X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• jam24u
    replied
    Originally posted by hwoods View Post
    Not when you're enjoying a glass of Iced Tea in the Air Conditioned comfort of my mobile Command unit...........
    Collective Bargaining at its best. Terrible. (I'll take mine with lemon you lucky, lucky FF)

Leave a comment:

• voyager9
    replied
    Originally posted by Bones42 View Post
    A sherman tank is pretty indestructible too for driving down the road...that doesn't make it the best choice.
    Well.. if you went with the M1 then it comes with a TIC.. It's a search tool _AND_ a forcible entry tool!

Leave a comment:

• voyager9
    replied
    We've used both MSA and Bullard and they were both pretty good. You really got to get hands-on and demo them to find one that works for your department.

Find a vendor and get demo units to play with.

Leave a comment:

• hwoods
    replied
    Well.........

Originally posted by blaster668 View Post
    On the fireground it is known and expected to be a rough environment.

Not when you're enjoying a glass of Iced Tea in the Air Conditioned comfort of my mobile Command unit...........

Leave a comment:

• blaster668
    replied
    A sherman tank is pretty indestructible too for driving down the road...that doesn't make it the best choice.

Yeah, but driving down the road you don't EXPECT to bump into things, get shot at, etc. If I was expecting these things to happen, I would choose the tank ! On the fireground it is known and expected to be a rough environment.

Leave a comment:

• Bones42
    replied

Leave a comment:

• blaster668
    replied
    Been using cameras since 1997 and haven't thrown one across a room nor dumped it in a bucket of water.

So not really sure what the point of that is.

Well, I think it demonstrates the confidence the reps have in their product. We all know that if there's a way to break something, a firefighter is sure to figure out how . Things often get dropped, knocked against other objects, and doused in water on the fireground. I think these demonstrations show that the product can hold up to these conditions.

Leave a comment:

• Bones42
    replied
    Originally posted by blaster668 View Post
    Do any companies other than Bullard typically throw their cameras across the room and dip it in a bucket of water during demonstrations?
    Been using cameras since 1997 and haven't thrown one across a room nor dumped it in a bucket of water.

So not really sure what the point of that is.

Leave a comment:

• blaster668
    replied
    Do any companies other than Bullard typically throw their cameras across the room and dip it in a bucket of water during demonstrations?
    Last edited by blaster668; 02-07-2011, 01:53 PM.

Leave a comment:

• tree68
    replied
    Our sister department in the district and us just got MSA 5200HD2's. Mounted ours on the rescue on Friday and it's only been used for demonstration and familiarization so far. It's on the rescue since that's usually out the door at the same time as the engine, and there's really not a lot of room on the engine to mount it.

No complaints as yet.

We had looked at buying two of the small Bullard Eclipses for the same amount we spent on the 5200HD2, but got overridden by the district, which wanted consistency. Not complaining, though, one TIC is better than none.

I was talking to a FF from another area who says they've got an Eclipse on every frontline apparatus. As I understand it, the Eclipse is intended to be a "personal" TIC, with many FF's having them.

That may not work in everyone's environment, cost notwithstanding. I'm sure there are those who would find having three TICs on the engine less than desireable.

Another department I'm familiar with swears by their Bullard.

Leave a comment:

• LaFireEducator
    replied
    We just field test Bullard, MSA and Scott.

We selected Scott. We felt it had the best bang for the buck and was going to be the most durable and reliable.

We will carry the new Scott on the engine and the old Bullard on the rescue..

We also, thank god, selected Scott to replace our MSA SCBA.

It was not part of a package. they were evaluated by different committees and the TIC was purchased first before the SCBA selection process had even been started.

Leave a comment:

• firefightinirish217
    replied
    Originally posted by hwoods View Post
    Good Point....... Finding people at night is certainly a challenge under the best of circumstances, but having a TIC and knowing how to use it puts you light years ahead of those who don't. As I mentioned above, We get the TIC out at a lot of Crashes after Dark. One thing that folks might think about: There are gizmos called "Lazer Thermometers" or "Infrared Thermometers" available at Hardware Stores. In no way are these things a substitute for a TIC, BUT, having a couple available and using then as soon as you arrive on a job can establish priorities for the TIC..........
    We used to get called out by P.D. all the time to use our TIC to have a look see in the dark for anyone that might be partially exposed. Once they asked us to look throught the ceiling of a house to see if a perp with a gun might be in the attic. We had to explain to them it wasn't X-ray vision. Then they wanted us to poke our head through the attic scuttle and look around for him. We showed them how to use it so they could look around, we don't get paid to get shot at.
    Last edited by firefightinirish217; 02-06-2011, 04:32 PM.

Leave a comment:

• hwoods
    replied
    That Too........

Originally posted by volfireman034 View Post
    So hwoods have you found out how to mount the TIC on a hunting rifle yet lol just joking. But looking for deer would me a good way to practive looking for lost victims at night lol

Good Point....... Finding people at night is certainly a challenge under the best of circumstances, but having a TIC and knowing how to use it puts you light years ahead of those who don't. As I mentioned above, We get the TIC out at a lot of Crashes after Dark. One thing that folks might think about: There are gizmos called "Lazer Thermometers" or "Infrared Thermometers" available at Hardware Stores. In no way are these things a substitute for a TIC, BUT, having a couple available and using then as soon as you arrive on a job can establish priorities for the TIC..........

Leave a comment:

• firefightinirish217
    replied
    Originally posted by islandfire03 View Post
    We have an old ISG talisman from a grant 10 years ago. It always works and other than the battery life no problems at all. We keep a couple of spare charged battery packs in the case.

We are looking at the MSA[ 5600 ] ??? model for a new TIC because our MSA rep gives us units to demo. Really liked the color display over the grey scale
    Yeah, I forgot about those batteries draining so fast, that was irritating. But other than that, I've never whited one out. One got whited out one time, that was when we first used our new burn building, we didn't realize it got that hot that fast. We learned the hard way that some training would be required for use of the training building, haha. Thank God nobody was hurt. One of those boneheaded moments. We were like little kids on Christmas morning, wanted to play with our new toy before reading the directions. Leason learned though.

Leave a comment:

• islandfire03
    replied
    We have an old ISG talisman from a grant 10 years ago. It always works and other than the battery life no problems at all. We keep a couple of spare charged battery packs in the case.

We are looking at the MSA[ 5600 ] ??? model for a new TIC because our MSA rep gives us units to demo. Really liked the color display over the grey scale

Leave a comment:

300x600 Ad Unit (In-View)

Collapse

Upper 300x250

Collapse

Taboola

Collapse

Leader

Collapse
Working...
X