X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• hwoods
    replied
    Uh Huh............

As I've pointed out many times, the Only difference between a Fire/Rescue operation and a Highway Maintenence operation is the number of EMT's on site...... Otherwise we are the same, Bunch of Trucks, Lots of flashing lights, People working in the roadway, Idiots tring to hit us.........

Leave a comment:

• ChiefKN
    replied
    Originally posted by hwoods View Post
    Suction Cups don't have the "Withstand all Hazards" holding power of Magnets. They aren't bad for small lightweight stuff on the INside of a vehicle, but I wouldn't trust them OUTside........

Note to the "Wacker Bashers"..... I'm also looking for something to hold a Mini Bar on top of my (Work) Pickup. Magnets that are on the Bar are too good, and the light is hard to get on and off....... Being in the Asphalt Construction business, I think my need for a YELLOW lightbar is kinds obvious......
    Paving wacker....

Leave a comment:

• tree68
    replied
    Originally posted by hwoods View Post
    Being in the Asphalt Construction business, I think my need for a YELLOW lightbar is kinds obvious......
    Wacker....

I've seen some pretty extensive (and expensive) lighting systems on construction/utility vehicles. Do they really need all those lights?

Leave a comment:

• hwoods
    replied
    Nope.........

Suction Cups don't have the "Withstand all Hazards" holding power of Magnets. They aren't bad for small lightweight stuff on the INside of a vehicle, but I wouldn't trust them OUTside........

Note to the "Wacker Bashers"..... I'm also looking for something to hold a Mini Bar on top of my (Work) Pickup. Magnets that are on the Bar are too good, and the light is hard to get on and off....... Being in the Asphalt Construction business, I think my need for a YELLOW lightbar is kinds obvious......

Leave a comment:

• 81haynes
    replied
    I am currently running into the same problem. I was wonderring about getting suction cups to replace the magnets but I am having trouble finding the right kind. Does anyone have any ideas of where to look?

Leave a comment:

• Miller337
    replied
    I was issued a light when I became an officer in my volly dept. I have had it behind the back seat in two pickups now. Think I used once on a mutual aid call other than that it has never scratched the paint once.

Leave a comment:

• hwoods
    replied
    Yep........

Originally posted by BrianB35 View Post
    I have a roll up toneau cover so I don't know if the back rack would fit. I thought about getting the gutter mounting brackets for a full size bar and then design a bridging part and then mounting the mini to that bridging part.

It works....... I have operated vehicles with Racks and Bed Covers, the Cover will work. We had Whelen Edge Bars mounted on the Racks, and they worked out OK, plenty of Light, no problems.......

Leave a comment:

• FWDbuff
    replied
    Originally posted by dmleblanc View Post
    Does your department require you to have a lightbar on your vehicle? Because my suggestion would be just do away with the thing. Do you really need it? If a department wants volunteers they should not require them to damage their vehicles to participate.
    If they want/require you to have them, they should provide the blue lights, as well as the cost of professional installation. That goes for radios as well.

Leave a comment:

• TonedOut1985
    replied
    All of my lights are internal window mounts, but I do have a magmount antenna for my mobile radio, and before I got this new antenna, my old magmount had a problem of scratching up the trunk on my car. So for starters, check the base, make sure the covering isn't peeling off. The slick paper is a lot less rough on the paint then the metal-on-metal you get from the magnet moving around ever so slightly due to wind, etc.

Also every now and then lift it up and wipe off any water accumulation you may have under there, that is a Very Bad Thing (tm)

Leave a comment:

• dmleblanc
    replied
    Does your department require you to have a lightbar on your vehicle? Because my suggestion would be just do away with the thing. Do you really need it? If a department wants volunteers they should not require them to damage their vehicles to participate.

Leave a comment:

• Rice09
    replied
    What's happening, is the light shifting and moving around? What I did on my car is put a couple pieces of 3mm plastic inbetween to prevent scratches. I also take it off when I clean it to make certain I clean up any water etc from building up under the magnet. You should just have to keep on it. Other than that it's really not a big deal if you mount in other ways like drilling a couple holes.

Leave a comment:

• firefightinirish217
    replied
    Why don't you sell it and get a dashlight that has the suction cups so you can mount it high or low?

Leave a comment:

• BrianB35
    replied
    I have a roll up toneau cover so I don't know if the back rack would fit. I thought about getting the gutter mounting brackets for a full size bar and then design a bridging part and then mounting the mini to that bridging part.

Leave a comment:

• firefightinirish217
    replied
    This warning is directly from a Whelen PDF on mini lightbars:

WARNING: The use of magnetic or vacuum/suction warning
    lights on the outside of a moving vehicle is not recommended
    and is at the sole risk of the user.

Leave a comment:

• rellik74
    replied
    Thats a headach rack $150 and up

Leave a comment: