Leader

Collapse

Announcement

Collapse

Firehouse.com Forum Rules & Guidelines

Forum Rules & Guidelines

Not Permitted or Tolerated:
• Advertising and/or links of commercial, for-profit websites, products, and/or services is not permitted. If you have a need to advertise on Firehouse.com please contact [email protected]
• Fighting/arguing
• Cyber-bullying
• Swearing
• Name-calling and/or personal attacks
• Spamming
• Typing in all CAPS
• “l33t speak” - Substituting characters for letters in an effort to represent a word or phrase. (example: M*****ive)
• Distribution of another person’s personal information, regardless of whether or not said information is public knowledge and whether or not an individual has permission to post said personal information
• Piracy advocation of any kind
• Racist, sexual, hate type defamatory, religious, political, or sexual commentary.
• Multiple forum accounts

Forum Posting Guidelines:

Posts must be on-topic, non-disruptive and relevant to the firefighting community. Post only in a mature and responsible way that contributes to the discussion at hand. Posting relevant information, helpful suggestions and/or constructive criticism is a great way to contribute to the community.

Post in the correct forum and have clear titles for your threads.

Please post in English or provide a translation.

There are moderators and admins who handle these forums with care, do not resort to self-help, instead please utilize the reporting option. Be mature and responsible for yourself and your posts. If you are offended by another member utilize the reporting option. All reported posts will be addressed and dealt with as deemed appropriate by Firehouse.com staff.

Firehouse.com Moderation Process:
Effective immediately, the following moderation process will take effect. User(s) whose posts are determined by Firehouse.com staff to be in violation of any of the rules above will EARN the following reprimand(s) in the moderation process:
1. An initial warning will be issued.
2. A Final Warning will be issued if a user is found to be in violation a second time.
3. A 3-day suspension will be issued if the user continues to break the forum rules.
4. A 45-day suspension will be issued if the user is found to be a habitual rule breaker.
5. Habitual rule breakers that have exhausted all of the above will receive a permanent life-time ban that will be strictly enforced. Reinstatement will not be allowed – there is no appeal process.

Subsequent accounts created in an effort to side-step the rules and moderation process are subject to automatic removal without notice. Firehouse.com reserves the right to expedite the reprimand process for any users as it is deemed necessary. Any user in the moderation process may be required to review and agree to by email the terms and conditions listed above before their account is re-instated (except for those that are banned).

Firehouse.com reserves the right to edit and/or remove any post or member, at any time, for any reason without notice. Firehouse.com also reserves the right to warn, suspend, and/or ban, any member, at any time, for any reason.

Firehouse.com values the active participation we have in our forums. Please ensure your posts are tasteful and tactful. Thank you very much for your cooperation.
See more
See less

First time VFD

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• First time VFD

I've gone and done it now. I live in a small town in Texas (redundant, I know) and applied and was voted on just a few weeks ago. I have no official training, though I have quite a bit of experience with fire and MV accidents, luckily never been involved in them (Now where's that wood I need to knock on?)

Just thought I'd say Hi first of all.

Second of all, what advice do you have for a probie? Where do we fit into the system? Our VFD appears to an outside observer to be, perhaps a tad disorganized and disconnected from the community and that is saying nothing about the guys who have been selflessly holding this thing together for years on end with no help from the city. As a probie, is this something that would be acceptable to approach with the Chief tactfully (of course volunteering my time to help remedy these things) or would you say that's overstepping my newly minted position. I am ambitious by nature and have no reservations "paying my dues" so to speak. I am in this for the long haul. My city has had a wonderful history and due to poor management is finding itself in need of someone willing to be ambitious and give freely to the community. So I will be the first, and joining the VFD is a great way to do that.

Gonna be hard for a brand new probie to "tactfully" tell the chief that his department is disorganized and needs remedying. Even if it is true, which it may not be. You should probably give it some time and just let it be known you want to contribute to improving the department.

Comment

Originally posted by captnjak View Post
      Gonna be hard for a brand new probie to "tactfully" tell the chief that his department is disorganized and needs remedying. Even if it is true, which it may not be. You should probably give it some time and just let it be known you want to contribute to improving the department.
      Fair point. I should clarify, I have no desire to say "Hey Chief, things are a bit shabby around here."
      More along the lines of seeing something I think we can improve on (mostly community outreach and communications as well as basic house keeping) and taking the initiative and asking him for permission to come up with and implement a solution or is even that too far? I would not dream of proposing solutions or identifying issues with the actual fire fighting portion of the job when I've yet to learn it first.

Comment

Originally posted by fire5555
        Maybe take babie steps

Try something small simple and see how it is received

If you can find someone to trust in a neighboring vfd suggest get some advice/ mentor from them.

Do you mind saying where in Tx you are
        just region north south east west??
        I will definitely start small and see how it?s received. I know they want to do some stuff around the house but they haven?t really had someone to take the initiative I guess. Simple things even, our sign out front is wood and has needed replacement for years. Heck, I thought the VFD had been disbanded for a while there.

I unfortunately don?t know anyone current in any of the surrounding VFD?s. My FIL was on the VFD for years and Chief for a number of those. I am not someone who expects that to work in my favor. We are two different people and I wouldn?t want to put his rep up as collateral, so to speak.

Sure, no worries. South Texas.

Comment

I think these are good suggestions. Find something non-threatening that you can address, then see what the reaction is.

Stick with the department. It sounds like they need some dedicated people, but it will take years to tip the balance toward more progressive people. I've seen it. It takes time, but it does happen.
          “I am more than just a serious basketball fan. I am a life-long addict. I was addicted from birth, in fact, because I was born in Kentucky.”
          ― Hunter S. Thompson

Comment

Originally posted by EastKyFF View Post
            I think these are good suggestions. Find something non-threatening that you can address, then see what the reaction is.

Stick with the department. It sounds like they need some dedicated people, but it will take years to tip the balance toward more progressive people. I've seen it. It takes time, but it does happen.
            I intend on it. I want to be careful not to say the guys aren't dedicated, as being a VFF itself requires dedication. However, things change quickly now and I believe that the community that we serve are charitable and supportive, but we have to reach out and connect with them in their daily lives. The station used to hold community events, cook-offs, kids events, etc...
            That all stopped about 10 years ago. Citizens got complacent and disengaged.

Comment

Originally posted by fire5555
              The bad thing about Texas VFD, is very little funding,

So that is another thing you and the dept are bumping up against.
              Good point and almost positive this is contributing factor.
              I do intend on getting involved with the city as well, since from my experience, all deficiencies can be traced back to leadership.
              I appreciate everyones responses and I did not intend for this thread to go to this depth. Thanks for your patience.

Comment

Start with cleaning, mowing, trimming, etc. When you prove that you are there to make a positive difference with the jobs that are not very highly sought after, your input on other things may become considered rather than brushed off. Having things around the station looking well kept will go a long way in showing the community you are there. You can't expect a community to care about an organization if the organization doesn't care about itself.

As far as communications go, that is not your place to be. You don't have the training to speak intelligently on what is happening. I understand that is a shortcoming that is very apparent to an outsider, but communication from someone who does not know how to properly explain what happened and why things were done will make things worse, not better.

Start with the little things and get training. Then you can start to address issues on an increasing level. But this will be a multi year task. Trying to tackle too much too soon will most likely end up badly for you, and the department.

Comment

Originally posted by HuntPA View Post
                  Start with cleaning, mowing, trimming, etc. When you prove that you are there to make a positive difference with the jobs that are not very highly sought after, your input on other things may become considered rather than brushed off. Having things around the station looking well kept will go a long way in showing the community you are there. You can't expect a community to care about an organization if the organization doesn't care about itself.

As far as communications go, that is not your place to be. You don't have the training to speak intelligently on what is happening. I understand that is a shortcoming that is very apparent to an outsider, but communication from someone who does not know how to properly explain what happened and why things were done will make things worse, not better.

Start with the little things and get training. Then you can start to address issues on an increasing level. But this will be a multi year task. Trying to tackle too much too soon will most likely end up badly for you, and the department.
                  Much appreciated. I am hoping to talk to the Chief about our sign out front and get approval to make a new one and there is always yard work to be done. (I live close enough to walk my mower there.) Good points. Your statement about caring for ourselves is spot on.

As far as comms go, I was referring more to community outreach rather than situation reports. Those things are best left to Chief. Though, perhaps so is outreach.

Duly noted.

Comment

Originally posted by OutOfOffice View Post
                    I've gone and done it now. I live in a small town in Texas (redundant, I know) and applied and was voted on just a few weeks ago. I have no official training, though I have quite a bit of experience with fire and MV accidents, luckily never been involved in them (Now where's that wood I need to knock on?)

Just thought I'd say Hi first of all.

Second of all, what advice do you have for a probie? Where do we fit into the system? Our VFD appears to an outside observer to be, perhaps a tad disorganized and disconnected from the community and that is saying nothing about the guys who have been selflessly holding this thing together for years on end with no help from the city. As a probie, is this something that would be acceptable to approach with the Chief tactfully (of course volunteering my time to help remedy these things) or would you say that's overstepping my newly minted position. I am ambitious by nature and have no reservations "paying my dues" so to speak. I am in this for the long haul. My city has had a wonderful history and due to poor management is finding itself in need of someone willing to be ambitious and give freely to the community. So I will be the first, and joining the VFD is a great way to do that.
                    I'd actually start with some LEGITIMATE training. How do you have "experience" with NO certifications????? This isn't a hobby.

Comment

Originally posted by johnsb View Post

I'd actually start with some LEGITIMATE training. How do you have "experience" with NO certifications????? This isn't a hobby.
                      Fire School is being scheduled as we speak, weekly training with other stations is on-going. I am unsure how you came to the conclusion that I thought this was a hobby. Whittling is a hobby. These are peoples lives and my focus to train is with keeping this in mind. There is no delusion here.
                      Experience in so far as being the reporting citizen first on scene. Experience in so far as dragging an unconscious person from a pond after being ejected or experience of what its like to enter a smoke filled house at night to get someone out. I hope this answers your question.

Comment

300x600 Ad Unit (In-View)

Collapse

Upper 300x250

Collapse

Taboola

Collapse

Leader

Collapse
                      Working...
                      X