Leader

Collapse

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

What does you VFD do, pager or in station shifts?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• What does you VFD do, pager or in station shifts?

The title says it all. ........Kyle

We do both.

Comment

We do both - we have full time paid staff that work 24/48 shifts. The part time members (like myself) work a 24 once a quarter but are on call (they tone us out via minitor) for structure calls.
      Brian Irey

My comments are mine and mine alone - they do not represent any thoughts or views of my department or anyone else

Comment

Pager.

Station shifts would last about a week. With ~100 calls a year, that's an average of two a week. Given the propensity for calls to come in bunches, it's entirely possible that we could go a couple of weeks with zero responses, and you can only inventory the trucks so many times, if you know what I mean.
        Opinions my own. Standard disclaimers apply.

Everyone goes home. Safety begins with you.

Comment

Originally posted by tree68 View Post
          Pager.

Station shifts would last about a week. With ~100 calls a year, that's an average of two a week. Given the propensity for calls to come in bunches, it's entirely possible that we could go a couple of weeks with zero responses, and you can only inventory the trucks so many times, if you know what I mean.
          Oh, I see why it's not worth it expenses wise. You see, my VFD does shifts because we get about 130-150 calls a month ( EMS and fire). We are in one of the top 10 fastest growing county's in the east coast so we get a lot of calls. It just makes sense to do shifts.

Comment

Originally posted by MeadowGlen View Post
            Oh, I see why it's not worth it expenses wise. You see, my VFD does shifts because we get about 130-150 calls a month ( EMS and fire). We are in one of the top 10 fastest growing county's in the east coast so we get a lot of calls. It just makes sense to do shifts.
            This would be where?

That run load is pretty good for a volunteer department. I know career companies that don't run 1500 a year. Maybe you all should become a career department, if you are doing that much buisness every month.

Comment

Originally posted by Jonnee View Post
              This would be where?

That run load is pretty good for a volunteer department. I know career companies that don't run 1500 a year. Maybe you all should become a career department, if you are doing that much buisness every month.
              Alright I just rechecked my FD call tally. We actually get anywhere from 90-130 calls a month ( again EMS+fire ). That is, so far this year. Last year the guys told me that it was very very busy and they hadn't seen anything like it. The number of car crashes due to texting and phones skyrocketed too.

Comment

Hmm... YOUR VFD? The one that you are not a member of yet because you are 15?

Comment

Originally posted by LVFD301 View Post
                  Hmm... YOUR VFD? The one that you are not a member of yet because you are 15?
                  I guess your right I'm not yet a member but I met the chief today. Was showed around and introduced to everyone. I turn 16 in 5 days so after that I can start training. What I ment by "my local VFD" was that it was the closest to me and I will soon join. Sorry for the misunderstanding. Your definitely right it is not "my" VFD. ..............Kyle
                  Last edited by MeadowGlen; 02-24-2011, 07:22 PM.

Comment

Most places have pagers some do shift's.

Comment

Pagers. We're close to 100 calls a year. EMS is seperate.

Comment

about 120 calls/year (fire..rescue..bs..)

we use pagers/text/whistle

Comment

And..........

In Station Crews....... We also have Pagers, etc. BUT, if you're going to go on the call, you need to be in the station. We are required to be out the door in 1 minute.

Calls............

2008............. 3,214 or 267 per month average

2009............. 4,003 or 333 per month average

2010............. 3,870 or 322.5 per month average

Not bad for a place without Red Apparatus.............
                          Never use Force! Get a Bigger Hammer.
                          In memory of
                          Chief Earle W. Woods, 1912 - 1997
                          Asst. Chief John R. Woods Sr. 1937 - 2006

IACOJ Budget Analyst

I Refuse to be a Spectator. If I come to the Game, I'm Playing.

www.gdvfd18.com

Comment

Alright I just rechecked my FD call tally. We actually get anywhere from 90-130 calls a month ( again EMS+fire ). That is, so far this year. Last year the guys told me that it was very very busy and they hadn't seen anything like it. The number of car crashes due to texting and phones skyrocketed too.
                            Thats not a lot when you throw in EMS.

I don't want to get into a p$#&ing contest, but its not that high.

My VFD runs about 400/year and we don't do EMS.

The EMS runs about 1200 or so.

Pagers and often times dusty pagers.
                            I am now a past chief and the views, opinions, and comments are mine and mine alone. I do not speak for any department or in any official capacity. Although, they would be smart to listen to me.

"The last thing I want to do is hurt you. But it's still on the list."

"When tempted to fight fire with fire, remember that the Fire Department usually uses water."

Comment

We are a combination department..station is staffed 24 hrs with 3 man crews...we all have pagers that we utilize..however, all in city calls are handled by the duty crew, unless they are busy and we will be toned in for that, as well as any mutual aid calls we receive...on occasion, part time staff can work a fill in shift in the even that a full time member is out
                              "First In, Last Out"

Comment

300x600 Ad Unit (In-View)

Collapse

Upper 300x250

Collapse

Taboola

Collapse

Leader

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X