Announcement

Collapse

Firehouse.com Forum Rules & Guidelines

Forum Rules & Guidelines

Not Permitted or Tolerated:
• Advertising and/or links of commercial, for-profit websites, products, and/or services is not permitted. If you have a need to advertise on Firehouse.com please contact sales@firehouse.com
• Fighting/arguing
• Cyber-bullying
• Swearing
• Name-calling and/or personal attacks
• Spamming
• Typing in all CAPS
• “l33t speak” - Substituting characters for letters in an effort to represent a word or phrase. (example: M*****ive)
• Distribution of another person’s personal information, regardless of whether or not said information is public knowledge and whether or not an individual has permission to post said personal information
• Piracy advocation of any kind
• Racist, sexual, hate type defamatory, religious, political, or sexual commentary.
• Multiple forum accounts

Forum Posting Guidelines:

Posts must be on-topic, non-disruptive and relevant to the firefighting community. Post only in a mature and responsible way that contributes to the discussion at hand. Posting relevant information, helpful suggestions and/or constructive criticism is a great way to contribute to the community.

Post in the correct forum and have clear titles for your threads.

Please post in English or provide a translation.

There are moderators and admins who handle these forums with care, do not resort to self-help, instead please utilize the reporting option. Be mature and responsible for yourself and your posts. If you are offended by another member utilize the reporting option. All reported posts will be addressed and dealt with as deemed appropriate by Firehouse.com staff.

Firehouse.com Moderation Process:
Effective immediately, the following moderation process will take effect. User(s) whose posts are determined by Firehouse.com staff to be in violation of any of the rules above will EARN the following reprimand(s) in the moderation process:
1. An initial warning will be issued.
2. A Final Warning will be issued if a user is found to be in violation a second time.
3. A 3-day suspension will be issued if the user continues to break the forum rules.
4. A 45-day suspension will be issued if the user is found to be a habitual rule breaker.
5. Habitual rule breakers that have exhausted all of the above will receive a permanent life-time ban that will be strictly enforced. Reinstatement will not be allowed – there is no appeal process.

Subsequent accounts created in an effort to side-step the rules and moderation process are subject to automatic removal without notice. Firehouse.com reserves the right to expedite the reprimand process for any users as it is deemed necessary. Any user in the moderation process may be required to review and agree to by email the terms and conditions listed above before their account is re-instated (except for those that are banned).

Firehouse.com reserves the right to edit and/or remove any post or member, at any time, for any reason without notice. Firehouse.com also reserves the right to warn, suspend, and/or ban, any member, at any time, for any reason.

Firehouse.com values the active participation we have in our forums. Please ensure your posts are tasteful and tactful. Thank you very much for your cooperation.
See more
See less

Volunteering during college

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Volunteering during college

I'm a volunteer firefighter in my hometown in New Mexico, but I'm very new to the game. I joined as a senior in high school at the urging of a buddy, and I'm now enrolled as a freshman in college. The thing is, I'm going to college in Washington, so I'm not exactly active in my department. I'm still going to be serving with them during the summer and winter holidays, but in the meantime, I want to stay active. I've found several volunteer departments nearby, but I wanted to see if anyone might have advice before going forward. Has anyone had experience volunteering in college? What challenges did you face as a result? Did you respond to station, sit a shift on the weekends, or serve as a live-in? How was the experience. Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

Have not been in your shoes before.

What is you degree in???

What is your career goal??

I would suggest concentrate on school.

Comment

fire5555, I'm majoring in political science and/or international relations, and my career goal is criminal investigation. For me, volunteering in college wouldn't help me in terms of a career. But I still love what I do as a firefighter, and it would be awesome if I could keep it up. I just need to determine how realistic this is, because at the end of the day, I've gotta put my education first.

Comment

You might get through your first college year, than reevaluate if you still want to do it.

No matter what you are paying for college, repeating a class is not fun.

And, you do want to get out of college as soon as possible.

Comment

In the area where the college is at, check to see if any FD's have live-in programs. You may be able to be a live-in and reside in a fire station. This can help you serve as a firefighter and possibly receive free housing. That will help make college more affordable, too.

If you become a resident live-in, you will have to have good time management skills. Serving as a live-in will probably entail responding to calls, training and cleaning duties. If you will need to manage your time to attend classes, study, etc.

Another issue would be fire/EMS certifications. If you have any certifications in Fire and/or EMS, check for reciprocity. If you could attend training (FFI, II, EMT, etc.) while a live-in, that could be a bonus, too. See if the training is nationally recognized.

I was a live-in for the first four years of college on two different departments. Some of the duties were responding to calls, dispatching and cleaning. It saved me a fortune in housing (dormitory, apartment, etc.) costs in college. The main challenge for me was time management. I purposely stayed in the college library after classes for studying. I knew once I walked into the fire hall, I would be busy with FD matters. Make sure studying is your main goal.

FD's are shorthanded nearly everywhere. Check out the FD's in the college town and surrounding areas. There maybe opportunities.

Comment

FIRE117 fire5555 Thank y'all for the advice, especially the experience-based advice. I'll definitely be waiting at least a semester to get into the hang of things. As far as I know, some departments in the area have live in programs, but I'll have to figure out if it's a viable option for me (college housing rules, working, etc.) I'll definitely need to get time management down before I do anything else.

Comment

Do you have pro-board FF1 ? Or even EMT ?

With 'washington' I assume you mean DC (if you mean the state stop reading now). There are very active VFDs in Prince Georges County. Some of them require high hour committments, some of the smaller ones are more flexible with 'out of state's memberships' and work with whatever you can give them. As you don't plan to make this a career, I would NOT do the live-in. Too much of a distraction. Go for the drills, sign up for a couple of duty shifts and experience volunteer firefighting in a urban environment.
              As a member in a MD company, you can do lots of training at MFRI for free. Get your rescue tech stuff (site ops, top tech, vehicle extrication, swiftwater), FF2 or hazmat while you can do so for free. If you go back to NM your community will value your skills and certs.

Just two things:
              - PG has volunteer companies, career companies and 'volunteer companies with career staff provided by the county'. It's a big muddle and in parts of the system there is strife and rivalry between career and volunteer. This has gone to the level of knock down drag out fistfights on the fireground, lawsuits back and forth, criminal prosecutions, union grievances you name it. Just stay out of that conflict alltogether. It doesn't make you a better firefighter. Don't engage, don't comment, 'smile and wave....'
              - There are some huuge egos at some of the busy 'all volunteer' stations as well as some inter-company rivalries. You will encounter the occasional ****-talkers and YouTube experts. Again, don't insert yourself in that nonsense. Seek out the quiet professionals and learn from them.

​​​​​

Comment

Too_Old I have neither, unfortunately. The only training I have is my in-house training (plus First Aid/CPR). When I say Washington, I mean Washington state. Regardless, you have some valuable advice to give, so thank you for that. I'm definitely leaning towards sitting weekend shifts (if possible), but we'll see what happens.

Comment

Originally posted by ALar13 View Post
                  Too_Old I have neither, unfortunately. The only training I have is my in-house training (plus First Aid/CPR). When I say Washington, I mean Washington state. Regardless, you have some valuable advice to give, so thank you for that. I'm definitely leaning towards sitting weekend shifts (if possible), but we'll see what happens.
                  Lol, so much for me assuming that anyone studying political science would surely do so in DC ;-)

Most of what I said would apply anywhere (except that I have no information about Washington state firefighter egos). Just stay out of the politics wherever you go.

I am looking into Washington state for retirement and started to root around a bit on what it would take to keep volunteering in WA. I didn't go beyond what the departments with a web presence put there about the process. The entry requirements in WA seem pretty steep (and I'll gladly be corrected if my information is wrong). To become certified you have to go to a 260hr academy at the state fire school. This seems to include things like hazmat-ops and EMR that are separate courses in other jurisdictions. For someone who wants to volunteer along with a full time course of study, this would seem an awfully large committment just to get started.
                  When you get to WA, contact the fire chiefs or recruitment officers at departments that could work for you and get the correct information. Tell them who you are, what you have done so far and ask whether they could make use of you and what it takes to get started. You may find that the process 'on the ground' is less involved than it seems on paper.

Comment

Too_Old Way too humid for my liking lol. I like it up here in Washington. Temperate climate, wide open plains and forests, good hunting, and family in the area. Sounds like a good deal to me.

You're right in saying that that's a steep commitment. I have to work in the summers; I can't afford to go to an academy, even though I'd definitely like to. But, we'll see. I've been trying to get ahold of a few districts in the area, so once I talk to someone, like you said, I'll know for sure what to expect.

Comment

300x600 Ad Unit (In-View)

Collapse

300x600 Forums Only

Collapse

Taboola

Collapse

Upper 300x250

Collapse

Lower 970x90

Collapse

Lower 728x90