Announcement

Collapse

Firehouse.com Forum Rules & Guidelines

Forum Rules & Guidelines

Not Permitted or Tolerated:
• Advertising and/or links of commercial, for-profit websites, products, and/or services is not permitted. If you have a need to advertise on Firehouse.com please contact sales@firehouse.com
• Fighting/arguing
• Cyber-bullying
• Swearing
• Name-calling and/or personal attacks
• Spamming
• Typing in all CAPS
• “l33t speak” - Substituting characters for letters in an effort to represent a word or phrase. (example: M*****ive)
• Distribution of another person’s personal information, regardless of whether or not said information is public knowledge and whether or not an individual has permission to post said personal information
• Piracy advocation of any kind
• Racist, sexual, hate type defamatory, religious, political, or sexual commentary.
• Multiple forum accounts

Forum Posting Guidelines:

Posts must be on-topic, non-disruptive and relevant to the firefighting community. Post only in a mature and responsible way that contributes to the discussion at hand. Posting relevant information, helpful suggestions and/or constructive criticism is a great way to contribute to the community.

Post in the correct forum and have clear titles for your threads.

Please post in English or provide a translation.

There are moderators and admins who handle these forums with care, do not resort to self-help, instead please utilize the reporting option. Be mature and responsible for yourself and your posts. If you are offended by another member utilize the reporting option. All reported posts will be addressed and dealt with as deemed appropriate by Firehouse.com staff.

Firehouse.com Moderation Process:
Effective immediately, the following moderation process will take effect. User(s) whose posts are determined by Firehouse.com staff to be in violation of any of the rules above will EARN the following reprimand(s) in the moderation process:
1. An initial warning will be issued.
2. A Final Warning will be issued if a user is found to be in violation a second time.
3. A 3-day suspension will be issued if the user continues to break the forum rules.
4. A 45-day suspension will be issued if the user is found to be a habitual rule breaker.
5. Habitual rule breakers that have exhausted all of the above will receive a permanent life-time ban that will be strictly enforced. Reinstatement will not be allowed – there is no appeal process.

Subsequent accounts created in an effort to side-step the rules and moderation process are subject to automatic removal without notice. Firehouse.com reserves the right to expedite the reprimand process for any users as it is deemed necessary. Any user in the moderation process may be required to review and agree to by email the terms and conditions listed above before their account is re-instated (except for those that are banned).

Firehouse.com reserves the right to edit and/or remove any post or member, at any time, for any reason without notice. Firehouse.com also reserves the right to warn, suspend, and/or ban, any member, at any time, for any reason.

Firehouse.com values the active participation we have in our forums. Please ensure your posts are tasteful and tactful. Thank you very much for your cooperation.
See more
See less

Rank/Duties for very young or very new vollys

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Rank/Duties for very young or very new vollys

Morning folks & happy holidays,

Our chief and line officers were thinking of ideas the other night to better engage our very young or newest members and give them some (minor) responsibilities AND to reward members with a little authority and prepare them for possible future leadership positions. One of the ideas that surfaced was to create an appointed "Station Lieutenant" position. The qualifications would be minimal (complete FF1 OR Basic Exterior Firefighting Operations OR attend 50% of the drills from the previous year). The responsibilities would be to help keep the engine bay tidy, ensure our log books (calls, training, repairs, apparatus usage, etc) have enough blank pages in them, etc. These positions would have no authority on the fire ground; they?d basically have authority just within the station to ensure any risks are addressed, items are stored properly, etc.

Just wondering if anyone has done something similar and what the result was - I'd like to hear of any lessons learned (good or bad).

Thanks and Merry Christmas.

~Skojo

you don't have to have a title to step up to the plate and take some initiative, and in my opinion creating an officer position/title without any real authority is watering down the true officer positions.
    ?

Comment

I agree that calling them a Lt. may be a little bit much, but certainly the concept is a good one.

At my VFD we have members assigned to take care of the stations and apparatus. We call them Station Managers.
      Train to fight the fires you fight.

Comment

How about assigning them a piece of apparatus? Make them responsible for it.

Comment

I like the idea of assigning them to the apparatus.

Train to fight the fires you fight.

Comment

Really want to get fun with it? Do like the Air Force does, on the Aircraft they list the Crew Chief, and the assistant on the aircraft. Make up a title, like Apparatus Chief, and Assistant. Appoint two people to each piece of apparatus, and put a label on the front door, or near there, with their name and title. They will OWN that piece of equipment.

Comment

Great ideas about assigning responsibility for upkeep/logs on a piece of apparatus - thanks folks. Merry Christmas

Comment

So what do your officers do? Just stand around waiting for the next call to the senior residence facility, where they put heat detector over the stove.
                Stephen J Bourassa
                Latham FD (NY)
                member since 1969
                challenge competitor since 1993

Comment

I'm a bit late, but what exactly is "very young" and "very new"??? Are we talking minors, or newbies with no certifications???

Comment

Wanted to provide an update as it's been almost a year since we implemented this idea - thanks LAFE and LVFD for your thoughts. The newest vollys (some are minors, some have no certifications, some have minimal training but are not interior qualified) enjoy the responsibility. Each is assigned a piece of apparatus and are responsible for making sure it has enough log sheets, that the log sheets are filled out after drills/runs, that there is no trash left in the apparatus and that the equipment is back in service after a run. Additionally, they alternate coming down on Saturdays when our County 911 center does a siren/radio test. They help keep the decon/laundry room and SCBA fill room in order, do general sweeps of the apparatus bay and help coordinate station maintenance projects. All in all, I'm happy we did it and would suggest others try it. Our newest members are always looking for something to do when they're at the station - this helps us our and helps them out. Win win. Happy 2018!

Comment

that's great to hear. the one thing i would caution you on is having the senior members take advantage of them. meaning, they let the newbies check the trucks while they sit on the couch and watch TV. or they become lazy and leave trash in the apparatus, thinking that someone else will clean up after them. or they will think that keeping the SCBA fill room clean and orderly is beneath them.

I'm not saying it would happen at your department, but I have seen it happen at other departments, especially if leadership allows it.
                      If my basic HazMat training has taught me nothing else, it's that if you see a glowing green monkey running away from something, follow that monkey!

FF/EMT/DBP

Comment

300x600 Ad Unit (In-View)

Collapse

300x600 Forums Only

Collapse

Taboola

Collapse

Upper 300x250

Collapse

Lower 970x90

Collapse