X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• jdschmidt
    replied
    Originally posted by dmleblanc View Post
    You've been around an actual fire station before, haven't you?
    I admit I swear more than I need to haha. Working in a saw mill and the FD, you are exposed to nothing but swear words, almost becomes a code. BUT, if I were going to write a book about my life, I would try to leave them out. I think he could have used some more acceptable replacement words. Either way it didn't bother me one bit, and was hands down one of the best books I have read in a good while. Glad someone here brought it up, or I would have never heard about it.

Leave a comment:

• dmleblanc
    replied
    Originally posted by jdschmidt View Post
    He drops the F-Bomb more than necessary I think. All in all it isn't THAT bad. Still not something kid friendly.
    You've been around an actual fire station before, haven't you?

I should clarify, I am now on chapter eleven, and he dosen't drop the f-bomb at all. All I meant was, he uses words that so obscure and foreign to me that it seems a little like putting on aires. Didn't mean to accuse or confuse.
    Well, the guy admits he was a writer first and the firefighting came later. So yeah, he tends to be a little verbose. It seems that he's the town intellectual. How many volunteer firefighters do you know who attend poetry readings?
    Last edited by dmleblanc; 02-09-2011, 02:52 AM.

Leave a comment:

• treeguy
    replied
    I should clarify, I am now on chapter eleven, and he dosen't drop the f-bomb at all. All I meant was, he uses words that so obscure and foreign to me that it seems a little like putting on aires. Didn't mean to accuse or confuse.

Leave a comment:

• peterbound
    replied
    He drops the F-Bomb more than necessary I think. All in all it isn't THAT bad. Still not something kid friendly.
    Pretty sure that you can't drop the F-Bomb more than necessary. It's always necessary.

Leave a comment:

• jdschmidt
    replied
    Originally posted by FR911 View Post
    Is it really bad???

Leave a comment:

• FR911
    replied
    Originally posted by treeguy View Post
    Good read, I'm on chapter 8. I don't know why he has to use such obscure verbage. My ignorance showing I suppose.
    Is it really bad???

Leave a comment:

• FR911
    replied
    I might have to get me a copy of that book...

Leave a comment:

• treeguy
    replied
    Good read, I'm on chapter 8. I don't know why he has to use such obscure verbage. My ignorance showing I suppose.

Leave a comment:

• dmleblanc
    replied
    My boss gave me a copy of Population:485 a couple of years ago. I really enjoyed it, gave a good insight into the workings and characters in a typical small town volunteer department. I recognized many of the members of my own department in this book....

Leave a comment:

• jdschmidt
    replied
    Bought it last night when I got home from work and started reading it. Couldn't put it down, I probably would have read the whole thing if I didn't have training at 7. Can't wait to finish it up tonight.

Leave a comment:

• tree_house
    replied
    I think I can get this on my Kindle. I will look for it tonight. Just researched it a bit and sounds like a good book. If not They are $4.01 shipped on amazon right now. (used)
    yes you can get it for kindle, that's how I read the book

Leave a comment:

• jdschmidt
    replied
    I think I can get this on my Kindle. I will look for it tonight. Just researched it a bit and sounds like a good book. If not They are $4.01 shipped on amazon right now. (used)

Leave a comment:

• backsteprescue
    replied
    Not a bad book... pretty easy read.

Leave a comment:

• hwoods
    replied
    Found it!.......

OK, I found it at BooksaMillion. Thanks everyone.

Leave a comment:

• GhostRider73
    replied
    Population 485 is $5.60

Leave a comment:

300x600 Ad Unit (In-View)

Collapse

Upper 300x250

Collapse

Taboola

Collapse

Leader