Leader

Collapse

Announcement

Collapse

Firehouse.com Forum Rules & Guidelines

Forum Rules & Guidelines

Not Permitted or Tolerated:
• Advertising and/or links of commercial, for-profit websites, products, and/or services is not permitted. If you have a need to advertise on Firehouse.com please contact [email protected]
• Fighting/arguing
• Cyber-bullying
• Swearing
• Name-calling and/or personal attacks
• Spamming
• Typing in all CAPS
• “l33t speak” - Substituting characters for letters in an effort to represent a word or phrase. (example: M*****ive)
• Distribution of another person’s personal information, regardless of whether or not said information is public knowledge and whether or not an individual has permission to post said personal information
• Piracy advocation of any kind
• Racist, sexual, hate type defamatory, religious, political, or sexual commentary.
• Multiple forum accounts

Forum Posting Guidelines:

Posts must be on-topic, non-disruptive and relevant to the firefighting community. Post only in a mature and responsible way that contributes to the discussion at hand. Posting relevant information, helpful suggestions and/or constructive criticism is a great way to contribute to the community.

Post in the correct forum and have clear titles for your threads.

Please post in English or provide a translation.

There are moderators and admins who handle these forums with care, do not resort to self-help, instead please utilize the reporting option. Be mature and responsible for yourself and your posts. If you are offended by another member utilize the reporting option. All reported posts will be addressed and dealt with as deemed appropriate by Firehouse.com staff.

Firehouse.com Moderation Process:
Effective immediately, the following moderation process will take effect. User(s) whose posts are determined by Firehouse.com staff to be in violation of any of the rules above will EARN the following reprimand(s) in the moderation process:
1. An initial warning will be issued.
2. A Final Warning will be issued if a user is found to be in violation a second time.
3. A 3-day suspension will be issued if the user continues to break the forum rules.
4. A 45-day suspension will be issued if the user is found to be a habitual rule breaker.
5. Habitual rule breakers that have exhausted all of the above will receive a permanent life-time ban that will be strictly enforced. Reinstatement will not be allowed – there is no appeal process.

Subsequent accounts created in an effort to side-step the rules and moderation process are subject to automatic removal without notice. Firehouse.com reserves the right to expedite the reprimand process for any users as it is deemed necessary. Any user in the moderation process may be required to review and agree to by email the terms and conditions listed above before their account is re-instated (except for those that are banned).

Firehouse.com reserves the right to edit and/or remove any post or member, at any time, for any reason without notice. Firehouse.com also reserves the right to warn, suspend, and/or ban, any member, at any time, for any reason.

Firehouse.com values the active participation we have in our forums. Please ensure your posts are tasteful and tactful. Thank you very much for your cooperation.
See more
See less

Older Shy Volunteer Hinderance?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Older Shy Volunteer Hinderance?

I have been on fire department for last 5 years as a volunteer. I have very little time to give on non emergency issues (picnics, get togethers, other department related things). I live about 3 minutes away and usually first on scene. I am a really shy person around 40. I have multiple kids ranging in ages. Most people on department are younger and don?t have kids. I tend to be quiet but can carry a conversation. I am not the strongest but am extremely hardworking. I am up to date on all my training and certification. So I?m wondering how am I perceived within the department.

I guess I?m wondering if I am a hindrance to my department. Would people not trust or rely on me because of my lack of getting together outside the department and my shyness?

The way volunteer fire is slowly fading in the US, I would say you've got nothing to worry about.

Comment

There are all kinds of personalities in a department.

no problem

Suggest hook up with a couple of mentors to help you along.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JZdEH...e_gdata_player

Comment

In a similar situation myself, kids and family take a bunch of my free time. A number of our guys work for the city and so are running all the calls I can't respond to (work too far away) and that helps develop a camaraderie that I don't always feel apart of.
        All that being said, strive to make the picnics and whatnot. Bring the family. Make every attempt to attend the training days. Those guys are your family just the same regardless of whether or not you feel included. The way I look at it is, as long as you're training with your guys, they know your abilities and they are counting on you to have their back same as you are on them.
        Never once when advancing a line and I feel a forearm support my back, have I wondered who it was.

Comment

I think shyness is sometimes the fear of the unknown. Get to know it. As OutOfOffice said - make time for the non-fire functions and before long the unknowns will fall away.
          Opinions my own. Standard disclaimers apply.

Everyone goes home. Safety begins with you.

Comment

I judge other members of our company by how they act on scene. I try to do as much as I can, bingo, dinners, other fundraisers, but it doesn't bother me that some don't. One of our engineers is a little older, he is usually the first one to the station when the pager goes, he drives the engine, pumps water, we getback to the station, he fuels the truck, fills the tank, and leaves while a few of us stand around spreading the general BS. Nobody really cares that he never sticks around.

Comment

300x600 Ad Unit (In-View)

Collapse

Upper 300x250

Collapse

Taboola

Collapse

Leader

Collapse
            Working...
            X