X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• BigT
    replied
    Originally posted by MeadowGlen View Post
    . Im also in the same boat as you as student/FF.
    That is most excellent. Do you mind sharing your personal experience as a student and a volunteer?

Leave a comment:

• BigT
    replied
    Just giving an update my brothers. The FD has officially ended their career FF hiring process. My assumption is that during the summer they will begin bringing on volunteers. Keep your fingers crossed...

Leave a comment:

• MeadowGlen
    replied
    . Im also in the same boat as you as student/FF.
    Last edited by MeadowGlen; 02-24-2011, 10:09 PM. Reason: D

Leave a comment:

• Eng34FF
    replied
    Originally posted by jam24u View Post
    With that high a call volume for a volunteer (or is it a combo) department, I would imagine you are trying to keep as high a membership as possible.

Dedication from volunteer firefighters is extraordinary, but having to carry the load for members that feel they have an excuse not to make as many runs can wear on those dedicated FF's.

Has anyone ever noticed that membership from certain employer or employment location, tend to participate less than other FF's do? In our county the largest employer who also pays a very high wage and offers a 4 day per week job has the lowest participation when it comes to attending meetings, training and responding. I cannot put my finger on why they are like this, but every new application for membership which has them as an employee of this plant, always ends up having minor involvement.

Wonder if it is the same in other areas?
    Ours is an all volunteer department, in fact the entire county is still volunteer.

As tree mentioned, we have almost the opposite. We are fortunate to have several people who work shift work and are able to staff the station during the day.

It does get frustrating having people who can't run as much as others. I myself get frustrated when I can't help up as much as others. It's just the nature of the beast and we try to remember that those that aren't running as much are hopefully helping out in other ways.

Leave a comment:

• tree68
    replied
    Originally posted by jam24u View Post
    Has anyone ever noticed that membership from certain employer or employment location, tend to participate less than other FF's do?
    I've encountered the opposite - one employer in particular was very open to their FF employees leaving.

Perhaps it would do well to investigate - there might be a company policy or philosophy involved. You never know - discussing the issue with the company could provide that insight or perhaps lead to the company visibly supporting the fire service, which might increase the participation from those members.

If this is a major employer in your area partnering with them could be a good thing. Offering to do a walk-through to familiarize your FF's with the layout and fire load might be a good start.

Too, there may be an economic side. If said employer has mostly low wage employees, second jobs may well be a reason for reduced participation.

Leave a comment:

• jam24u
    replied
    Originally posted by Eng34FF View Post
    Like mentioned before, everyplace is different. We are issued a pager once we are through training and have maintained a minimum call volume for a while. We try to keep a minimum staffing at the station all of the time. Everybody is expected to run either a day evening or overnight duty every week. Home response is used to staff the 2nd piece. We run just over 2000 calls a year.
    With that high a call volume for a volunteer (or is it a combo) department, I would imagine you are trying to keep as high a membership as possible.

Dedication from volunteer firefighters is extraordinary, but having to carry the load for members that feel they have an excuse not to make as many runs can wear on those dedicated FF's.

Has anyone ever noticed that membership from certain employer or employment location, tend to participate less than other FF's do? In our county the largest employer who also pays a very high wage and offers a 4 day per week job has the lowest participation when it comes to attending meetings, training and responding. I cannot put my finger on why they are like this, but every new application for membership which has them as an employee of this plant, always ends up having minor involvement.

Wonder if it is the same in other areas?

Leave a comment:

• Eng34FF
    replied
    Originally posted by BigT View Post
    So I'm a little new to the process, but how does volunteer FFing actually work? Do vollies pull shifts at the house or what? I've read other forums that mention beepers for volunteers and I'm not sure how the whole process works once you've gone through training.
    Like mentioned before, everyplace is different. We are issued a pager once we are through training and have maintained a minimum call volume for a while. We try to keep a minimum staffing at the station all of the time. Everybody is expected to run either a day evening or overnight duty every week. Home response is used to staff the 2nd piece. We run just over 2000 calls a year.

Leave a comment:

• tree68
    replied
    We all get a pager (plus we have text-on-dispatch on our cell phones available) and respond when available. At just over 100 calls a year, with half of them strictly EMS, it's just not worth keeping people in the station. After a while they'd get tired of preplans, scut work and sitting around and would stop showing up anyhow.

Leave a comment:

• TenEight
    replied
    Originally posted by BigT View Post
    So I'm a little new to the process, but how does volunteer FFing actually work? Do vollies pull shifts at the house or what? I've read other forums that mention beepers for volunteers and I'm not sure how the whole process works once you've gone through training.
    It varies from department to department.

I don't know what your local department does but we have a low enough call volume (we are strictly fire, no rescue) that we don't have shifts at the station. We are each issued a portable radio and a pager and whenever a call goes off members respond to the station. We have one mandatory work night every week.

Leave a comment:

• BigT
    replied

Leave a comment:

• backsteprescue
    replied
    We have a pretty good sized college in our first due (25k students or something along those lines) and a few others at least that big within a 20 mile radius and all of our younger firefighters are also in college or in trade school. Around here college age people volunteering on departments is pretty common.

Leave a comment:

• BigT
    replied
    Originally posted by FireRescueLupo View Post
    Though it is a volunteer department or portion of the department they still may only have a certain number of positions. You have to remember that it costs money for gear, equipment and training for every member. I am sure the money on gear is passed down since most volunteers or rookies at least start out in used turnouts. It might have to do with training like you stated, they may bring on a set number and send them all through a training program so they build a little teamwork and fellowship amongst them.
    That makes sense. I'll just have to keep my eyes open for the opportunity. In the mean time, the rec center here on campus is offering some rescue style classes. I was thinking about signing up for the following:

CPR/AED for the Professional Rescuer: Topics covered include: recognizing and handling breathing and cardiac emergencies in adults, children and infants; two-rescuer CPR; use of resuscitation mask and bag-valve-mask; and using an AED on victims of sudden cardiac arrest. This certification lasts for 1 year.

Does that seem like a good idea since I am not certain when I can start fire training?

Leave a comment:

• FireRescueLupo
    replied
    Though it is a volunteer department or portion of the department they still may only have a certain number of positions. You have to remember that it costs money for gear, equipment and training for every member. I am sure the money on gear is passed down since most volunteers or rookies at least start out in used turnouts. It might have to do with training like you stated, they may bring on a set number and send them all through a training program so they build a little teamwork and fellowship amongst them. Just keep poking around at it and there will be an opening. Like before if you can get any medical training before hand that would help tremendously. Be it just the CPR or if you can get into an EMT or First Responder it all helps. Good luck to you and most importantly keep the grades up, volunteering is a very VERY rewarding thing and it does take a lot of time and it is easy to get caught up in it and get "addicted" and let other portions of your life slip.

Leave a comment:

• BigT
    replied
    I was under the impression that the PFA application was for career firefighters. When I spoke with the volunteer coordinator, that's what he told me at least. Thanks for locating those other departments. I wasn't able to find anything on the Platte River FD however. Do you mind posting the link?

Leave a comment:

• KuhShise
    replied
    BigT: In just a couple of minutes of looking, it seems like the main fire protection organization is Poudre Fire Authority. It appears to be a paid organization, and they are taking applications beginning January 24th for nesw recruits. There are two additional organizations in your area that are volunteer (Wellington/Waverly Volunteer Fire Department and the Platte River Fire Department) that are truely volunteer companies. You will find that a background in physics can be a definite asset in dealing with most things in the fire service. After a career of 40+ years, I am still finding things that I don't fully understand, but everything I have experienced follows the laws of physics. Problem is, sometimes we don't recognize the cause or the result as being tied together by what laws. The more you learn about this business, the more there is to learn!

Leave a comment:

300x600 Ad Unit (In-View)

Collapse

Upper 300x250

Collapse

Taboola

Collapse

Leader

Collapse
Working...
X