Truck run logs are entered by the driver after each run.

Hope this helps.

-Devil

Leave a comment:

• Halligan84
    replied
    Incident reports are entered at the watch desk terminal by the officer in charge at the time of the run
    In house training is entered similarly by the OIC
    Out of station training is tracked by the Board Clerk (career position) (certificate and file update) members responsible for entering an activity report in the computer
    SCBA / Hose testing and Maintenance is tracked by the District FF/Mechanic (career position)
    Personnel files are handled by Board Clerk
    Medical records are maintained by a contracted firm that performs our initial physicals, ongoing physicals, post injury follow up and BBP training
    Primarily volunteer organization 45 vols, 3 career FF (1 is the mechanic) and 1 clerk (non-firefighting)

Leave a comment:

300x600 Ad Unit (In-View)

Collapse

Upper 300x250

Collapse

Taboola

Collapse

Leader

Collapse
Working...
X