No announcement yet.

Book Report: Population:485

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

My boss gave me a copy of Population:485 a couple of years ago. I really enjoyed it, gave a good insight into the workings and characters in a typical small town volunteer department. I recognized many of the members of my own department in this book....
    Chief Dwayne LeBlanc
    Paincourtville Volunteer Fire Department
    Paincourtville, LA

"I have a dream. It's not a big dream, it's just a little dream. My dream — and I hope you don't find this too crazy — is that I would like the people of this community to feel that if, God forbid, there were a fire, calling the fire department would actually be a wise thing to do. You can't have people, if their houses are burning down, saying, 'Whatever you do, don't call the fire department!' That would be bad."
    — C.D. Bales, "Roxanne"

Comment

Good read, I'm on chapter 8. I don't know why he has to use such obscure verbage. My ignorance showing I suppose.

Comment

I might have to get me a copy of that book...

Comment

Originally posted by treeguy View Post
          Good read, I'm on chapter 8. I don't know why he has to use such obscure verbage. My ignorance showing I suppose.
          Is it really bad???

Comment

Originally posted by FR911 View Post
            Is it really bad???
            He drops the F-Bomb more than necessary I think. All in all it isn't THAT bad. Still not something kid friendly.

Comment

Originally posted by jdschmidt View Post
              He drops the F-Bomb more than necessary I think. All in all it isn't THAT bad. Still not something kid friendly.
              Pretty sure that you can't drop the F-Bomb more than necessary. It's always necessary.

Comment

I should clarify, I am now on chapter eleven, and he dosen't drop the f-bomb at all. All I meant was, he uses words that so obscure and foreign to me that it seems a little like putting on aires. Didn't mean to accuse or confuse.

Comment

Originally posted by jdschmidt View Post
                  You've been around an actual fire station before, haven't you?

I should clarify, I am now on chapter eleven, and he dosen't drop the f-bomb at all. All I meant was, he uses words that so obscure and foreign to me that it seems a little like putting on aires. Didn't mean to accuse or confuse.
                  Well, the guy admits he was a writer first and the firefighting came later. So yeah, he tends to be a little verbose. It seems that he's the town intellectual. How many volunteer firefighters do you know who attend poetry readings?
                  Last edited by dmleblanc; 02-09-2011, 02:52 AM.
                  Chief Dwayne LeBlanc
                  Paincourtville Volunteer Fire Department
                  Paincourtville, LA

"I have a dream. It's not a big dream, it's just a little dream. My dream — and I hope you don't find this too crazy — is that I would like the people of this community to feel that if, God forbid, there were a fire, calling the fire department would actually be a wise thing to do. You can't have people, if their houses are burning down, saying, 'Whatever you do, don't call the fire department!' That would be bad."
                  — C.D. Bales, "Roxanne"

Comment

Originally posted by dmleblanc View Post
                    You've been around an actual fire station before, haven't you?
                    I admit I swear more than I need to haha. Working in a saw mill and the FD, you are exposed to nothing but swear words, almost becomes a code. BUT, if I were going to write a book about my life, I would try to leave them out. I think he could have used some more acceptable replacement words. Either way it didn't bother me one bit, and was hands down one of the best books I have read in a good while. Glad someone here brought it up, or I would have never heard about it.

Comment

300x600 Ad Unit (In-View)

Collapse

Upper 300x250

Collapse

Taboola

Collapse

Leader

Collapse
                    Working...
                    X