Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Fireeaterbob
    replied
    Know the trucks. There is little you can do if you cannot find the tools.

Leave a comment:

• FireRescueLupo
    replied
    Make a list of questions you have, pull a firefighter that you may have some aquintance with and ask them some or all. Try another firefighter and get any that you missed or the first didn't know. If all else fails go to your officer and ask them. Learn what you can, train when you can and like before make friends with you brothers and sisters. They will be the ones watching your back while in the midst of it all. It makes life easier to be on good terms with the people you spend time with and who help you learn and have your back.

Leave a comment:

• voyager9
    replied
    Originally posted by mncowboy96 View Post
    A good easy thing I would do is know your apparatus. If your asked to get the cribbing or airbags at a MVA your only going to have a few second before someone else comes to grab them for you.
    That is one of the first things our new members are set to. Know the trucks. They cannot fill out a seat on a truck until they've proven they know where everything is (and what its called).

In most cases new members won't be pack qualified so their primary job on scene will be to get equipment. If I'm inside I am relying on them to know where stuff is and get it quickly.. on Scene the driver, and most of the senior members are going to be too busy to hold hands.

When I first joined I made a point to go through all compartments on every truck at the start of duty crew.. only took a few weeks before it was second nature.

Leave a comment:

• mncowboy96
    replied
    Voyager is right! Be a sponge. There are years of knowledge to be had by just listening.

A good easy thing I would do is know your apparatus. If your asked to get the cribbing or airbags at a MVA your only going to have a few second before someone else comes to grab them for you. Take a camera and photograph every compartment and look at them till you know where each tool is stored (by name and what it does).

Leave a comment:

• TOFD727
    replied
    Originally posted by voyager9 View Post
    If a picture in the press or on the internet would embarrass you or your FD.. you probably shouldn't be wearing your FD stuff... Common examples: out at a bar, concert, robbing a bank, etc.
    That last one espeicially would be a bad time to wear one to. It tends to give the cops a great place to start looking for suspects.

Leave a comment:

• voyager9
    replied
    Originally posted by Gambit7 View Post
    Just got on with Sunnyvale Fire Rescue last night. Got my T-shirt and call # (but no pager yet, they were out of pagers).

Any advice? I want to show up and learn as much as possible. I'll volunteer for all the "gofer" jobs just to learn where stuff is and how it works. I'm really glad to have this opportunity.

Also one more thing - when is it ok to wear my station's shirt/cap? Only when making calls?
    Congrats on joining. I'm sure you'll find it fulfilling.

My advice: Be a sponge. As you said, show up and do as many jobs, and learn as much as possible. Also meet as many of the other members as possible.. camaraderie is a big part of it.

As for FD-wear.. it depends on the department. I suggest talking to the other members. Some places encourage the free advertising. Others limit it to while on-duty. In general: If a picture in the press or on the internet would embarrass you or your FD.. you probably shouldn't be wearing your FD stuff... Common examples: out at a bar, concert, robbing a bank, etc.

Leave a comment:

• Gambit7
    started a topic Brand new Vollunteer...

Brand new Vollunteer...

Just got on with Sunnyvale Fire Rescue last night. Got my T-shirt and call # (but no pager yet, they were out of pagers).

Any advice? I want to show up and learn as much as possible. I'll volunteer for all the "gofer" jobs just to learn where stuff is and how it works. I'm really glad to have this opportunity.

Also one more thing - when is it ok to wear my station's shirt/cap? Only when making calls?
    Last edited by Gambit7; 01-28-2011, 09:25 AM.

300x600 Ad Unit (In-View)

Collapse

Upper 300x250

Collapse

Taboola

Collapse

Leader

Collapse
Working...
X