Mayday? Evacuate?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by bsfd184 View Post
    our sop on an evacuation is call the evacuation over the radio, then 2 short 1 long blast on the air horns. The air horns are hit until a p.a.r. Check is completed and everyone is accounted for. Everyone is supposed to report to staging.

Our sop on a mayday is to call the mayday over the radio and give a l.u.n.a.r. Report. Once that is complete, activate your p.a.s.s. Device and wait for the calvary to come, while trying to get your composure and see if there is anyway to resolve the issue (ie notice the window near you, etc). Those not calling the mayday are to switch over to channel 3 (our secondary radio channel) so that command can have an uninterrupted (in theory) communications with those calling the mayday. Also r.i.t. Is sent in at that point

:d thank you
    Last edited by nlfireguy; 03-25-2011, 05:25 PM.

Comment

Thanks BSFD,

I had forgotten the L.U.N.A.R ( it's Location, Unit, Needs, Air and Resources is it not?)

Our SOP's and many I have seen have the actual "Mayday" radio proceedure as or simular to....

MAYDAY, MAYDAY, MAYDAY...( either C.L.A.N. or L.U.N.A.R inserted here).....

again the mayday actually being called three times,

moving yourself or group/Company whatever to a location near an outside wall if possible radioing in any change of location to the I.C. is also helpful...

I've also heard of some SOP's calling for the FF to use flashlights or glowsticks to "illuminate" their location as well as for the FF to bang their handtool on the floor or wall in addition to their PASS alarm

there are likely as many different or slightly different variations of essentially the same things as there are Fire Departments.....There used to be a great site by a Fire Officer in Pittsburgh that covered many if not all of these types of SOP's from all over Canada and the US......unfortunately it seems to have been shut down ....mores the pity.......it had TONNES of specific area info including SOP's etc...........

Comment

[QUOTE=Northern Lights FF;1258858]Thanks BSFD,

I had forgotten the L.U.N.A.R ( it's Location, Unit, Needs, Air and Resources is it not?)

QUOTE]

Name (John Smith)
        Air (how much remaining)
        Resources you require

This is one example I found

Comment

Evacuation

3 air horn blasts by the attack engine only.
          Radio transmission by IC indicating "evacuate".
          IC then tones and repeats "evacuate".
          All company/crew officers acknowledge,

Mayday

1 blast on the qair horn by the attack engine only.
          Radio transmission by IC states "mayday in progress".
          IC then tones and repeats "mayday in progress" on fireground frequency.
          Department Dispatch tones and repeats "mayday in progress" on primary/dispatch.
          EMS unit on scene contacts 911 (Parish Dispatch) for 2nd ambulance and 2 additional fire departments.
          Train to fight the fires you fight.

Comment

Originally posted by LaFireEducator View Post
            Evacuation

3 air horn blasts by the attack engine only.
            Radio transmission by IC indicating "evacuate".
            IC then tones and repeats "evacuate".
            All company/crew officers acknowledge,

Mayday

1 blast on the qair horn by the attack engine only.
            Radio transmission by IC states "mayday in progress".
            IC then tones and repeats "mayday in progress" on fireground frequency.
            Department Dispatch tones and repeats "mayday in progress" on primary/dispatch.
            EMS unit on scene contacts 911 (Parish Dispatch) for 2nd ambulance and 2 additional fire departments.
            That looks like a very good system. Has it been used and how well did it work?

Comment

Originally posted by Rice09 View Post
              I agree completly. Looks like a good system for sure.

Comment

Luckily we have never had a mayday since implementing the new procedures but we have drilled on it several times. So far, it has worked well. EMS contacting our dispatch was added after a couple of drills as it took some of the load off the IC in terms of radio contacts.

We have used the evacuation procedure on a couple of occasions, and it has worked out well.

Comment

Originally posted by LaFireEducator View Post
                  Luckily we have never had a mayday since implementing the new procedures but we have drilled on it several times. So far, it has worked well. EMS contacting our dispatch was added after a couple of drills as it took some of the load off the IC in terms of radio contacts.

We have used the evacuation procedure on a couple of occasions, and it has worked out well.
                  Well, I guess it is a good thing you haven't used it. I'm going to look into what our department utilizes, so I'm sure.
                  It bothers me that communication is somewhat of an issue at times where I'm at. Nothing major, just in general. Some of the people working dispatch get it right every time and are just plain good at what they do. Some have their issues. I don't mean to judge, it's an extremely difficult job and very high stress. I am no better. just wish we had a harness on a few things.
                  Radios and pagers is my gripe. Plus the system is par at best. I have to have my pager aimed a certain direction to work. In my opinion, everyone that puts on an airpack should be trained and ready to use a radio. But, I degress.

Comment

Well, I guess it is a good thing you haven't used it. I'm going to look into what our department utilizes, so I'm sure.
                    It bothers me that communication is somewhat of an issue at times where I'm at. Nothing major, just in general. Some of the people working dispatch get it right every time and are just plain good at what they do. Some have their issues. I don't mean to judge, it's an extremely difficult job and very high stress. I am no better. just wish we had a harness on a few things.
                    Radios and pagers is my gripe. Plus the system is par at best. I have to have my pager aimed a certain direction to work. In my opinion, everyone that puts on an airpack should be trained and ready to use a radio. But, I degress.
                    Same here.

Actually it was the same everyplace I have been. The only exception was one department where the county had dedicated fire dispatchers, not PD who also dispatched fire. Since fire was all they handled, they knew what to do and how to do it in just about every situation.

Comment

300x600 Ad Unit (In-View)

Collapse

Upper 300x250

Collapse

Taboola

Collapse

Leader

Collapse
                    Working...
                    X