X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Rice09
    replied
    Originally posted by nlfireguy View Post
    Their is a high probability of both exhisting at once, which is why I am lookig to make them so totally seperate that those on the fireground will not get them confused.
    I like the two short blast then followed by a long one.
    I need to write SOP's on both these things which is my reasoning for asking for input.
    I see your point. Though I'm not sure how you be able to differentiate the two if you were a crew on the inside fighting a fire and it's noisy. I still believe the air horn should be evac and radio contact/communication for a Mayday. The reason I was thinking that is you want the Officers making the command to a RIT etc, not all the firefighters inside and outside at a scene, you know what I mean? You could have 20 guys confused.
    I don't know, I was just giving my point of view. let me know what you decise, this is an important topic.

Leave a comment:

• nlfireguy
    replied
    Originally posted by Rice09 View Post
    A "Mayday" for us is anyone on a radio indicating a MAYDAY, A Pass alarm going off, a firefighter unaccounted for or a visual of a firefighter in trouble, like in a window etc.

An "Evac" is two shorter blasts followed by a long blast from all our apparatus on scene. When our an Officer determines the interior is unfit.

I don't know that the two are related, but I could be wrong. I guess it is possible for the two to co-exist, though remote.

Their is a high probability of both exhisting at once, which is why I am lookig to make them so totally seperate that those on the fireground will not get them confused.
    I like the two short blast then followed by a long one.
    I need to write SOP's on both these things which is my reasoning for asking for input.

Leave a comment:

• nlfireguy
    replied
    Originally posted by LaFireEducator View Post
    This may be nitpicking, but you seem to be lumping an evacuation and a mayday together.

The two are quite seperate.

An evacuation is sounded when the IC determines that the fire building needs to be .. evucated for a number of reasons including fire conditions, collapse lor a water supply failure.

A mayday is when a firefighter, or a crew of firefighters, are in distress and requires assistance.

Each requires a seperate departmental policy and seperate SOPs as they are two very different situations.

We have a policy for both. Let me know which one you are interested in.
    Not lumping them together. Thats why I asked it in two seperate questions. I needed input of BOTH of them. Mayday? Evacuate? I am composing a complete set of SOP's so am looking for anything on these two areas you may have available. Thanks for the input.
    Last edited by nlfireguy; 03-25-2011, 03:27 PM.

Leave a comment:

• Rice09
    replied
    A "Mayday" for us is anyone on a radio indicating a MAYDAY, A Pass alarm going off, a firefighter unaccounted for or a visual of a firefighter in trouble, like in a window etc.

An "Evac" is two shorter blasts followed by a long blast from all our apparatus on scene. When our an Officer determines the interior is unfit.

I don't know that the two are related, but I could be wrong. I guess it is possible for the two to co-exist, though remote.

Leave a comment:

• LaFireEducator
    replied
    As a rule what is the general thoughts concerning an evacuation order? Airhorn songle long blast, three short blast, key two radios close together for feedback??? What seems to work best for YOU???

Mayday rules, policy. If anyone has any please forward to [email protected] or post a link to them please.
    This may be nitpicking, but you seem to be lumping an evacuation and a mayday together.

The two are quite seperate.

An evacuation is sounded when the IC determines that the fire building needs to be .. evucated for a number of reasons including fire conditions, collapse lor a water supply failure.

A mayday is when a firefighter, or a crew of firefighters, are in distress and requires assistance.

Each requires a seperate departmental policy and seperate SOPs as they are two very different situations.

We have a policy for both. Let me know which one you are interested in.
    Last edited by LaFireEducator; 03-25-2011, 12:44 PM.

Leave a comment:

• nlfireguy
    replied
    Originally posted by EGregory View Post
    That sounds like a terrible idea to me. Yes it's loud and annoying but it can and does happen at times other then when you intend it to. Whatever signal you choose to evacuate, in my opinion, it has to be something that will ONLY be heard when you want people to evacuate. If not people will start to pause when they hear it and wait to confirm what they're hearing instead of heading for the door post haste.

Think of it like PASS devices. How many firefighters have gotten to the point that they don't react when they hear a PASS device going off because they've heard it too many times when it meant nothing. (Guys taking a break without turning it off or setting a pack down etc)
    The radio things was from a SOP for a department I found on line . Did not feel that was real affective, just tossing out what I had picked up on already.
    The pass example is spot on. Like a car alarm in a parking lot or wherever, noone pays a bit of attention, its a noise we have gotten "used" to hearing.

Leave a comment:

• EGregory
    replied
    key two radios close together for feedback???
    That sounds like a terrible idea to me. Yes it's loud and annoying but it can and does happen at times other then when you intend it to. Whatever signal you choose to evacuate, in my opinion, it has to be something that will ONLY be heard when you want people to evacuate. If not people will start to pause when they hear it and wait to confirm what they're hearing instead of heading for the door post haste.

Think of it like PASS devices. How many firefighters have gotten to the point that they don't react when they hear a PASS device going off because they've heard it too many times when it meant nothing. (Guys taking a break without turning it off or setting a pack down etc)

Leave a comment:

• Eng34FF
    replied
    I don't have the procedures handy, but basically here is what we do:

Evacuate: Order is given over radio, Dispatcher sounds evacuation tones over radio system and apparatus operators sound their horn for a time (I belive it is 30 seconds, but not sure).

Mayday: Mayday is called and command and dispatch acknowledge it. Radio is cleared, all traffic not involved with the mayday is moved to another channel. RIT is activated and whatever steps needed to rescue the ff's are taken.

Leave a comment:

• nlfireguy
    started a topic Mayday? Evacuate?

Mayday? Evacuate?

As a rule what is the general thoughts concerning an evacuation order? Airhorn songle long blast, three short blast, key two radios close together for feedback??? What seems to work best for YOU???

Mayday rules, policy. If anyone has any please forward to [email protected] or post a link to them please.

300x600 Ad Unit (In-View)

Collapse

Upper 300x250

Collapse

Taboola

Collapse

Leader

Collapse
Working...
X