Leader

Collapse

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

An honor for someone who doesn't deserve it, in my opinon. What's your thoughts?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Fireeaterbob
    replied
    Sigh...................Not your fight now and probably not the best forum to air these differences.

Leave a comment:

• firefightinirish217
    replied
    Seriously, let it go man. I was on a small town volunteer department in north Georgia before I got hired on with Dalton several years ago. The mayor was the chief and all the captains were city counsel members. Anyway, half the department voted for a new mayor and the other half and all the captains voted for the existing mayor/chief. Anyway, words were said, no one would let it go and the department split right in half. I left, it was not a safe position to be in. Again, let it go, get over it, what ever. You don't want to be "that guy", the one everyone black balls because you wanted to make a big deal out of something that they obviously want. But hey, if you want to persist, then be happy to lay in the bed you make doing it. If you post what happens on here and it's a boohoo story you're gonna get a bunch of "I told you so's!"

Let it go man.

Leave a comment:

• tree68
    replied
    Originally posted by Bones42 View Post
    How is a volunteer "fired"?
    By being "involuntarily terminated." Thrown out of the department.

Granted, fired usually refers to being let go from a paid position, but the principle is the same. They don't want to leave (and give up that jacket) but they are being shown the door.

Leave a comment:

• Bones42
    replied
    How is a volunteer "fired"?

Leave a comment:

• Blulakr
    replied
    Originally posted by Breech31 View Post
    Blulkr, thanks for your reply. I don't see where i've been "long winded" or "complained" or "bashed my dept."...ever. Also, if my post is too long for you to read, might I suggest you stop reading and move along to another topic? Regarding " Don't sweat the stuff you have no control over. People will then take you more seriously," I would beg to differ with you in the matter of people taking me more seriously. If I don't agree with something, I don't roll over and make like a dead fish. Being on the 'honorary firefighter' plaque and being firefighter in general means something. I dont' think it's something that should just be given out as some sort of parting gift. Him being put on that board makes everything everyone else did on that board less significant. If he gets put on it, then "Hell, anyone can be an honorary firefighter."
    By 'long winded' I mean your post was much more detailed and longer than it needed to be. Plus, it's difficult to read when it's all one paragraph. I'm sure many others "moved on" as you say and didn't bother to read your post. Is that what you want??

You certainly were complaining.

If you don't agree with something that's fine. Voice your opinion to whom it matters. I'm not saying that you should roll over. But you need to choose your battles. If, as in this case, you are not likely to be able to change the outcome then move on. "Don't sweat the stuff you have no control over"
    As other posts indicate, you appear to be "stirring the pot" and have "sour grapes". Not my words but I agree. Not the way to act if you want to be taken seriously.

You asked for our opinions, not confirmation.
    Last edited by Blulakr; 12-28-2010, 08:54 PM.

Leave a comment:

• FIREguy2011
    replied
    Originally posted by GVFD5 View Post
    Breech,

Here is my question... Has his attitude been this bad all 10+ years he has been on the department and has he just recently failed to meet his % of calls obligation?

If those actions are a recent problem (just the last 2 years or so) he probably is deserving of the "recognition". I understand your frustration we just recently put a guy on our "Executive Fireman" list after his 25 years of service but in my opinion only his first 5 years of that were useful. But, you have to respect all the other years guys put in. Sometimes, people get burnt out, fed up with change or things not going the way they want it to. Several times, instead of removing themselves from the situation or living with it they tend to make everyone else's lives hell until they are forced to leave. It's sad but that is the way some people are.

Just my two cents...

For the record...

that wasn't that hard to give this guy my honest answer instead of belittling his question!

Stay Safe!

FD5
    yes just think about what this guy did in the past, maybe the chief ruined his career back in the day. You never know, he might have saved 100 people responding POV when no one else was available.

Leave a comment:

• GVFD5
    replied
    Breech,

Here is my question... Has his attitude been this bad all 10+ years he has been on the department and has he just recently failed to meet his % of calls obligation?

If those actions are a recent problem (just the last 2 years or so) he probably is deserving of the "recognition". I understand your frustration we just recently put a guy on our "Executive Fireman" list after his 25 years of service but in my opinion only his first 5 years of that were useful. But, you have to respect all the other years guys put in. Sometimes, people get burnt out, fed up with change or things not going the way they want it to. Several times, instead of removing themselves from the situation or living with it they tend to make everyone else's lives hell until they are forced to leave. It's sad but that is the way some people are.

Just my two cents...

For the record...

In the time you likely spent typing that book you could have practiced tying a dozen knots, worked on your turnout donning speed, swept the floor at the firehouse etc...

This is not your first long-winded post complaining about your dept. Spend your fire dept related time becoming a better firefighter, not bashing your dept and playing politics. Don't sweat the stuff you have no control over. People will then take you more seriously.

Also, try to make your point in a few small paragraphs.

Example...

Mickey Mouse was made honerary chief of the Dinseyland Fire Dept.

He's not qualified but Goofy is.

What should I do???
    that wasn't that hard to give this guy my honest answer instead of belittling his question!

Stay Safe!

FD5

Leave a comment:

• Breech31
    replied
    Originally posted by WBFD25 View Post
    I agree, let it go. He served 10 plus years. In my department, that's grounds for recognition and a similar title if you leave.

Over the years in my department I've seen guys removed for less and also for a lot more than what you described. We still recognized them, even though the majority of the membership would agree they didn't really deserve it based on their actions at the end. But as I said, we still recognized them.

Keep in mind, for over 10+ years, he still gave of his time to the community and the department, whether you agreed with him all the time or not. Take the time to let him have his final moment and be recognized for the good he did do.
    WBFD, Thanks for your valid and 'palatable' response.

Leave a comment:

• Breech31
    replied
    Originally posted by Blulakr View Post
    In the time you likely spent typing that book you could have practiced tying a dozen knots, worked on your turnout donning speed, swept the floor at the firehouse etc...

This is not your first long-winded post complaining about your dept. Spend your fire dept related time becoming a better firefighter, not bashing your dept and playing politics. Don't sweat the stuff you have no control over. People will then take you more seriously.

Example...

What should I do???
    Blulkr, thanks for your reply. I don't see where i've been "long winded" or "complained" or "bashed my dept."...ever. Also, if my post is too long for you to read, might I suggest you stop reading and move along to another topic? Regarding " Don't sweat the stuff you have no control over. People will then take you more seriously," I would beg to differ with you in the matter of people taking me more seriously. If I don't agree with something, I don't roll over and make like a dead fish. Being on the 'honorary firefighter' plaque and being firefighter in general means something. I dont' think it's something that should just be given out as some sort of parting gift. Him being put on that board makes everything everyone else did on that board less significant. If he gets put on it, then "Hell, anyone can be an honorary firefighter."

Leave a comment:

• WBFD25
    replied
    I agree, let it go. He served 10 plus years. In my department, that's grounds for recognition and a similar title if you leave.

Over the years in my department I've seen guys removed for less and also for a lot more than what you described. We still recognized them, even though the majority of the membership would agree they didn't really deserve it based on their actions at the end. But as I said, we still recognized them.

Keep in mind, for over 10+ years, he still gave of his time to the community and the department, whether you agreed with him all the time or not. Take the time to let him have his final moment and be recognized for the good he did do.

Leave a comment:

• ChiefKN
    replied
    Why do people come on here and give very little information about a fire company problem and seek advice??

Seriously, do you really expect to get a qualified answer?

Leave a comment:

• Blulakr
    replied

Example...

What should I do???

Leave a comment:

• JayDudley
    replied
    Meeting

Turn the page and let it go......

Leave a comment:

• enginhouse2
    replied
    We're just getting one side of the story so judgement from here is impossible. The majority voted yea. If you push the issue now your stirring the pot and your a minority. Obviosly those who see it your way and voted the other won't be there to back you. Let it go.

Leave a comment:

• CaptOldTimer
    replied
    Originally posted by DeputyMarshal View Post
    If it's just a "thank you" as you described, who cares? Majority rules and you're obvioulsy in the minority.

Let it go. Your attitude about this just comes across as sour grapes.
    I agree. Let it go. If it was passed, then you have no recourse even to bring it back to the table next month!

Leave a comment:

300x600 Ad Unit (In-View)

Collapse

Upper 300x250

Collapse

Taboola

Collapse

Leader

Collapse
Working...
X