Leader

Collapse

Announcement

Collapse

Firehouse.com Forum Rules & Guidelines

Forum Rules & Guidelines

Not Permitted or Tolerated:
• Advertising and/or links of commercial, for-profit websites, products, and/or services is not permitted. If you have a need to advertise on Firehouse.com please contact sales@firehouse.com
• Fighting/arguing
• Cyber-bullying
• Swearing
• Name-calling and/or personal attacks
• Spamming
• Typing in all CAPS
• “l33t speak” - Substituting characters for letters in an effort to represent a word or phrase. (example: M*****ive)
• Distribution of another person’s personal information, regardless of whether or not said information is public knowledge and whether or not an individual has permission to post said personal information
• Piracy advocation of any kind
• Racist, sexual, hate type defamatory, religious, political, or sexual commentary.
• Multiple forum accounts

Forum Posting Guidelines:

Posts must be on-topic, non-disruptive and relevant to the firefighting community. Post only in a mature and responsible way that contributes to the discussion at hand. Posting relevant information, helpful suggestions and/or constructive criticism is a great way to contribute to the community.

Post in the correct forum and have clear titles for your threads.

Please post in English or provide a translation.

There are moderators and admins who handle these forums with care, do not resort to self-help, instead please utilize the reporting option. Be mature and responsible for yourself and your posts. If you are offended by another member utilize the reporting option. All reported posts will be addressed and dealt with as deemed appropriate by Firehouse.com staff.

Firehouse.com Moderation Process:
Effective immediately, the following moderation process will take effect. User(s) whose posts are determined by Firehouse.com staff to be in violation of any of the rules above will EARN the following reprimand(s) in the moderation process:
1. An initial warning will be issued.
2. A Final Warning will be issued if a user is found to be in violation a second time.
3. A 3-day suspension will be issued if the user continues to break the forum rules.
4. A 45-day suspension will be issued if the user is found to be a habitual rule breaker.
5. Habitual rule breakers that have exhausted all of the above will receive a permanent life-time ban that will be strictly enforced. Reinstatement will not be allowed – there is no appeal process.

Subsequent accounts created in an effort to side-step the rules and moderation process are subject to automatic removal without notice. Firehouse.com reserves the right to expedite the reprimand process for any users as it is deemed necessary. Any user in the moderation process may be required to review and agree to by email the terms and conditions listed above before their account is re-instated (except for those that are banned).

Firehouse.com reserves the right to edit and/or remove any post or member, at any time, for any reason without notice. Firehouse.com also reserves the right to warn, suspend, and/or ban, any member, at any time, for any reason.

Firehouse.com values the active participation we have in our forums. Please ensure your posts are tasteful and tactful. Thank you very much for your cooperation.
See more
See less

Pennsylvania POV Lighting

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by PhillyRube View Post
    There was a big crackdown out near Pittsburgh a few years ago, where PSP was writing volunteers for interior lights.

You could look at Honolulu PD, they allow officers to use their own cars on duty. They have a strap rig that holds the light to the roof, then easily removed.

Now, I'll preach. When you join a department, you only volunteer twice: once when you join, once when you quit. In between, you have responsibilities. How come no one sits at the station between calls? Put 3 guys on a rotating schedule, so the first truck can roll out when the tones hit. Every one else responds to the house then rolls the next rig. Have a couple stations on mutual aid, and you get 3 or 4 trucks on scene to work. Need more, tone them out. No need to "respond" to the house. Just drive normally and be there to help clean up afterwards Did this 40 years in Virginia.
    If you have enough people to sit at the station, and you NEED them there on shifts, it's time to go full time or at least have part timers doing shifts. Volunteering is for when you don't have the call volume or tax base to have a paid crew.

Comment

Originally posted by JSJJ388 View Post

Thats unrealistic here. Our trucks hold two people. And unless you pay me, Im not sitting at the station for a "shift" regularly. We do that only when we are in "storm mode". Yet, we still manage to get 3-4 trucks en route in three minutes. Everyone but the ones grabbing trucks go to scene.

And that is the exact reason we run lights. In NC, you are allowed to go over the limit and pass as long as you use "due regard". In other words, dont be an idiot. They are also very strict on not being an idiot. If you get caught being stupid at the very least you lose the ability to run lights, and could be booted.

Well, I can't argue with that.

The fire service has changed. Seen it for almost 50 years. The public demands more now. They don't care if you are career or volunteer, they do care that if they call 911, the rigs roll right then and there. Several time that does not happen, watch the fireworks. I love volunteers, I really do. Except for a short time as a paid guy and paid medic, I was. My career was the US Navy and police. Volunteer on the side. If you want to survive, you have to adapt.

Comment

We are fortunate to have enough volunteers that can respond quickly during the day. I say enough, but I mean the bare minimum usually. Our deputy chief actually works right next door to the station, so he's there. Myself and two others work 1/2 mile away, and there's another guy that works for the town, so he's usually close by.
        Now, I use my red and white lights mostly at night, because I live at the other end of our road from one guy and the station is in the middle so we can see each other responding. I see flashing lights, I know it's Barry, so I don't need to call for a driver.

Comment

Thats unrealistic here. Our trucks hold two people. And unless you pay me, Im not sitting at the station for a "shift" regularly. We do that only when we are in "storm mode". Yet, we still manage to get 3-4 trucks en route in three minutes. Everyone but the ones grabbing trucks go to scene.

And that is the exact reason we run lights. In NC, you are allowed to go over the limit and pass as long as you use "due regard". In other words, dont be an idiot. They are also very strict on not being an idiot. If you get caught being stupid at the very least you lose the ability to run lights, and could be booted.
          Ok, you're a hobby firefighter?

Comment

Ok, you're a hobby firefighter?
            Nope. But I think I found the full time jackass!

Comment

Nope. But I think I found the full time jackass!
              No, I'm retired now. ***hole fits me better.
              Last edited by PhillyRube; 05-20-2019, 07:52 PM.

Comment

There was a big crackdown out near Pittsburgh a few years ago, where PSP was writing volunteers for interior lights.

You could look at Honolulu PD, they allow officers to use their own cars on duty. They have a strap rig that holds the light to the roof, then easily removed.

The interesting thing is that interior lights are not illegal as long as you can find a way to have 360 degree visibility.
                Thanks for your info on Honolulu. I looked at it, but don't think it'll work for me because I have roof racks on my car.

Comment

Just today I almost got T-Boned at an intersection in Bucks County Pa by a volly running a red light. I have said it before, I am saying it again.....Pa would be doing everyone a favor if they just made blue lights illegal.
                  "Loyalty Above all Else. Except Honor."

Comment

Originally posted by FWDbuff View Post
                    Just today I almost got T-Boned at an intersection in Bucks County Pa by a volly running a red light. I have said it before, I am saying it again.....Pa would be doing everyone a favor if they just made blue lights illegal.
                    Or just punish those who act like idiots...

Comment

Or just punish those who act like idiots...
                      Adrenaline is a funny thing...

Here in NY, you don't see as many blue lights as you used to - of course that could be in large part because you don't have as many volunteers as you used to.

As chief, I run red - but usually only if I'm going to the scene. Regardless of how some folks feel about chief's driving apparatus, I'd rather be driving the pumper than sitting on the scene wondering when it will arrive... And I only live a couple of blocks from the station.

Any more, when people see a blue light coming, they'll usually give way. OTOH, I've had people ignore my red lights and siren when they were firmly mounted on a very large fire truck...
                      Opinions my own. Standard disclaimers apply.

Everyone goes home. Safety begins with you.

Comment

Originally posted by tree68 View Post

Adrenaline is a funny thing...

Here in NY, you don't see as many blue lights as you used to - of course that could be in large part because you don't have as many volunteers as you used to.

As chief, I run red - but usually only if I'm going to the scene. Regardless of how some folks feel about chief's driving apparatus, I'd rather be driving the pumper than sitting on the scene wondering when it will arrive... And I only live a couple of blocks from the station.

Any more, when people see a blue light coming, they'll usually give way. OTOH, I've had people ignore my red lights and siren when they were firmly mounted on a very large fire truck...

True. I value being in the dept, so I keep my ducks in a row. I live close to the chief, usually end up right behind him heading to calls.

Our chief usually responds to scene, for the same reason most of us do. Its quicker to let the guys close by the station grab the trucks. Hes brought trucks as well though. I see no problem with the chief working like the rest of us.

Yea, people are pretty good at yielding for red lights here. If they werent, I wouldnt run them.

Comment

True. I value being in the dept, so I keep my ducks in a row. I live close to the chief, usually end up right behind him heading to calls.

Our chief usually responds to scene, for the same reason most of us do. Its quicker to let the guys close by the station grab the trucks. Hes brought trucks as well though. I see no problem with the chief working like the rest of us.

Yea, people are pretty good at yielding for red lights here. If they werent, I wouldnt run them.
                          Maybe it would help if you guys got out of the 1960's and spec'd fire apparatus with more than just 2 seats...

Comment

Originally posted by FWDbuff View Post
                            I know in the Philly 'burbs, it is like driving in the city. NO real difference in traffic from the City Line out 25 miles, including Sout Jersey. Those companies need to take a look at their staffing and start thinking about putting a duty crew in the station. Dangerous to make a response to the station or the scene. But like others here have said, take away my lights and make me sit in the station, "I'm outta here." I came from a system in a large city (500,000 plus summer guests). We pretty much did away with POV response, and we lost members. To me, no loss. Their hearts weren't in it to start with. As the volunteer numbers dropped, the city was forced to add career firefighters. 35 years later, career agency with a dozen or certified volunteers and salvage truck "bottle techs'". EMS has remained volunteer but career staff is slowly filtering in. They have to. Another 10 years and the vols will be gone as well. Then too, they were saying this back in the 70s!!

Rural areas, will depend on volunteers for many years.

Comment

But like others here have said, take away my lights and make me sit in the station, "I'm outta here."
                              There are those who have rued the advent of home alerts, and then pagers, as members no longer had to go to the fire station to find out it was "only" a car fire...

I don't actively run (ie, take shifts) with the not-for-profit ambulance I helped form because I can't see sitting around for 8 or more hours watching TV when I could be home doing something constructive. I know, I could be training, but that gets old, too.

Rural areas, will depend on volunteers for many years.
                              True, that. At well over a half million a year to staff a single engine company 24/7, it'll be a long time before departments covering a hundred square miles on bake sales and raffles can go paid. Adding that engine company would triple my fire tax, for 200 calls a year, maybe.

Opinions my own. Standard disclaimers apply.

Everyone goes home. Safety begins with you.

Comment

Originally posted by johnsb View Post

Maybe it would help if you guys got out of the 1960's and spec'd fire apparatus with more than just 2 seats...
                                Why? We would never use the seats. It is quicker and more efficient to drive POV to the scene.

Comment

300x600 Ad Unit (In-View)

Collapse

Upper 300x250

Collapse

Taboola

Collapse

Leader

Collapse
                                Working...
                                X