Leader

Collapse

Announcement

Collapse

Firehouse.com Forum Rules & Guidelines

Forum Rules & Guidelines

Not Permitted or Tolerated:
• Advertising and/or links of commercial, for-profit websites, products, and/or services is not permitted. If you have a need to advertise on Firehouse.com please contact [email protected]
• Fighting/arguing
• Cyber-bullying
• Swearing
• Name-calling and/or personal attacks
• Spamming
• Typing in all CAPS
• “l33t speak” - Substituting characters for letters in an effort to represent a word or phrase. (example: M*****ive)
• Distribution of another person’s personal information, regardless of whether or not said information is public knowledge and whether or not an individual has permission to post said personal information
• Piracy advocation of any kind
• Racist, sexual, hate type defamatory, religious, political, or sexual commentary.
• Multiple forum accounts

Forum Posting Guidelines:

Posts must be on-topic, non-disruptive and relevant to the firefighting community. Post only in a mature and responsible way that contributes to the discussion at hand. Posting relevant information, helpful suggestions and/or constructive criticism is a great way to contribute to the community.

Post in the correct forum and have clear titles for your threads.

Please post in English or provide a translation.

There are moderators and admins who handle these forums with care, do not resort to self-help, instead please utilize the reporting option. Be mature and responsible for yourself and your posts. If you are offended by another member utilize the reporting option. All reported posts will be addressed and dealt with as deemed appropriate by Firehouse.com staff.

Firehouse.com Moderation Process:
Effective immediately, the following moderation process will take effect. User(s) whose posts are determined by Firehouse.com staff to be in violation of any of the rules above will EARN the following reprimand(s) in the moderation process:
1. An initial warning will be issued.
2. A Final Warning will be issued if a user is found to be in violation a second time.
3. A 3-day suspension will be issued if the user continues to break the forum rules.
4. A 45-day suspension will be issued if the user is found to be a habitual rule breaker.
5. Habitual rule breakers that have exhausted all of the above will receive a permanent life-time ban that will be strictly enforced. Reinstatement will not be allowed – there is no appeal process.

Subsequent accounts created in an effort to side-step the rules and moderation process are subject to automatic removal without notice. Firehouse.com reserves the right to expedite the reprimand process for any users as it is deemed necessary. Any user in the moderation process may be required to review and agree to by email the terms and conditions listed above before their account is re-instated (except for those that are banned).

Firehouse.com reserves the right to edit and/or remove any post or member, at any time, for any reason without notice. Firehouse.com also reserves the right to warn, suspend, and/or ban, any member, at any time, for any reason.

Firehouse.com values the active participation we have in our forums. Please ensure your posts are tasteful and tactful. Thank you very much for your cooperation.
See more
See less

Volunteer VS Career

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Volunteer VS Career

Hello!

I am doing a research and I would like to know, in your opinion what might be some issues that normally arise between volunteer and career firefighter (if any).

Thank you

Probably the single biggest issue is the level of training of the volunteers, particularly if they are not a contingent of the career staffed department (ie, combination departments). In some areas volunteer departments are every bit the equal of their paid counterparts and are thus highly regarded. They may be part of the regular run cards for the career departments. In other areas, not so much (and sometimes hardly at all).

In some career departments, individuals who volunteer with their local fire department are frowned upon, in others the practice is accepted.

Political issues and bad blood are another animal altogether.
    Opinions my own. Standard disclaimers apply.

Everyone goes home. Safety begins with you.

Comment

Originally posted by fire5555
      on the same department?

or

Adjoining cities

Or ?????/
      Same department

Comment

Originally posted by tree68 View Post
        individuals who volunteer with their local fire department are frowned upon
        iPolitical issues and bad blood are another animal altogether.
        Why would this happen? What's wrong with volunteering?
        What is the political issue?

Comment

Originally posted by arrobarriba View Post
          Why would this happen? What's wrong with volunteering?
          IAFF officially takes a dim view of their members also being volunteers. Some places take that more seriously than others.

I know of one career department where volunteers don't show said affiliation on their personal vehicles (via placards, decals, or emergency lights).

And another that doesn't care one way or the other.

What is the political issue?
          Some years ago, Podunk showed up at our fire and made us look bad. We hate them. We'll only call them if absolutely necessary, and then they get the s**t jobs. Yes, that still goes on.

Or witness the recent story about a department that refused to respond mutual aid because somehow they weren't being paid to do so any more. I still haven't figured that one out.

Or subscription departments. Nobody has figured that one out.

Comment

Thank you to both for your responses!

Comment

one out.

Or subscription departments. Nobody has figured that one out.
              Seriously, what's to figure out? The local FD is funded by subscriptions collected from people that want fire protection. If you pay your subscription you get full service, if you don't the FD, in most cases, will respond, complete rescues and then protect subscription paying exposures, but nit fight your fire.

If they fought the fire with the intent of collecting the fee afterwards how do they keep the doors open and the trucks fueled? Pretty soon no one pays unless they need the FD and the fire department closes because of insufficient funding. You don't keep getting cable or internet if you don't pay. Same with your lights and heat. So why would you expect, under the subscription system to get fire protection if you don't pay?

If the citizens want the subscription system gone then petition the politicians to add it to the tax roles.
              Crazy, but that's how it goes
              Millions of people living as foes
              Maybe it's not too late
              To learn how to love, and forget how to hate

Comment

Now to answer the original poster's question. In my mind the biggest issue is in some career firefighter's minds is some sort of automatic superiority because it is their career and volunteers are just "Hobbyists." In some volunteer firefighter's minds it is the sanctimonious attitude that they are better because they do it for free, or as a side job, so they are somehow care more. There are turds and trouble makers on both sides of the aisle, just as there are rock stars and great people on both sides of the aisle. It is human nature and it really is as simple as that.

Having been a career firefighter, and a volunteer(paid on call), at the same time, here is my opinion. Pay or lack of pay does not make a quality firefighter. A quality firefighter is one that is dedicated to learning the craft of firefighting and serving the community they are a firefighter in.
                Maybe it's not too late

Comment

Originally posted by FyredUp View Post
                  Seriously, what's to figure out?
                  Many places that have tried to institute a tax-based support system for fire protection have seen the effort fail, from what I've read in the past.

What's to figure out is why people would not be willing to pay an amount that would probably be less than the subscription fee to guarantee universal fire coverage, vs "Did I pay the subscription fee this year?"

Subscription supported fire departments are outliers - I'd opine that they are a tiny percentage of the total.

I understand how they work. What many posters on threads concerning the most recent (whenever it was) house that burned because the homeowner hadn't mailed the fee yet can't figure out is why, in this day and age, such a system continues to exist.

Comment

I understand how they work. What many posters on threads concerning the most recent (whenever it was) house that burned because the homeowner hadn't mailed the fee yet can't figure out is why, in this day and age, such a system continues to exist.
                    They exist because people are cheap and they will risk not needing the FD over paying a yearly subscription fee. They gamble their lives and their property over the cost of the fee and when they lose they blame the system instead of their own stupidity.
                    Maybe it's not too late

Comment

Originally posted by FyredUp View Post

They exist because people are cheap and they will risk not needing the FD over paying a yearly subscription fee. They gamble their lives and their property over the cost of the fee and when they lose they blame the system instead of their own stupidity.
                      Exactly. And the rest of us just shake our heads...

Comment

Most subscription departments now a days will respond to any call, do everything they can, often a great job, and bill the snot out of non subscribers after the call. Insurance companies have been successfully sued when they fail to pay. Some insurance companies require proof of a subscription for coverage.

Comment

And depending on where you are, subscription departments are still out there in large numbers

Comment

Originally posted by LVFD301 View Post
                            Most subscription departments now a days will respond to any call, do everything they can, often a great job, and bill the snot out of non subscribers after the call. Insurance companies have been successfully sued when they fail to pay. Some insurance companies require proof of a subscription for coverage.
                            On my homeowners insurance policy, it requires me to subscribe to any subscription fire protection service that is available to me. Check your policy, as it may be in it, too.

Comment

Originally posted by arrobarriba View Post
                              I am doing a research and I would like to know, in your opinion what might be some issues that normally arise between volunteer and career firefighter (if any).
                              It really depends on the area. Some are more adversarial the others. I know plenty of City FFs that volunteer in their home towns that don't have, and never will have career firefighters. and I know some career FFs who moved to volunteer covered areas, and will bash said volunteer department every step they can, and never lift a finger to help.

the IAFF considered volunteers to be the enemy, because they are taking away union jobs.... which is a lie, because those jobs don't exist. So they go out of their way to make it difficult for their members to be volunteers on their day off. many two hatters have no problem ignoring that rule.

In general, career FFs complain about volunteer firefighters when it comes to background checks, training, qualifications, and response times. volunteer firefighters complain about career firefighters when it comes to cost, preference to call other career departments when volunteer departments are closes, attitude.and other stupid stuff.

combination departments can be an entirely different set of headaches.

I'm a firm believer that whether you are paid or volunteer, you should be held to the same training standards. If response times are a concern, than the AHJ has the ability to chose not to follow them (and deal with any consequences). There are volunteer departments that allow people to be interior firefighters without firefighter I certification.... this is scary. Almost as scary as the career department that will fight a structure fire with only 2 engines, with 2 to 3 guys on each truck, and won't call mutual aid because they are volunteers. Everything is ok until someone dies, and then the investigation lists all the issues that everyone knew existed, but refused to address.

If my basic HazMat training has taught me nothing else, it's that if you see a glowing green monkey running away from something, follow that monkey!

FF/EMT/DBP

Comment

300x600 Ad Unit (In-View)

Collapse

Upper 300x250

Collapse

Taboola

Collapse

Leader

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X