Hose Maintenance

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by islandfire03 View Post
    Just for reference, in IFSTA #103 "Fire Hose Practices" 6th edition 1974; Page 16

The standard you are using is from a book written 36 years ago. the hose in question back then was a completely different product. If you check with the manufacturers specs on the hose you are using today you will not see these recommendations. We have some 30 yo 3 inch in the back of the station with brass couplings that you can hardly unroll it's so stiff. Makes great dock bumpers though.
    I believe this was the point of BigNozzlePumper comment about monthly\quarterly hose maintenance. He wanted to know if anyone had heard of this requirement, I just cited where it could be found.
    The 30 rotation was to change the bends in the hose. Last hose off the truck was the last hose load back on the truck. Bad olds days. Glad they are gone.
    BTW: Many plants use brass coupling to this day, because of their property to resist chemicals.
    Many rookie schools require students to carry a piece of rope, for practicing knots. Back in the day it was a 8" triangle file, for dressing threads on brass couplings, and a 2.5 lb brass hammer for rounding couplings.

Comment

Makes great dock bumpers though.
      Actually I've been told that it doesn't, unless it's pretty soft. If it's too stiff (like the stuff that'll stand up by itself), it'll scratch the paint.....
      Opinions my own. Standard disclaimers apply.

Everyone goes home. Safety begins with you.

Comment

Originally posted by tree68 View Post
        Actually I've been told that it doesn't, unless it's pretty soft. If it's too stiff (like the stuff that'll stand up by itself), it'll scratch the paint.....
        We're dealing with working boats here, not pretty pleasure craft. A fishing trawler or lobster boat already has lots of scrapes and rub marks down the sides.

The summer folks buy the molded urethane bumpers for their floats. 38.00 / 3 ft section so they don't scuff the wax job.

Comment

We're dealing with working boats here, not pretty pleasure craft.
          Yeah - we're dealing with pleasure craft here in the 1000 islands and on the lake. Not much for working boats.
          Opinions my own. Standard disclaimers apply.

Everyone goes home. Safety begins with you.

Comment

I think we got a bunch of it laying around across the street in our storage area too. Maybe we will donate it to the people that run the marinas around our area. Not a bad idea as long as its fishing boats and such.....there is really no point of keeping it around taking up space.

Comment

300x600 Ad Unit (In-View)

Collapse

Upper 300x250

Collapse

Taboola

Collapse

Leader

Collapse
            Working...
            X