No announcement yet.

God Bless You, Captain [Funny... to me]

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I don't see why there is such an issue between career and volunteer firefighters. For the most part they do the same job, just one type happens to get a little more compensation for their efforts. When I first started down the path of the fire service, I was doing a ride-along with a career department near me. A captain, who is their training officer and who I did my ride in the morning with, asked me why I wanted to come down and observe the operations of the department. I told him that for some extra credit in a class I could do a job shadow so I thought this would be the coolest thing I could pick. I had grown up in a volunteer fire department setting, my dad has been a volunteer his whole life. I told him I wanted to kind of experience the professional side of the fire service. He looked at me and said I think you mean career, those guys risk their lives just as much as we do, and do the same exact job as we do, only they do everything for free. I respect all firefighters for what they do, especially those who lose their life in the line of duty. I don't think any career firefighter does it for the money, and no volunteer seeks repayment. In the end, we all do it for the same reasons.

Comment

Let's face it - everybody wants/needs something to brag about. For some it's the make of truck or car, some support sports teams, etc. Many simply show their preference, others are rabid about it.

We see the same thing here, career or volunteer. Some go about their business in relative obscurity, others make no bones about their affiliation.

In general, this country makes a big deal of volunteers - be they servers at a soup kitchen, little league coaches, "adopt-a-highway", or den mothers. Such volunteers are taught to be proud of their efforts.

Volunteer firefighters are no different, even if they tend to be a bit more 'rabid' than the den mothers. Sometimes a bit toorabid.

The railfan business has a certain element of that - there are folks who like trains and enjoy seeing them from time to time, and there are those who will paint their vehicle in the colors of their favorite railroad. And there is sometimes disdain from those on the railroad side for those on the railfan side.

Don't think there isn't a certain amount of pride involved when I tell folks I'm a volunteer conductor.

By and large, I think we all get along. There will always be those who test the limits at both ends of the spectrum, but we still manage to survive.
      Opinions my own. Standard disclaimers apply.

Everyone goes home. Safety begins with you.

Comment

Originally posted by tree68 View Post
        Let's face it - everybody wants/needs something to brag about. For some it's the make of truck or car, some support sports teams, etc. Many simply show their preference, others are rabid about it.

We see the same thing here, career or volunteer. Some go about their business in relative obscurity, others make no bones about their affiliation.

In general, this country makes a big deal of volunteers - be they servers at a soup kitchen, little league coaches, "adopt-a-highway", or den mothers. Such volunteers are taught to be proud of their efforts.

Volunteer firefighters are no different, even if they tend to be a bit more 'rabid' than the den mothers. Sometimes a bit toorabid.

The railfan business has a certain element of that - there are folks who like trains and enjoy seeing them from time to time, and there are those who will paint their vehicle in the colors of their favorite railroad. And there is sometimes disdain from those on the railroad side for those on the railfan side.

Don't think there isn't a certain amount of pride involved when I tell folks I'm a volunteer conductor.

By and large, I think we all get along. There will always be those who test the limits at both ends of the spectrum, but we still manage to survive.
        I am not saying don't be proud of yourself and your FD if you volunteer, heck I do and I am proud (most days anyways!). What i am saying is you can be proud of being a volunteer ANYTHING without having to do it at the expense of downgrading someone else. I am proud that I am a career firefighter too but I do not downgrade volunteers because of it.
        Crazy, but that's how it goes
        Millions of people living as foes
        Maybe it's not too late
        To learn how to love, and forget how to hate

Comment

Originally posted by FyredUp View Post
          I am not saying don't be proud of yourself and your FD if you volunteer, heck I do and I am proud (most days anyways!). What i am saying is you can be proud of being a volunteer ANYTHING without having to do it at the expense of downgrading someone else. I am proud that I am a career firefighter too but I do not downgrade volunteers because of it.
          Totally agreed.

Some years ago, my ex worked in an office with several other women.

Topic of the moment was whichever woman wasn't there.

Heck, I didn't even father my own child! (At least to hear those old biddies tell it - and they didn't know me from Adam).

I've encountered far too many people who apparently had feelings of inadequacy and made up for it not by elevating themselves, but by running down anyone they felt was "better" than them.

And we all know how that bully thing works.
          Opinions my own. Standard disclaimers apply.

Everyone goes home. Safety begins with you.

Comment

Originally posted by FyredUp View Post
            DING DING.. what he said.

In general there are *********s everywhere, and too much time is spent dealing with them, and their fallout.
            So you call this your free country
            Tell me why it costs so much to live
            -3dd

Comment

We have all heard --- " the fire doesnt care whether your paid or volunteer -- the fire burns just as hot etc."
              But for some reason - some people think that the impact of an injury or LODD (or any of the personal issues that come with the job)has less emonital impact on the family, because a fireman was drawing a check.
              If you are going to play the "were all equal" card -- it needs to cut both ways. Dont dismiss the sacrifices that a career fireman has to make just because he took a job filling a need in the community.
              ?

Comment

In my area, the call volumes vary greatly between FT and Volly departments, so given an equal amount of time in the service, the FT guys have a lot more experience. But, there are very few FT guys/gals who can afford to live in the larger towns and cities in Maine, so they almost all live in rural areas and volunteer. Which is awesome for the volly departments as we get to tap into their experience. We are trained as well as the FT guys but they get to DO much more than we do.

My answer to the two young ladies would have been, because the pay is terrible.

Comment

some guys out there think volunteers are devil spawn
                  Benton Fire District Four
                  Ladder One
                  First Due!

Caddo Parish Fire District 1
                  Career Firefighter/Paramedic

When things get rough, just say:
                  Acabo de perder cinco minutos de su vida.

Comment

And some volleys think they are Gods chosen few.
                    ?

Comment

I have the up most respect for a career guy or gal. I know a career ff may have more experience than a vollie. I'm not saying that a career ff with one year is going to have more than a vollie with 20 yrs exp. I'm saying like me who has only been a vollie for a little over a year will not have the same amout of experience and training as a career ff that has been paid for a year. I have to work harder to get the training. Because it just simple comes slower. I read as much as I can. I go practice with hoses and other things at the station. I take the classes that come around. I have to ask for someone with the experence to take time to teach me new things. Because the two nights a month for training just isn't enough. It would take forever to learn anything. It's just harder to get the training. I'm 34 yr. old and I love volunteering, but I also love doing what I get paid to do also. I have no intention of becoming a career guy. I will on the other hand.. continue to take in as much as possible to be safe and serve the community around me. I vollie in two dept. (one in the small town I live in and the other is about 4 miles outside of town).There are career guys on both depts. that volunteer. I will learn from them just like I do from the others. I may be wrong, but I think the difference between paid vs. volunteer is a paid guy loves it so much that it is the only thing they want to do.
                      Last edited by Hotrod454; 12-11-2010, 03:08 PM.

Comment

As a full time ( I work 3 days a week ) volunteer firefighter ( our engine house is always manned by volunteers 24/7 ). I simply ignore rude comments by career firefighters that surround us. We do our jobs the same as paid guys do. We take the same risks as them on scene. We provide them mutual aid the same as they do,us.We are the only all Vol. department in our county, so we are not thought highly of,but it's ok. I forgive them and move on.

Comment

Originally posted by Tony4310 View Post
                          I forgive them and move on.
                          I am sure they will sleep better each night knowing this now.
                          Co 11
                          Virginia Beach FD

Amateurs practice until they get it right; professionals practice until they cannot get it wrong. Which one are you?

'The fire went out and nobody got hurt' is a poor excuse for a fireground critique.

Comment

Originally posted by JohnVBFD View Post
                            I am sure they will sleep better each night knowing this now.
                            I know I do

Comment

I don't get it. Maybe it's just me. I started (and still am) a volly and worked as a career ff for a few years. Due to cutbacks, I was laid off unfortunately, but the job I had required certs and experience that I obtained through being a volunteer. The job is the same. The gear is the same. The apparatus is the same. The fire is hot. Yet some people seem to think that receiving or not receiving a pay check makes you better than the opposite. There in lies the problem; "OPPOSITE". I've heard that word used to describe the two all too often. We are not, we are the same. A lot of US, paid or volley, hold the same values, do it for the same reasons, and so on. When people ask me if I am career or volunteer, my response is the same. Neither, I am a PROFESSIONAL. Respect of a firefighter for me was never determined based upon status.
                              Matt G.
                              Battalion Chief
                              IACOJ-Member
                              FTM-PTB

Comment

I think I know exactly what those young ladies were getting at, I see it all the time (from a female perspective). It's a simple case of self esteem issues for some people. Some of these young women want to be with a cop, firefighter, EMT, military guy for one reason: their self esteem is based on what their spouse/boyfriend does for a living. I live in a military town, I see it all day long. A good majority the girls here are so intent on hooking up with an SF dude, firefighter or cop. It is almost pathetic and sad.
                                I respect the ladies that have lives of their own. I am not saying women should not be proud of their husband. But there are more than a few that take that to the extreme. I find it particularly annoying when a wife will say, "hi, and so-and-so. My husband is so-and-so, he's SF. Who cares. Honestly.
                                But that's just my perspective, as screwed up as it may seem.

As far as the paid vs. vol. thing goes, I love being a volunteer. I am considering going to a full time department, but after 20 years in the military, I am kind of burnt out on the full time thing. I respect any man or women who will willingly fight a fire, paid or otherwise.

Comment

300x600 Ad Unit (In-View)

Collapse

Upper 300x250

Collapse

Taboola

Collapse

Leader

Collapse
                                Working...
                                X