Personal Vehicle Insurance...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Personal Vehicle Insurance...

Just finished re-certing my EVOC this weekend and the instructor pointed out that the EVOC course in which we were enrolled was recognized as a Driver Improvement Course and a certificate of completion could be taken to our personal insurance company for rate reductions. However, he recommended we didn't take it to our insurance companies because on finding out that you are a volunteer firefighter the insurance company will hike your rates 2-3 times.

Any thoughts on this? Is it true?
    sigpic

In this world there's two kinds of people, my friend: Those with loaded guns and those who dig.

Originally posted by TenEight View Post
    Just finished re-certing my EVOC this weekend and the instructor pointed out that the EVOC course in which we were enrolled was recognized as a Driver Improvement Course and a certificate of completion could be taken to our personal insurance company for rate reductions. However, he recommended we didn't take it to our insurance companies because on finding out that you are a volunteer firefighter the insurance company will hike your rates 2-3 times.

I think that would depend on if you use your POV for responding to scenes. If you have a light and siren, then your insurance will go up.
    HAVE PLAN.............WILL TRAVEL

Comment

POV insurance

They will either cover you, cover you for an additional fee, or not cover you.

You REALLY need to talk to your insurance company. It will save you a world of headaches in the end. Just because you are inquiring with them, doesn't mean that you have lights and sirens and that you ARE responding in your POV.

Comment

Yes it's true. And when the Rock told me they were making my piece bigger, I told the VFD "Sorry, no blue lights for me!"
        "Loyalty Above all Else. Except Honor."

Comment

This will vary from state to state and will also depend on whether or not you use your POV as an emergency vehicle in those states that allow it.

Keep in mind that, if you do use it as an emergency vehicle and try to hide it from your insurance carrier, you're giving them grounds to invalidate your policy.

(FWIW, it's illegal to raise your insurance rate in CT just because you're a volunteer firefighter but it's also uncommon for POV's to be legitimate emergency vehicles here. Only Chiefs have that option and not all that many use it.)
          "Nemo Plus Voluptatis Quam Nos Habant"
          sigpic
          The Code is more what you'd call "guidelines" than actual rules.

Comment

Thanks, guys. I rarely respond to the scene in my vehicle (really, the only time is if I'm on the way to work) but I do run a single red light on my way to the station for calls.

I worry about talking with the insurance company but I already have FD tags so the cat may be out of the bag.
            Last edited by TenEight; 11-09-2010, 09:34 AM.
            sigpic

In this world there's two kinds of people, my friend: Those with loaded guns and those who dig.

Comment

My agent knows I'm a firefighter (he is, too, for a neighboring department). He's never even brought it up...
              Opinions my own. Standard disclaimers apply.

Everyone goes home. Safety begins with you.

Comment

Me too

Originally posted by tree68 View Post
                My agent knows I'm a firefighter (he is, too, for a neighboring department). He's never even brought it up...
                Same here.
                My agent is also a firefighter with a neighboring department and gave me the green light. For the actual topic of responding POV, this issue is discussed on another thread.

Comment

Our agent is on the department with me.

Comment

i ask my ins company about my lights in my pov they said that they was find my ins didnt go up but if im running hot then im not covered if i get in a accident i do have to run pov at time to teh seine because of reg cab trucks

Comment

Just keep hiding the fact you run lights. When you get in a wreck, your insurance will not cover it.
                      FF/Paramedic

Comment

I get a 15% discount for being a FF on my auto insurance. I think they mention it in the All-State ad on TV as well.

It might be different if you use your vehicle for emergency responce, though our officers who often respond in their POVs for duty calls also get the discount.

We are not allowed to have lights on our POVs in MN.

Comment

Read you rpolicy, you may be shocked at what you CANNOT do or have on your vehicle.

Anyway while responding your FD insurance should cover your vehicle, or at least ours does. We do not respond direct in POV though because that just causes congestion and confusion.

Comment

Originally posted by BSFD9302 View Post
                            Read you rpolicy, you may be shocked at what you CANNOT do or have on your vehicle.
                            I run a small organic lawn restoration business, and I have those metalic signs... well... I USED to have those matalic signs. My insurance company made me ditch them or get commercial plates and commercial insurance.

Comment

As a EVOC instructor, I will chime in. Showing that you have completed a Evoc class with most insurance companies will lower your rates as a individual. EVOC is considered a defensive driving course. Being a Firefighter has nothing to do with raising your rates, Lights, Sirens, using a POV as a Emergency vehicle however will.
                              Courage, Being Scared to Death and Saddling Up anyways.

Comment

300x600 Ad Unit (In-View)

Collapse

Upper 300x250

Collapse

Taboola

Collapse

Leader

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X