Help :/ Want to become a volunteer

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Help :/ Want to become a volunteer

I want to become a volunteer firefighter, but I have absolutely no experience. I plan to enlist into the Marine Corps in a couple of years, but in the meantime I would like to do something to benefit myself and my community. I've always been interested in becoming a volunteer, but I've never delved into the process. I am eighteen and just graduated high school (class of 2010). Where should I start? Again, I have ZERO experience.

Go down to your local fire volunteer fire station. Talk with some of the guys down there to get an idea of what your getting yourself into and depending on the department you may have to fill out a application for membership.

As for firefighting experience, you will more than likely have to go through some schooling for so many hours depending on your state. If you show that you are willing to learn most people on the department will more than likely go out there way to show you the ropes and how things are done.

Comment

Originally posted by tree_house View Post
      Go down to your local fire volunteer fire station. Talk with some of the guys down there to get an idea of what your getting yourself into and depending on the department you may have to fill out a application for membership.

As for firefighting experience, you will more than likely have to go through some schooling for so many hours depending on your state. If you show that you are willing to learn most people on the department will more than likely go out there way to show you the ropes and how things are done.
      What sort of physical shape will you need to be in to become a firefighter?

Comment

Originally posted by devilpup2010 View Post
        What sort of physical shape will you need to be in to become a firefighter?
        Well, I just had to run a PAT (Physical Agility Test) that was just a tough, if not tougher, than the Marine Corps' CFT (Combat Fitness Test) I have to run every year. Depends on the department you join and what kind of standards they have. The department I just joined has pretty high standards, therefore fitness is a high priority.

Comment

You have graduated high school and now 18.

Enlist now in the USMC. Don't wait. Go now get that great experience and the veterans points and come back and join a department then.
          Stay Safe and Well Out There....

Always remembering 9-11-2001 and 343+ Brothers

Comment

Originally posted by CaptOldTimer View Post
            You have graduated high school and now 18.

Enlist now in the USMC. Don't wait. Go now get that great experience and the veterans points and come back and join a department then.
            I can't enlist right now, because I still have braces. Otherwise, I'd be at Parris Island right now.

Comment

And............

If I may ask, what State are you in?...... That could make a difference.....
              Never use Force! Get a Bigger Hammer.
              In memory of
              Chief Earle W. Woods, 1912 - 1997
              Asst. Chief John R. Woods Sr. 1937 - 2006

IACOJ Budget Analyst

I Refuse to be a Spectator. If I come to the Game, I'm Playing.

www.gdvfd18.com

Comment

Originally posted by hwoods View Post
                If I may ask, what State are you in?...... That could make a difference.....
                North Carolina

Comment

what part of north carolina?

I could probably point you in the right direction.

Comment

Originally posted by lvfd2167 View Post
                    what part of north carolina?

I could probably point you in the right direction.
                    Rutherford (between Charlotte and Asheville).

Comment

I can't enlist right now, because I still have braces. Otherwise, I'd be at Parris Island right now.
                      You've gotta have pretty teeth to be a Marine? Did that rule come about with the repeal of DODT?
                      So you call this your free country
                      Tell me why it costs so much to live
                      -3dd

Comment

OK, Thanks.....

North Carolina

Thank you. I'd certainly like to point you in the right direction, but my Contacts in North Carolina are pretty few and far between......... Why I asked in the First Place is that different states have different ways of doing things like training requirements, background checks, etc.... Good Luck, and keep us posted on your progress......
                        Never use Force! Get a Bigger Hammer.
                        In memory of
                        Chief Earle W. Woods, 1912 - 1997
                        Asst. Chief John R. Woods Sr. 1937 - 2006

IACOJ Budget Analyst

I Refuse to be a Spectator. If I come to the Game, I'm Playing.

www.gdvfd18.com

Comment

Originally posted by voyager9 View Post
                          You've gotta have pretty teeth to be a Marine? Did that rule come about with the repeal of DODT?
                          You can't braces in boot camp.

To the rest, thanks for the information!

Comment

Rutherford (between Charlotte and Asheville).
                            Talk to BULL321, maybe he can point you in the right direction, he's in that area.

Comment

Originally posted by voyager9 View Post
                              No, but he does have to have a certain dental classification to ship to bootcamp. I had to have my wisdom teeth taken out before I could even deploy, had to be a class 1.

Comment

300x600 Ad Unit (In-View)

Collapse

Upper 300x250

Collapse

Taboola

Collapse

Leader

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X