No announcement yet.

Volunteers MIA

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I wish we had a system in place. It would be helpful if people would let us know when they are done. Most of them are just never seen again. Keep their pagers, lights and dress shirts. One guy who hasn't shown his face in about a month just got nice new bunkers from the dept. We have tried calling him, texting him, even emails and he won't reply to anything. some firefighters see him at the bar on saturday nights, but he wont talk to anyone. My problem is, I want his bunkers. I had a nice set of morning prides, but unfortunately my coat got burned pretty good on the front in a house fire yesterday, and I would like to take his.

Comment

Originally posted by jdschmidt View Post
      One guy who hasn't shown his face in about a month just got nice new bunkers from the dept.
      I'm sure a visit from a fellow wearing a badge and a gun would be productive. The value of what he hasn't returned might even put his larceny in the grand theft range. Even if it doesn't, it won't look good on his record.

Call law enforcement and file a complaint. Just make sure you have a record that you issued the gear to him.
      Opinions my own. Standard disclaimers apply.

Everyone goes home. Safety begins with you.

Comment

We have a lawyer on our department. Usually a letter from him makes our stuff magically turn up a few days later

With all the people without good bunkers on our dept. it seems like a shame to just have a set sitting on the rack when we go to calls. We are ordering 10 new sets soon, but we have to decide which 10 get them out of the 40 members.

Comment

As the Assistant Chief, I can usually only give work details or minor disciplinary actions. We carry probably 50-60 so called "active" members (Trained with FF1/EMT and Fit tested and have gear) but in reality, only about 20 really participate. And unfortunately some of the leaders of our department are nervous about tossing these people...I guess they like to see that fat membership list. I call BS, I wanna toss probably 20 people just on principle. It's not like Volunteering at a Soup Kitchen, lives and property depend on your dedication to what YOU signed up for...

Comment

Originally posted by hwoods View Post
            About 14 years from now, remember that......

All 4 of our Daughters married into the Fire Service, and 3 out of 4 are/were members themselves. Grandkids are now involved, with the oldest Grandson recently cleared to Drive all Apparatus. It appears to run in the Family, His 2 year old Daughter gets in the Drivers seat and doesn't want to get out....
            Being one of the 4, hopefully after raising my older kids and 15yrs later, i may be at a point to start checking the stations here in va, and trying it again. Its easier to get a sitter for 1 kid on occasion than 2, or if in a class can arrange with his schedules with his dad. (works out of town) my daughter temp went to station 6, while my son went to 1 and 5. Only thing is fire or EMS. I am still in decient shape but would need to get some gear out of storage and work at it prior, but may be a plan. Hey Dad, oops, I mean Chief, I may need a referral..

Comment

Originally posted by tree68 View Post
              If they want to "just volunteer," there are plenty of organizations that will be glad to see them.

I assemble a spreadsheet of each member's responses each year which goes to our commissioners. You'd think some of them would be embarrassed by their own numbers, but a lot don't even seem to care.

In fact, I'm convinced that some of them think I do it to showcase my own numbers (which are high, but that's another story).
              I'm in the same boat. There are comments made to a few of the guys who can go to almost all of the calls. Some guys have that opportunity and some don't. What I find interesting are those who could make the time and choose not to go to uneventful calls, yet turn their nose up at a few of the guys who make 99% of them. As if to say "suck up." While in my head I'm thinking that some people just love the job and want to help unconditionally.

Comment

300x600 Ad Unit (In-View)

Collapse

Upper 300x250

Collapse

Taboola

Collapse

Leader

Collapse
              Working...
              X