Loose POV Lighting/Siren Laws

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Loose POV Lighting/Siren Laws

Virginia is very strict on the use of POV lighting and sirens. We aren't allowed sirens and are allowed a maximum of two lights in one direction. No grille lights, headlight flashers, or takedowns.

I was just curious as to how open other state's laws are toward POV lighting/sirens.

Sigh.......I'll make the popcorn if someone else brings the beer...

Here, you are aloud 1 unit 360 degrees, 1 dash light. No funky colors, just blue. Chiefs have reds with a wailer. Try checking google, or the search feature here, and get ready for all the flack you are about to take. This topic gets started on a monthy, sometimes weekly basis and I think the novelty of it has warn off.....If you're new, try researching training ideas and what classes you should take, and worry about the whacker lights some other day....
    Matt G.
    Battalion Chief
    IACOJ-Member
    FTM-PTB

Comment

I used the search feature, and couldn't find what section this went in to begin with, nor did I find any of the answers I was looking for, that is the reason I posted here. I am not new and am pretty well experienced I was just looking into different state's laws on vehicle lighting as I am planning a move soon.

Comment

I had the same question but after i searched here and saw the many many many many threads here i came to the conclusion that this topic was beaten to death. So i searched google and here and got all the answers i ever wanted and then some.

Comment

Originally posted by Firefighter1466 View Post
          Virginia is very strict on the use of POV lighting and sirens. We aren't allowed sirens and are allowed a maximum of two lights in one direction. No grille lights, headlight flashers, or takedowns.

I was just curious as to how open other state's laws are toward POV lighting/sirens.

You didn't look to hard.

Check here --- http://leg1.state.va.us/cgi-bin/legp...+cod+46.2-1061

http://www.firehouse.com/forums/show...s+pov+virginia
          Stay Safe and Well Out There....

Always remembering 9-11-2001 and 343+ Brothers

Comment

Yeah I was just wondering what states actually more freely allow multiple lights like you see some of the emergency vehicles decked out with. Grill lights headlight flashers takedowns and dash lights. My uncle told me when he lived in Ohio several years ago as a volunteer that they were allowed pretty much anything. I'm sure this has changed.

Comment

Here in Nebraska it is left up to the local counties as to how crazy it gets. In Buffalo County it is pretty open. Our sheriff decides what our red light rules are. You must file an application with his office. I don't believe we are allowed sirens but I havn't heard of anyone that would want to try that either. He is not aftraid to pull your red light licence if you are not obeying the law either. Personally I have a dash light (red/blue strobe) and headlight strobes. I only use my headlight strobes when I am coming up on county intersections (with no stop signs) in the dark. Seems to help make me more visible while responding to calls. Good luck

Stay Safe!

FD5
              "EVERYONE GOES HOME... ALWAYS"

"Let no mans ghost come back to say his training let him down."

Comment

Originally posted by GVFD5 View Post
                Here in Nebraska it is left up to the local counties as to how crazy it gets. In Buffalo County it is pretty open. Our sheriff decides what our red light rules are. You must file an application with his office. I don't believe we are allowed sirens but I havn't heard of anyone that would want to try that either. He is not aftraid to pull your red light licence if you are not obeying the law either. Personally I have a dash light (red/blue strobe) and headlight strobes. I only use my headlight strobes when I am coming up on county intersections (with no stop signs) in the dark. Seems to help make me more visible while responding to calls. Good luck

Stay Safe!

FD5

Hey Pal, this answers all questions about lights.

Look at this link for all you would ever want to know.

http://www.firehouse.com/forums/show...s+pov+virginia

Comment

You should read 46.2-1024 a little more closely. It says nothing about what direction they can be in, nor that you can't have grill lights.

ยง 46.2-1024. Flashing or steady-burning red or red and white warning lights.

Any member of a fire department, volunteer fire company, or volunteer rescue squad, any ambulance driver employed by a privately owned ambulance service, and any police chaplain may equip one vehicle owned by him with no more than two flashing or steady-burning red or red and white combination warning lights of types approved by the Superintendent. Warning lights permitted by this section shall be lit only when answering emergency calls

You are correct we can't have sirens or flashing headlights. If it was up to me, we wouldn't be able to use lights anyway unless the vehicle was stationary.
                  Career Fire Captain
                  Volunteer Chief Officer

Never taking for granted that I'm privileged enough to have the greatest job in the world!

Comment

Originally posted by CaptOldTimer View Post

Yes, I did look hard. As I stated, that thread didn't contain the information I was looking for. I read all 15 or 16 pages of that thread. And I don't know why you posted the first link, I know what my state's laws are, I never requested information on them. So please don't come onto my thread to flame me saying I just posted without reading, especially when that's not the case.

Thanks

Comment

Yes, I did look hard. As I stated, that thread didn't contain the information I was looking for. I read all 15 or 16 pages of that thread. And I don't know why you posted the first link, I know what my state's laws are, I never requested information on them. So please don't come onto my thread to flame me saying I just posted without reading, especially when that's not the case.Thanks

Your Thread? This isn't your thread sonny.

It belongs to the members of this site and to FireHouse.com

No one flame you. Why are you so worried about other states laws on pov lights? You can run the lights of a car titled in Virginia, in lets say Ohio or other states.
                      Last edited by CaptOldTimer; 12-10-2010, 04:35 PM.

Comment

Alright...seriously folks just back the hell off already. I know all you seasoned veteren firefighters absolutely hate POV lights. And you know what that is just fine and dandy. But unless someone starts a topic titled "Hey, come here and complain about POV lights" Keep your opinions and pet peeves to yourself, I honestly dont wanna hear em unless I ask for em.

Truth is that some of us have the ability to purchase, install and use emergency lighting in our personal vehicles. And if we want to disscuss that with others who do the same, then what should you care? Nobody is forcing you to reply here, just ignor the topic and move on.

Now for those who are here to actually take part in the disscussion and not just spew your unwanted opinions on the subject matter. In the state of Vermont, there is pretty much no restriction on our "Emergency light permits" The only restrictions are ones inacted by the Dept. head (That old grumpy guy with the white helmet) On our Dept. Senior firefighters or those in "good standing" are allowed to install and operate any red/white/amber light on their personal vehicles. But they are not allowed to instal sirens. Only officers are permitted to install a siren on their POV.

Myself personally, I don't have nor see the need at the current time to install or use emergency lighting on my vehicles. If I were to be promoted, then I would most likely consider it.
                        Opinions expressed by myself here are just that, mine. And not that of ANY organization or service I am affiliated with.

Comment

Myself and boxalrm have not, on this thread said anything that would be taken as we don't like lights on pov's.

I had them on my car back in the 1960's when I was also a volunteer in a town where in live. I ran them very seldom.

I gave a link where he or the guy from Nebraska could go to and read the 20 or so pages on lights.

I could care less how many anyone hangs on their car, truck, bulldozer or whatever they drive.

BoxAlarm and I gave references to the laws of the Commonwealth of Virginia.

As I told the young man I didn't flame anyone. I did report him for saying I did in a public forum.
                          Last edited by CaptOldTimer; 12-10-2010, 04:47 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by CaptOldTimer View Post
                            Myself and boxalrm have not, on this thread said anything that would be taken as we don't like lights on pov's.

I had them on my car back in the 1960's when I was also a volunteer in a town where in live. I ran them very seldom.

I gave a link where he or the guy from Nebraska could go to and read the 20 or so pages on lights.

I could care less how many anyone hangs on their car, truck, bulldozer or whatever they drive.

BoxAlarm and I gave references to the laws of the Commonwealth of Virginia.

As I told the young man I didn't flame anyone. I did report him for saying I did in a public forum.
                            I didn't ask for you to give me advice about lights, I am pretty well versed in what I can and can't do. I believe in my respectful response to firefighter1466 I told him what the regualtions were in my area (which, if you fully read his initial request is what he asked for). You are coming across rather disrespectful and as someone else said if you don't want to look at this thread or answer this gentlemans question respectfully then remove yourself from the conversation. It really isn't rocket science. You are yet to answer the question firefighter1466 origionally asked.

Stay Safe

FD5
                            "EVERYONE GOES HOME... ALWAYS"

"Let no mans ghost come back to say his training let him down."

Comment

Well.......

ALL of us are NOT united in a Conspiracy to outlaw Warning Lights on POVs over the entire World. My POVs have Warning Lights. I rarely use them, but They are there if the situation Warrants. The Rear facing LEDS are used when I'm stopped on a Road anywhere. 99.9% of the Problems with Lights on POVs are not the Lights, but the Dim Bulb that controls the Off/On Switch. I firmly expect to still be at my current address when I die, but if I were moving, sure, I'd be looking up info on Volunteering wherever I might be going. End of Story........
                              Never use Force! Get a Bigger Hammer.
                              In memory of
                              Chief Earle W. Woods, 1912 - 1997
                              Asst. Chief John R. Woods Sr. 1937 - 2006

IACOJ Budget Analyst

I Refuse to be a Spectator. If I come to the Game, I'm Playing.

www.gdvfd18.com

Comment

300x600 Ad Unit (In-View)

Collapse

Upper 300x250

Collapse

Taboola

Collapse

Leader

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X