X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• tree68
    replied
    Originally posted by Leeland View Post
    Though the problem seems to be getting people to attend the classes.
    Seems to be a universal theme.

Leave a comment:

• Leeland
    replied
    As a few have mentioned MFRI usually has classes available at no costs to the volunteers. Though the problem seems to be getting people to attend the classes.

If you want to take EMT advanced you're kind of on your own though.

Leave a comment:

• LaFireEducator
    replied
    Our department is quite lucky as we have a fairly strong training budget.

We are also lucky in that LSU Fire training opened a campus for north LA about 5 miles from us 5 years ago. While it doesn't have the industrial or ARFF props of the main campus in Baton Rouge (about 4 hours south) it does have a nice burn building and some descent extinguisher and oilfield props. Some of the training is free but some of the training is quite pricey - $450 for a 40-hour extrication or rope rescue class as examples.

We also do quite a bit of training in east Texas at their regional schools. Excellent training at really reasonable prices - $50 for a 2-day rope rescue, confined space, RIT or fire attack class as examples.

We do send people to both the LSU Baton Rouge campus and TEEX at College Station as well. We have been lucky that in the past three years, the local refinery has picked up the tab to send 4 people per year including the class, the hotel and meals. We are attempting to get the National Guard facility we cover to send some of our people to Baton Rouge for the ARFF training as well as they are landing 5-8 choppers a week there now.

The department covers all class costs for any training which fits what we do. The department will also provide a vehicle and pay hotel costs (and parking costs in New Orleans). The department does not pay meal cost, except as noted above.

We are also quite lucky in that we have several Instructor Is & IIs who can deliver everything from FFI to technical rescue classes, so much of the training we often do in-house.

Leave a comment:

• monkybrainz
    replied
    Originally posted by bignozzlepumper View Post
    i am not that fortunate. We are a small department, and i have paid for all of my ifsac schooling, hotels, meals, trans, everything. I do not complain about it, i'm just thankful for the opportunity to go get my certs done to better serve the community. Someday, maybe, we will be a little better funded to help future firefighters who may not have the money to accomplish this.
    damn fine dedication bro!

Leave a comment:

• ChiefKN
    replied
    The township funds are used for all firematic costs.

Approved training is paid by the Chief utilizing Township funds. We have a van that is used for personnel to attend training.

Leave a comment:

• tree68
    replied
    Originally posted by hwoods View Post
    LaPlata have a Burn Building??........
    Nice burn building - great facility overall. I was there watching my son during his FF2 classes a couple of years ago. I've got pictures someplace...

Leave a comment:

• Eng34FF
    replied
    Originally posted by hwoods View Post
    Yep, It was under construction when I took FF1 about 8 or 9 years ago. Not as big as the one in College Park, but it gets the job done.

Leave a comment:

• hwoods
    replied
    Hmmm......

Originally posted by Eng34FF View Post
    We are very fortunate. All classes are paid for and provided by MFRI. If enough people are going, the company will provide a vehicle. If not, you have to take your own without compensation. We are fortunate that most classes are close by and the training facility with burn building is only about an hour away.

Leave a comment:

• BigNozzlePumper
    replied
    I am not that fortunate. We are a small department, and I have paid for ALL of my IFSAC schooling, hotels, meals, trans, everything. I do not complain about it, I'm just thankful for the opportunity to go get my certs done to better serve the community. Someday, maybe, we will be a little better funded to help future firefighters who may not have the money to accomplish this.

Leave a comment:

• MonkeyBiz
    replied
    When I went through, the my FD that I was on at the time paid for the academy, mileage if you didn't take the dept SUV, $7.00 hour while there that was held back until you passed the academy... which if I remember right was 780 hours.. so that check was a real incentive to pass. The FD I am on now, pays for the academy.. nothing else.

Leave a comment:

• Eng34FF
    replied
    We are very fortunate. All classes are paid for and provided by MFRI. If enough people are going, the company will provide a vehicle. If not, you have to take your own without compensation. We are fortunate that most classes are close by and the training facility with burn building is only about an hour away.

Leave a comment:

• monkybrainz
    replied
    sounds pretty close all round, so far all my training/books is coverd. not mileage but the schools isnt that far.

Leave a comment:

• HuntPA
    replied
    Our relief pays for the classes. It is up to the people taking them to get there, eat, and everything else. It's either that, or add more fundraising to cover that.

Leave a comment:

• FWDbuff
    replied
    Originally posted by tree68 View Post
    EMS classes are also free (and local), unless you are going for paramedic at the community college - then it's tuition as usual.
    Good point I forgot to mention.....We do provide ALS service, however most of our Medics are career. We don't have very many Volunteer Medics, however we do reimburse for training updates, con ed classes, etc. I think we will assist with Paramedic Classes and/or total reimbursement, based on the Member's individual attendance/participation record, and I believe they have to agree to provide at least 5 years of volunteer service upon completion of class, to receive total reimbursement.

Leave a comment:

• Bones42
    replied
    Originally posted by FWDbuff View Post
    All training (within reason) is paid for up front, and usually with no questions asked if you have a good attendance record with the Department. If a personal vehicle is used for transport to/from the training, you are also reimbursed mileage at the current federal reimbursement rate. Meals are also paid for if not provided with the training. Out of pocket expenses associated with the training is also reimbursed.
    Pretty close to that, we don't reimburse for mileage/meals.

Leave a comment:

300x600 Ad Unit (In-View)

Collapse

Upper 300x250

Collapse

Taboola

Collapse

Leader

Collapse
Working...
X