Brand new Vollunteer...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by sachse1 View Post
    How was the interview...much like those for paid positions?
    No, the interview was really informal, even the officer's interview. They didn't last very long, and it was pretty much no pressure.

Comment

You sound so much like me when I started. I would spend hours at the station just looking through everything. A few words of advice....

Before making suggestions, learn their way and what they have tried. they may have tried something before and it didn't work.

As others have said do not shy away from work to BS with the guys. be the first to roll hose and clean up..

Do not expect to have respect for awhile. As i was told, " Respect is earned not given."

Do not be afraid to ask questions. A good instructor would love to have you ask questions.

If your department allows or you have access to, attend as many certified classes as you can but be sure to do the basics first. You do not want to get overwhelmed with an advanced class from not knowing the basics.

On a personal note, it nice to see someone so interested in the fire service and wanting to learn not just hang out. Good Luck, initial impressions from me is you will be a good addition to the service.

Comment

A short list of tips

1. Walk around like you own the place. You are the BMOC now...
        2. Make sure you tell the "old farts" how to do something better they will respect your input.
        3. On your first call body check someone into the engine so you get a good seat.
        4. GET LOTS OF LIGHTS FOR YOUR PERSONAL VEHICLE; those make you look very cool.
        5. Talk endlessly about your first fire. Make sure to make it sound like a combination of the Towering Inferno, Backdraft, and Ladder 49.
        6. Create your own personal "I'm a hero" mixtape. Play it whenever you walk into the station.
        7. Take pictures of everything. Post to Facebook.
        8. Ask the Chief when you get to be and senior firefighter/engineer/officer starting tomorrow.
        9. State that you "need your beauty sleep" and skip every call between the hours of 7:00pm and 11:30am.
        10. Mention frequently that the fire department was "better in the old days."
        11. Make the theme to Emergency your ring tone. Have your significant other call you at drill.
        12. Suggest ideas to raise money for the department. Make sure you don't help when the time comes.
        13. Remember family comes first: bring them to calls and drill!
        14. Respond POV to the fire. Who needs water, SCBA, ladders, tools, and backup?
        15. Forget your fire department hat and shirt. Go buy the ones on the internet that say things like "I fight what others fear" and "American Hero Firefighter." Make sure each shirt has flames, an eagle, the silhouette of a firefighter, and the American Flag on it. Buy a gross of each. Wear only at a time until it becomes faded and full of holes. This will show your dedication.

I hope this list helps.

Backwooder

Comment

Originally posted by Backwooder View Post
          11. Make the theme to Emergency your ring tone.
          Will the tones and klaxon from station 51 do?
          Opinions my own. Standard disclaimers apply.

Everyone goes home. Safety begins with you.

Comment

Yes, but only if you refer to your self in the third person as KMG365...
            Last edited by Backwooder; 02-08-2011, 06:35 PM. Reason: Much better reason...

Comment

Originally posted by DFDMAXX View Post
              Never miss a chance to work.

Never miss a chance to train.
              ...and never miss a chance to keep your mouth shut

Just got on with Sunnyvale Fire Rescue last night. Got my T-shirt and call # (but no pager yet, they were out of pagers).
              Seriously, I hope "they were out of pagers" was not the only reason you weren't issued a pager the first time you walked in the station. I'd like to think a new guy would at least have to show his face for a few weeks and learn his way around the trucks a bit, get a little orientation under his belt before being cleared to start running calls.
              Chief Dwayne LeBlanc
              Paincourtville Volunteer Fire Department
              Paincourtville, LA

"I have a dream. It's not a big dream, it's just a little dream. My dream — and I hope you don't find this too crazy — is that I would like the people of this community to feel that if, God forbid, there were a fire, calling the fire department would actually be a wise thing to do. You can't have people, if their houses are burning down, saying, 'Whatever you do, don't call the fire department!' That would be bad."
              — C.D. Bales, "Roxanne"

Comment

Originally posted by dmleblanc View Post
                ...and never miss a chance to keep your mouth shut

Seriously, I hope "they were out of pagers" was not the only reason you weren't issued a pager the first time you walked in the station. I'd like to think a new guy would at least have to show his face for a few weeks and learn his way around the trucks a bit, get a little orientation under his belt before being cleared to start running calls.
                You make a good point! I've actually been going there since December... missed 2 or three meets at the beginning, but I've attended every one since. And I know they want to get to know me, and they want me to learn a lot so I'll be useful to them during calls. I'm just grateful to have this opportunity - and I will keep showing up and learn as much as I can!

I'm thinking about heading up there early tonight just to "inventory" the ambulance and learn where things are kept. I was talking with a medic there and she recommended I do this because it really helps you when you need to get stuff ASAP.

I appreciate everyone's comments and advice! This thread has been a great help to me - and I plan to apply what I've learned while serving my community.

Comment

300x600 Ad Unit (In-View)

Collapse

Upper 300x250

Collapse

Taboola

Collapse

Leader

Collapse
                Working...
                X