Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• FIREguy2011
    replied
    Only if they are mounted (IE: permanent), and then you have to have a letter from said organization claiming liability, (so just stick with magnetics or windowlights.

Leave a comment:

• BSFD9302
    replied
    Originally posted by FIREguy2011 View Post
    I currently work at a mainstream insurance company, doing office stuff until I get my license, but when you put an application in the computer, it doesn't ask what the vehicle is used for; pleasure, farm or work, thats it.
    In the standard policy of your carrier what does it say about having e-lights and sirens on your vehicle? Mine clearly states they are not allowed. I can get an insurance policy that will allow e-lights and siren but it is beyond the scope of reason in cost. Besides I wouldn't have them anyway.

Leave a comment:

• FIREguy2011
    replied
    I currently work at a mainstream insurance company, doing office stuff until I get my license, but when you put an application in the computer, it doesn't ask what the vehicle is used for; pleasure, farm or work, thats it.

Leave a comment:

• LVFD301
    replied
    Originally posted by Leeland View Post
    I'm not sure what my insurance company would say if they knew I was a volunteer. I don't use my POV as an emergence response vehicle unless the incident is real close by to home and I do take my time getting to the scene. I'm too far to do a home response which has gone the way of the dinosaur and I don't think anybody does it anymore.
    I would venture that the dinosaur is still alive and well in other parts of the world from yours. It is very common here in the land of departments that cover 200 square miles, 4 times that on auto aid for structure fires.

Leave a comment:

• oldtrackmedic
    replied
    Check with the fire department's policy. Some insurance companies insure your vehicle on the way to the firehouse. (i.e. you get in a wreck on the way to the firehouse after a page, the FD insurance covers it). While other FD insurance companies only cover what isn't covered by your insurance. I know with our department that was a big selling item...

Leave a comment:

• N2DFire
    replied
    Hey Neighbor (I'm down in Franklin),

First of all to clarify for everyone else (and you in case you didn't know)

In the Commonwealth of Virginia:
    - Your POV is not, can not, will not ever be considered an Emergency Vehicle.
    - Limited amounts, colors, and locations of lights are allowed on your POV - No sirens
    - Warning Lights on your POV are considered "courtesy lights" and merely a request for the right-of-way. Others are NOT required to yield to you & you must obey ALL traffic regulations (Incl. speed limit)

That being said, in the event you are in an accident of some sort while responding to a call AND you were obeying all traffic regulations - then your insurance will cover you the same as if you were driving to get groceries.

There should be absolutely no effect on your rates for being a volunteer firefighter - if they do say they will raise your rates because of that you should at a minimum find a new carrier.

Hope that helps answer your question.

Leave a comment:

• pasobuff
    replied
    Originally posted by Leeland View Post
    I'm not sure what my insurance company would say if they knew I was a volunteer. I don't use my POV as an emergence response vehicle unless the incident is real close by to home and I do take my time getting to the scene. I'm too far to do a home response which has gone the way of the dinosaur and I don't think anybody does it anymore.
    If your vehicle is not (legally) defined as an emergency response vehicle, it is still just a passenger vehicle you are driving to a scene.....you are still subject to all laws and regulations...and your insurance should not be affected by you being a volunteer or not.

My old insurance agent was also a fellow Vol. FF in my department - part of why I chose his firm....he was able to get me the BEST rate after I shopped around - from the other companies there was never even a question asked about me being a FF (or even EMS) responder.....

Leave a comment:

• Leeland
    replied

Leave a comment:

• Bushwhacker
    replied
    As a EVOC instructor, I will chime in. Showing that you have completed a Evoc class with most insurance companies will lower your rates as a individual. EVOC is considered a defensive driving course. Being a Firefighter has nothing to do with raising your rates, Lights, Sirens, using a POV as a Emergency vehicle however will.

Leave a comment:

• mcdonl
    replied
    Originally posted by BSFD9302 View Post
    Read you rpolicy, you may be shocked at what you CANNOT do or have on your vehicle.
    I run a small organic lawn restoration business, and I have those metalic signs... well... I USED to have those matalic signs. My insurance company made me ditch them or get commercial plates and commercial insurance.

Leave a comment:

• BSFD9302
    replied
    Read you rpolicy, you may be shocked at what you CANNOT do or have on your vehicle.

Anyway while responding your FD insurance should cover your vehicle, or at least ours does. We do not respond direct in POV though because that just causes congestion and confusion.

Leave a comment:

• JEB
    replied
    I get a 15% discount for being a FF on my auto insurance. I think they mention it in the All-State ad on TV as well.

It might be different if you use your vehicle for emergency responce, though our officers who often respond in their POVs for duty calls also get the discount.

We are not allowed to have lights on our POVs in MN.

Leave a comment:

• TNFF319
    replied
    Just keep hiding the fact you run lights. When you get in a wreck, your insurance will not cover it.

Leave a comment:

• goblin766
    replied
    i ask my ins company about my lights in my pov they said that they was find my ins didnt go up but if im running hot then im not covered if i get in a accident i do have to run pov at time to teh seine because of reg cab trucks

Leave a comment:

• CGITCH
    replied
    Our agent is on the department with me.

Leave a comment:

300x600 Ad Unit (In-View)

Collapse

Upper 300x250

Collapse

Taboola

Collapse

Leader