No announcement yet.

What is the role of a “first responder"

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

FF319, Thanks for the info. I don't know about the legalities of directing traffic and I'm fairly new but from what i've seen around here it's just kind of the way it's done that if there is not a fire or other needs for the firefighters to handle then they direct traffic if necessary. I'll have to look further into that.

As far as EMT being able to do more, from what I've been told our county EMS is willing to sponsor firefighters who want to hold an EMT certificate but will not allow you to operate above CFR so Although I'd be certified to do more I would not be allowed to do more. Plus the county will pay for CFR, I'd have to go out of pocket for EMT which is the only reason I probably won't do it.

Thanks again.
    Eric

Comment

Originally posted by tree68 View Post
      In NY, volunteer FF's can direct traffic. I've completed the "fire police" course and have been duly sworn in. I don't have any police powers (ie, arrest) as such, but I can do crowd control and traffic control at incidents.

We often don't have enough law enforcement available to handle the traffic control aspect of an MVA, but we almost always have enough fire police, and we can always call for mutual aid, which we recently did for a bad accident at a busy rural intersection. One of the logical points to re-route traffic was in a neighboring department's district and we called on them to handle it.
      To my knowledge, TN does not have or recognize fire police.

Originally posted by EGregory View Post
      FF319, Thanks for the info. I don't know about the legalities of directing traffic and I'm fairly new but from what i've seen around here it's just kind of the way it's done that if there is not a fire or other needs for the firefighters to handle then they direct traffic if necessary. I'll have to look further into that.

As far as EMT being able to do more, from what I've been told our county EMS is willing to sponsor firefighters who want to hold an EMT certificate but will not allow you to operate above CFR so Although I'd be certified to do more I would not be allowed to do more. Plus the county will pay for CFR, I'd have to go out of pocket for EMT which is the only reason I probably won't do it.

Thanks again.
      Eric
      Next time you make a wreck with the Troopers, ask them about the legality. We had a Trooper cuse the dog stew out of a deputy for passing the buck of traffic control. The deputy said he had more important things to do and that was what FFs are for. The Troopers had command of the scene. The deputy was released and his Sgt. got a call.

My dept. continues to do traffic control despite being told nummerous times. I am very aware of dealing with limmited manpower and police that will not respond to assisst. I was just giving you a heads up. We have to do what we have to do to keep are people safe.

I understand not becoming an EMT. If you had to pay for either the EMT would be the way to go. The classes are so similar. If you continue to further you education you will see what I am talking about. Also, TN is about to change its EMT ranking structutre and education standards. It will be more money and more work to become a Basic EMT in the next few years. If you plan on becoming a career firefighter, being an EMT will help more than being a FF. Comming from a rural medic, it is nice to have a competent EMT on scene that can help with a critical patient.
      FF/Paramedic

Comment

300x600 Ad Unit (In-View)

Collapse

Upper 300x250

Collapse

Taboola

Collapse

Leader

Collapse
      Working...
      X