X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by koechler View Post
    Hi Tree, how do they deal with it?
    At present, they don't.

What they could do is set up a "gateway" such as they have for talking to the various outside agencies (fire, sheriff, city police and fire, state police) which simply becomes another talkgroup on the system. Since almost all of the buildings involved are within range of the main repeater site, dispatch would hear most of the traffic.

Of course, if the handhelds could hit the repeater from inside the buildings, it wouldn't be an issue in the first place, but much of the simplex traffic would still be heard.

Since it would be on a talkgroup, it could also be recorded, something not possible right now.

One valid concern with going to the simplex channels is that the users are now "off net," so if they hit their emergency button, it won't register with dispatch. The simplex channels are still digital, so an emergency will still register with all of the other radios on simplex, but not with dispatch.

There are probably other solutions - that's what I'm familiar with.

Another is not to worry about it. If I am running a scene properly there is no reason for dispatch to be listening to my fireground.
    This agency has a standard FG talkgroup for most incidents. In fact, most of the firefighters leave their handhelds set to that talkgroup. If the IC wants to communicate with dispatch, there's no need to go back to the dispatch TG, he can just call them on FG. Keeps the dispatch TG clear.

The daytime population of the installation is in excess of 20,000, and the hazards covered range from housing areas to industrial areas to an airfield to the gunnery ranges - 165 square miles.
    Opinions my own. Standard disclaimers apply.

Everyone goes home. Safety begins with you.

Comment

My department has made the switch and every thing went flawlessly. We went from wide band to narrow band and also added a P25 digital channel. We pretty much stay on the narrow band channel due to our pagers. This way members without radios and/or scanners can here the traffic. However sometimes we will switch over to our digital channel to clear up our page channel for fire scene operations. We also at this time still have our old wide band channel. Only the department has this channel, dispatch doesnt even have it anymore. We have been using it for a car to car channel between members whenever they need to talk to one another. Kind of handy, but I am not sure how much longer we will have it. Our digital channel has been working great, however, the sherriff's department just switched to digital also and theirs has a lot of "warble" noise and missed communications. The census is they still have something screwed up in the programming.
      Our department has come a long ways from having an old wide band, repeaterless channel to having a 150 watt repeater and radios on narrowband and a digital channel and almost every member having a P25 handheld so I cant help but feel this is a step foward.
      Puttin the wet stuff on the red stuff!

Comment

300x600 Ad Unit (In-View)

Collapse

Upper 300x250

Collapse

Taboola

Collapse

Leader

Collapse
      Working...
      X