No announcement yet.

Quaker Gear

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I have a Quaker coat I wear for EMS. It's unbelievably bulky, and I wouldn't get one again due to the fact that it's unbelievably bulky. We have Bristol at the fire house. It's very light, very easy to move in, not too bulky.
    "A fire department that writes off civilians faster than an express line of 6 reasons or less is not progressive, it's dangerous, because it's run by fear. Fear does not save lives, it endangers them." -- Lt. Ray McCormack FDNY

"Because if you don't think you're good, nobody else will." -- DC Tom Laun (ret) Syracuse

Comment

In the course of my career as a firefighter I have worn several incarnations of Janesville, Bodygaurd, Morning Pride, Bristol, Quaker, Viking, and even a couple of different military spec CFR sets of gear. While I have never felt inadequately protected I can say I have been less than pleased with the fit and features of some brands.

For fit, comfort, ease of movement and protection I have not seen anything come close to Bristol turnout gear. We have had the Bristol Boston Spec gear, other than a sorry daliance to Quaker for 8 sets, for over 10 years with zero complaints.

I am one of the unfortunate ones that received Quaker gear. I love the pants, they fit well, are comfortable, flexible, offer great thermal protection, and the suspenders are excellent. I will say however that I hate the coat. It is bulky, stiff, and seems far hotter to wear than the Bristol I had worn previously, or the Morning Pride I wear at my career FD. My coat also had to go in and have the snaps at the end of the sleeves replaced. The liner kept coming unsnapped every time I took the coat off and finaaly one of the snaps just broke completely. To be honest I have gone back to wearing my old Bristol gear. All of our Quaker gear was measured and made to fit, no off the rack sizes.

My second choice would be Morning Pride. I use that at work and as an instructor for the tech college. Comfortable, flexible, easy to move in and offers great protection.

Good luck because no matter what decision you make someone will tell you you are an idiot and made the wrong one.
      Crazy, but that's how it goes
      Millions of people living as foes
      Maybe it's not too late
      To learn how to love, and forget how to hate

Comment

Originally posted by Chenzo View Post
        I have a Quaker coat I wear for EMS. It's unbelievably bulky, and I wouldn't get one again due to the fact that it's unbelievably bulky. We have Bristol at the fire house. It's very light, very easy to move in, not too bulky.
        So would you say that the coat is unbelievably bulky?
        Maybe it's not too late

Comment

Originally posted by FyredUp View Post
          From his post, what in the world would give you the idea that it might be unbelievably bulky?

Sure you are not just reading something into his post?

Comment

Originally posted by Ctuttle3d View Post
            we have veridian (think thats how its spelled) we had mixed and matched sets before.... we have had our veridian for almost a year now and everyone in our department is very happy..... its very comfortable and pretty light and with the bail out harness between the outer layer and the inner liner there is minimal snag hazzards....
            Our Veridian is at the five year mark and wearing VERY badly..
            A coward stands by and watches wrongs committed without saying a word...Any opinions expressed are purely my own and not necessarily reflective of the views of my former departments

Comment

I have a matching set of Morning Pride for my regular bunkers, However I was having issues with all of the buttoning and hooking within the 1:00 minute mark, so I got an old quaker out of the closet that is a zip and velcro which is MUCH faster, and I only use it for training purposes, to be honest it feels like a toy coat compared to my Morning Pride. It feels alot less bulky than my MP coat though. I wouldn't mind using it for a summer coat, but I would like to stay matching for some reason. Coat was made in 2000 and it pretty worn, not sure how much it was used before it was thrown in the closet when we switched. Morning Pride was made in 05 and it still looks really good. Maybe get a few reps in from different places and try them on, see what they will offer for a warranty. We just ordered 5 new sets of Morning Pride a few weeks ago, their new stuff is great.
              jdschmidt
              Forum Member
              Last edited by jdschmidt; 02-04-2011, 04:48 PM. Reason: I kant spel

Comment

Originally posted by jdschmidt View Post
                I have a matching set of Morning Pride for my regular bunkers, However I was having issues with all of the buttoning and hooking within the 1:00 minute mark, so I got an old quaker out of the closet that is a zip and velcro which is MUCH faster, and I only use it for training purposes, to be honest it feels like a toy coat compared to my Morning Pride. It feels alot less bulky than my MP coat though. I wouldn't mind using it for a summer coat, but I would like to stay matching for some reason. Coat was made in 2000 and it pretty worn, not sure how much it was used before it was thrown in the closet when we switched. Morning Pride was made in 05 and it still looks really good. Maybe get a few reps in from different places and try them on, see what they will offer for a warranty. We just ordered 5 new sets of Morning Pride a few weeks ago, their new stuff is great.
                My choice of bunker gear and the protection it provides does not change with the seasons. Fire burns just as hot all year round.

Just saying.
                Career Firefighter
                Volunteer Captain

-Professional in Either Role-

Originally posted by Rescue101
                I don't mind fire rolling over my head. I just don't like it rolling UNDER my a**.

Comment

Originally posted by LVFD301 View Post
                  From his post, what in the world would give you the idea that it might be unbelievably bulky?

Sure you are not just reading something into his post?
                  I very well could be reading into it. I sometimes do that.

BUT...I just can't help but have this ominous feeling that he is trying to tell us, in his own special way, that the coat is unbelievably bulky.
                  Maybe it's not too late

Comment

Originally posted by GTRider245 View Post
                    My choice of bunker gear and the protection it provides does not change with the seasons. Fire burns just as hot all year round.

Just saying.
                    Depends on the call I guess. We get a lot of rescue calls where we wear full PPE. If were are just cutting someone out a slightly lighter coat would be okay with me, but not a huge deal. If I am directing traffic on hot days it's usually bunker pants, T-shirt and a safety vest anyways.

Comment

We went through a selection process last spring and looked at Morning Pride, Veridian, Quaker, Janesville, Janesville Lion apparell and Globe extreme.

Since we were looking for gear for older and wider volunteers who would be going through the practical exams for their NFPA 1001, we chose Globe Extreme XT or whatever.

Wearing Globe was just way too cool and our mutual aid partners are envious of us for a change.

Comment

Originally posted by jam24u View Post
                        We went through a selection process last spring and looked at Morning Pride, Veridian, Quaker, Janesville, Janesville Lion apparell and Globe extreme.

Since we were looking for gear for older and wider volunteers who would be going through the practical exams for their NFPA 1001, we chose Globe Extreme XT or whatever.

Wearing Globe was just way too cool and our mutual aid partners are envious of us for a change.
                        Way too cool? That is a criteri in a PPE selection process?

Damn I guess I missed that one. I cared about fit, comfort, flexibility, protection and durability. Silly me.
                        Maybe it's not too late

Comment

too cool for cool reasons

Way too cool? That is a criteri in a PPE selection process?

Damn I guess I missed that one. I cared about fit, comfort, flexibility, protection and durability. Silly me.
                          Of course it is when your in corn cobb county. There are often political reasons too when it gets down to it. Especially when you want your town board to increase your cash participation for a new fire apparatus to go with your new cool Globe turnouts. Comprehend eh? LOL

Comment

I would have to say that it's unbelievably bulky, yes.

Dick....lol
                            "A fire department that writes off civilians faster than an express line of 6 reasons or less is not progressive, it's dangerous, because it's run by fear. Fear does not save lives, it endangers them." -- Lt. Ray McCormack FDNY

"Because if you don't think you're good, nobody else will." -- DC Tom Laun (ret) Syracuse

Comment

I very well could be reading into it. I sometimes do that.

BUT...I just can't help but have this ominous feeling that he is trying to tell us, in his own special way, that the coat is unbelievably bulky.

lol you're such a ****** sometimes.

Comment

Originally posted by Chenzo View Post
                                lol you're such a ****** sometimes.

But not an unbelievably bulky one.
                                Maybe it's not too late

Comment

300x600 Ad Unit (In-View)

Collapse

Upper 300x250